The lack of handling root functions in hp prime
12-30-2018, 10:08 AM
RE: The lack of handling root functions in hp prime
Hello,
My two cents. I think that the era of calculators is over. What is the point of using them in this time and age? Yes, HP Prime is very capable calculating machine and nobody can deny that. It is also true that HP Prime has a lot of bugs and/or inconsistencies and this does not mean that it is the fault of prof. B.Parisse. In general it is amazing how much you can do with this calculator, but it is also true that it takes a lot of patience and perseverance to learn how to get the most out of it. What are graphing calculators for? The obvious and I think false answer is: to learn mathematics. I doubt that you can learn mathematics using for example calculator such as HP Prime. The HP Prime can only speed up your work and hopefully catch some mistakes in your work. The not so generally acknowledged fact is that mostly students are using graphing calcs. to 'cheet' if possible on exams. No graphing calc. will think for you,ever because if it could you become redundant and the calc. will not need you. Since, in many schools that care about real teaching you are not allowed to use the graphing calculators on exams so, the only role left to that calc is to help doing your studies and/or homework. My opinion is: why bother with that little and powerful 'toy' if you can get yourself a lot of real viewing estate with 13.3 in. convertible and install GIAC, XCAS, Mathematica, etc. or whatever your heart desires. This is what I will do in 2019, I am waiting for good and reasonably priced 13.3 in. convertible with the specs I want and I will buy it. What I write is in no way to disrespect and/or diminish the work prof. B. Parisse put in his project, but now it is the time to move on and why to doodle on that little screen if you can have 13.3 in. laptop. True, it takes more space and it does not fit in the pocket, but hey, who cares. The time will soon come that somebody will make real computer to put it in your pocket and the screen of your choosing you will be able to carry in your bag. Happy New Year 2019 for everybody.
John P.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The lack of handling root functions in hp prime - John P - 12-30-2018 10:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)