Code formatting messed up...
11-10-2018, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2018 10:42 PM by ijabbott.)
RE: Code formatting messed up...
(11-09-2018 09:24 PM)Jonathan Busby Wrote:  I was editing sections of my RPL inner loop article today, and, what do you know : With the latest version of Firefox under Windows 10 Pro x64, the α ( Greek alpha ) characters are no longer bold Big Grin . On my Linux machine, even with the latest version of Firefox, the alphas are still bold though -- don't know what is going on exactly.

Jonathan

I don't know if Firefox's rendering engine (Gecko) uses the standard Linux desktop font glyph substitution mechanisms, but it probably uses the standard Linux fontconfig to perform font name substitution at least. So out of interest, what does the fc-match command show for "Monaco", "Consolas", "Courier", and "monospace" on your system? On mine, I get:

Code:
$ fc-match Monaco
DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"
$ fc-match Courier
LiberationMono-Regular.ttf: "Liberation Mono" "Regular"
$ fc-match Consolas
DejaVuSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Book"
$ fc-match monospace
DejaVuSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Book"

It didn't really find a match for "Monaco" at all and just spat out a default in that case, but for the others it at least recognised them as monospaced fonts and did its best to find an appropriate match.

From the small screenshot you posted, it looks like it might have matched Courier to "Nimbus Mono L Regular", which at least for the Type 1 font from Debian's "gsfonts" package, only contains a couple of Greek characters: Δ and μ. So any other Greek characters will be pulled in from other fonts installed on the system.

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Dieter - 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Dieter - 09-12-2018, 08:46 PM
RE: Code formatting messed up... - Dieter - 09-13-2018, 06:37 PM
RE: Code formatting messed up... - ijabbott - 11-10-2018 10:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)