(48GX) SpeedUI 14.01 released:-)
08-29-2016, 04:38 PM
RE: [HP 48GX] SpeedUI 14.01 released:-)
(08-16-2016 06:03 AM)JDW Wrote:  
(08-14-2016 11:02 PM)Raymond Del Tondo Wrote:  Covered ports on an HP 48G Series calc normally means any RAM card in physical port 2, which also means logical ports from 2 to 32.

Raymond, today I was reading page 5 of the ALG48.pdf contained in the ALG48 archive. It says it "uses a special technique to avoid the usual slowdown associated with running a library from a covered port." But that the downside is that it "cannot be run from a covered port if the RAM card in Card Slot 1 is merged with user memory."

So I guess the reason you did not use that same "special technique" in SpeedUI is for the same reason?
I don't know which "special technique" is used in Alg48, but from the description and limitations Alg48 seems to temporarily remap the covered port containing Alg48 into an uncovered area. This is a possible config as long as the code doesn't call system routines which move RAM/ROM configuration themselves.

There are different ways to access covered data. The HP way via access pointers is relatively slow but flexible.

Filer48 (of which the source is available) shows how it can be made much faster.

The code behind the SpeedUI QSM mechanism uses access pointers to retrieve the QSM data.
Accessing port data/files is not the main topic of SpeedUI, and since that limitation has been resolved by Filer48, there was no need to hassle with it;-)

-- Ray
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [HP 48GX] SpeedUI 14.01 released:-) - Raymond Del Tondo - 08-29-2016 04:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)