Why won't the prime graph correctly?
05-24-2019, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2019 05:22 PM by ijabbott.)
RE: Why won't the prime graph correctly?
I was playing around with plotting (in the Function app) the following function, which is a variant of the original function in this thread (I added the ABS()):

F1(X)=ABS(X^0.4)*(X+3)

As expected, values for X>=0 are plotted always, but values for X<0 are only plotted when "Allow complex output from real input" is selected in the Home Settings.

EDIT - THIS BIT IS WRONG:
Then I tried to override the "Allow complex output from real input" setting in the Symbolic Setup, but changing the "Complex" setting from "System" to "Off" or "On" didn't seem to have any effect on the values plotted - it still only depended on the setting in Home Settings. Any idea why that should be the case?

After repeating the above test, the "Complex" setting in "Symbolic Setup" does have an effect, although the On/Off setting is inverted (see below). I'm not sure what I was doing wrong the first time (I have installed a connectivity kit since then).

There are some other oddities about configuring the Complex setting in the Symbolic Setup. First of all, the setting here seems to be inverted. Setting it to "On" disables complex output from real inputs in the calculator. Setting it to "Off" enables complex output from real inputs in the calculator. Secondly, setting Complex to "Off" or "On" in the Symbolic Setup hides the complex display format setting in Home Settings. You just get a string that says "See Symbolic Setup", but the complex display format is not configurable in the Symbolic Setup.

(Note: I was using the HP Prime virtual calculator version from 2018-10-16 for the above tests.)

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why won't the prime graph correctly? - ijabbott - 05-24-2019 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)