SandMatrix Module becomes the "Mean Matrix Machine"
06-18-2018, 11:25 PM
RE: SandMatrix Module becomes the "Mean Matrix Machine"
Hi, Ángel:

(06-18-2018 05:10 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  
(06-17-2018 10:26 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  It's "whose", not "which" ... 8-D

It ain't the first time I was critizized for/to my grammar yet didn't no saw those coming from a fellow comrade. [...] but at the end of the day I'd rather reserve "whose" for people and friendly pets ;-)

[...]that you knew inside out at least when you wrote the "Long Live..." article- - which (or was it whose?) has made its way into the ROM

[...]don't forget you're using HP-BASIC (with complex number support, no less!!), which (or is it whose?) gives you access to a wonderful way[...]

Whatever. If you want to mock my well-meaning correction and play stubborn that's up to you.

Seems to me you're under the delusion that "whose" applies only to animated objects (such as people and pets) while "which" applies to inanimate ones (such as projects or their highlights) regardless of context but that's not so, context matters and in this case the key hint is "possessive" (highlights of the project), which is the reason why in your sentence "whose" would be utterly correct but "which" is an eyesore.

"Whose" implies possession. "Which" does not. But as they say, "You can lead a horse to water, but ..."

Quote:There are breakthrough enhancements and gap-filling ones. Of course the zero diagonalization belongs to the second kind and was only added to take even further advantage of the existing code for the MIDN function.

Understood. I thought so.

Quote:No need to sing the excellencies of a well-designed subarray handling functionality, I've been suffering from the lack thereof ever since.

I'm sure you do.

Quote:The thing is this project's initial goal was to provide support for the CL Y-Registers. That alone justified a new release, and getting it done wasn't trivial.

I'm sure it wasn't. Matter of fact, I'm sure very few people would have accomplished the feat, if any.

Quote:The recursive approach you used in the minor expansion routine is rather impossible with the function set in the Advantage, precisely due to the lack of capable subarray handling capability.

Precisely. Anyway, the determinant by minors expansion I mentioned was only meant as an example. As I told you in a past post, if I were to include a complex determinant function in a ROM I would never use the minors expansion approach because its running time and memory requirements make it completely unsuitable except for very low orders, 5x5 ot 6x6 at most, not to mention the use of recursion.

The only reason I posted code implementing it was because it's really easy to implement (4 lines, 3 lines if subarray handling were available), but for an NxN production program meant to be included in a ROM I would use LU decomposition and that's it. Discussing minors expansion is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the desirability of implementing subarray handling.

Quote:[...] but there's where the MCODE becomes real spaghetti quality, all very discouraging to patch. Also I ran out of available room (and frankly stamina, don't underestimate the taxing nature of the beast) to do more changes at least for this time...

I don't underestimate the nature of the beast, at all . As I said above, I don't think there are many people (if any) who could do it apart from yourself. If anything, perhaps I'm overestimating you ... ;-)

Quote:Allay your fears, I know your comments are constructive and in no way take them the wrong way.

I'm not so sure. Judging from the between-the-lines tone of your post I think that perhaps I might have struck a nerve with my well-meaning comments. If so (even though you wouldn't recognize it), I'm truly sorry, that wasn't my intention, it won't happen again.

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: SandMatrix Module becomes the "Mean Matrix Machine" - Valentin Albillo - 06-18-2018 11:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)