HP Calculator Highlights since the 1980
04-02-2018, 10:14 PM
RE: HP Calculator Highlights since the 1980
(04-02-2018 09:55 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  You may not realize it but the 48/49/50 series, plus all the Pioneers, all used the core math routines written initially for the 71B when the Saturn CPU was new. There have certainly been many tweaks, enhancements, bug-fixes, etc. but the core IEEE Math routines created in Saturn assembler form the basis of the actual math routines used for the next 30 years. One of the original developers has commented that it's likely many of those routines survive untouched all the way through the 50g.

So, yes I agree it's too bad there was no follow-on BASIC product, but the core proved to be a useful framework to bolt RPL onto, and build Pioneer machines around (both Algebraic and RPN families.)

I was pretty sure that the work done on the 71B and the 15C was ported in newer versions (even in the Prime? I read somewhere that they port the code slowly).
As you correctly identified, though, my point was about a basic system with such libraries. It would have been superior to the current ti/casio basic versions in my opinion.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Calculator Highlights since the 1980 - pier4r - 04-02-2018 10:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)