USB powered "fake" battery pack adapter?
04-15-2018, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2018 08:24 PM by pier4r.)
RE: USB powered "fake" battery pack adapter?
(04-15-2018 11:57 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  The pragmatist in me would of course reply that in such cases you picked the wrong tool for the job,

Not at all. You have to consider all the factors. I already replied some months ago to TheKaneB (that seems disappeared) about this.

Do I need to compute something intensive and I have a short deadline? I won't do it on a calculator. I may fire up my laptop or I would buy lambda credits on amazon EC2.

Do I want to solve interesting problems for fun? Well I don't do it on a computer if I can. I try to use embedded or mobile devices.

Do I have computers, although dated, that all the time can solve quite large problems? Yes. Do I solve problems with them? Not really. Why? Because somehow I am not inspired by the setup.
Am I inspired to solve problems with the calculators? Well yes, a lot.

When I see a computer I think "oh, it is used at least for the task X, Y and Z" when I see a calculator, I need to find an interesting problem for me with which it can be used, otherwise it lays there doing nothing. (n1)

Same with android, where fortunately I know I can "torture" every android device that is not anymore my daily driver with the Prime app.

Since there is a huge family of problems a calculator can help me to solve that are also interesting for me (the hard part is to find them through the right question!), I am set for looong time. I wouldn't be committed to do the same with a computer, since, as I said, a computer has already plenty of stuff to do.
Maybe with old and limited computers it can be similar (like a commodore or a 486 or a pentium), but I don't have any.

But for the same reason, sometimes the problem I want to solve it requires time and so I need a long lasting source of energy.

Edit, and the second link about the pseudo battery is super cool! Another great point for the idea. But I don't get it. There is only one active battery and the others are dummies?
For the current there shouldn't be a problem, but if I am not mistaken, shouldn't be there the same voltage for all the slot? If they are just small resistances, wouldn't it be bad?

----
n1: indeed in theory I could use the 50g for all the tasks, instead I try to assign tasks to different devices as I see them fitting.

ti 34 from 1987 -> stats on the bank account. (it is meh for everything else). Note: solar.
sharp 506w -> first calculator of choice. Note: solar.
casio 9860G series -> when the 506w can help but the amount of manual keystrokes are too much. Little programs.
50g -> longer programs and data collection.
prime -> really big problems.
ti 89 -> Tichess (that eats the batteries) . Not yet decided on the rest, depends if I find a usb source.
ti nspire clickpad -> ultra clumsy without the ti software. No USB charge. So far not yet decided. It was an attempt to check if I could have used it for programming when the 50g was at its limits.
free42 -> android / mac , when I don't have the 506w.

Now I think the marginal utility to get other calculators is getting thin, as I don't have much more problems to assign at the moment.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: USB powered "fake" battery pack adapter? - pier4r - 04-15-2018 08:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)