How does flash memory work on wp 34s?
05-11-2018, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 03:40 AM by burkhard.)
RE: How does flash memory work on wp 34s?
(05-11-2018 02:06 AM)mfleming Wrote:  Reads have negligible (essentially zero) effect on flash content. Once you reach the point where the code is stable and unlikely to change, you can save it to flash.

~Mark

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about reads. Virtually every car engine worldwide sold in the last couple of decades (hundreds of millions of them) runs on ROM that's physically stored in flash. There are gobs and gobs of reads to those addresses occurring every 10ms or faster the whole time the engine is running.

Even reflashing for your own development is pretty safe. I wouldn't worry about that 10,000 limit, (which is a spec. minimum—the real figure is probably much higher). In my job, we flash modified software to controllers many times during its development. I don't recall having one ever with the flash that got "used up". Not saying it can't happen, but using it the way it is designed; it is pretty robust.

What I wouldn't do is make code the itself repeatedly writes to flash as a scratchpad or otherwise treating it as RAM. That is what real RAM is for. But storing programs (especially mostly completed, stable ones) is no problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How does flash memory work on wp 34s? - burkhard - 05-11-2018 03:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)