Question on '71B Hardware Interfaces
06-17-2018, 11:03 PM
RE: Question on '71B Hardware Interfaces
I agree completely with Sylvain... the Card Reader is cute, but a FRAM Module gives you the ultimate possible utility for any kind of RAM/ROM device that could work in this machine. Get it while you can. I believe this is only the 2nd FRAM module ever sold after the initial limited lots were purchased.

As well, the PIL-Box is as must-have as a FRAM module, and in some ways even more useful, as it provides easy, quick and reliable access to hundreds of disk/tape images full of files including BASIC programs, LEX files, Forth files, Technical notes, assembler source files, etc. There is literally more available than you could ever check out in a lifetime.

In addition to virtual media, it also can provide virtual devices for Display, a Printer, and even remote terminal use (use you PC screen and keyboard to operate your 71b).

If you have to prioritize, I'd say the PIL-Box gives you more all-around exploration and usability options, while the FRAM module provides 512KB of RAM or emulated ROM, enough to fill the 71B address space (and let you install ROM images for all the HP and 3rd party application ROMs).

Best case, get both.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question on '71B Hardware Interfaces - rprosperi - 06-17-2018 11:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)