Base Conversion & Logical Operations: Prime vs. 28S/28GX/50g on EASE OF USE
08-18-2018, 08:14 AM
RE: Base Conversion & Logical Operations: Prime vs. 28S/28GX/50g on EASE OF USE
(08-18-2018 07:06 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Well there doesn't seem to be a strong need for RPL-like base functions on the Prime.
The Prime has been released 5 years ago and still there is no program close to what you're looking for.

I believe the "need" is there but the app simply isn't. Five years is a long time. I can appreciate the fact HP is still coming out with firmware updates and has even come out with a new G2 hardware version (although such appears to have been necessitated by their inability to source components, more than a quest to improve features and performance). It is curious why there are not more apps out now. There were commercial libraries sold for older HP calculators, and even fancy features on a card like Meta Kernel.

(08-18-2018 07:06 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  But it seems nowadays that there are less and less programmers and more talkers than makers.

Nice jab. I jabbed back in my video though with my "ruffled features" comment. :-) The fact remains that not everyone who uses a calculator can or is interested in writing code, but that doesn't mean those people wouldn't be interested in a paid app to accomplish what they want. Again, I refer you back to the libraries that were sold for older HP calculators. Nobody went around mocking their fellow HP calculator users saying, "Hey man, stop asking for new features and just program it yourself." They didn't have to back then because companies knew they could sell software add-ons if they released them, so they did and people bought them for many, many years.

If HP doesn't want to commit resources to add free Apps, then they should just release some paid apps. Make them cheap enough and most Prime users would probably buy them. For those of you who think this a good idea, a thread already exists to take your feature suggestions here:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1817.html

All said, I believe the Prime could handle Base Conversion and Logical Operations faster and easier with a dedicated app. Either add soft menus in that new app akin to what we have on the 28S / 48GX / 50g, or dream up a new UI in that app for speed and efficiency when performing base conversions and logical operations.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Base Conversion & Logical Operations: Prime vs. 28S/28GX/50g on EASE OF USE - JDW - 08-18-2018 08:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)