CAS : strange error on simplify
09-13-2015, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 11:07 PM by primer.)
RE: CAS : strange error on simplify
(09-11-2015 01:45 AM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  I wouldn't call that an error- - it is just a warning message (...)

Well, don’t call it an error if you want, but I think it’s still a real issue :
  • First : It’s unexpected to get warning here for such a simple expression. (even if there is probably good a reason to get warning, it's maybe not obvious to every one, as it's easy to perform this manually with the only knowledge i^2=-1)
  • Second : the message does not mean anything, it may be helpful to developer but not to user! (and I have to speak about the way it’s displayed : the first time I beleived my prime went crash, that's awful… at least we could have a kind of msgbox with OK)
  • Third : (I recently discover that) the result is just WRONG, I manually perform the simplify, and I don’t find same result… (I doubled check, if you find I made an error please let me know… otherwise you may conclude there is something wrong.)

And yes, as I wrote, changing the Symplify mode does change the behavior, as Brad Barton experienced it too (thank you, I'm not alone Wink ).

I took screenshots (virtual hp prime) :

-> here with minimal simplyfication, no warning, wrong result.

[Image: 2s93iib.png]

-> here with maximal simplyfication, weird warning, same wrong result.

[Image: 2mchzwx.png]

-> here the manual and detailled simplyfication I made on paper with expected result (sorry for bad scan quality)

[Image: eqse8o.png]

So, I think that both warning msg and result are issues.
My wish is only to try to tackle bugs to make it better. If people think it can be enhanced/fixed that's would be great.

Best Regards,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
CAS : strange error on simplify - primer - 09-10-2015, 10:28 PM
RE: CAS : strange error on simplify - primer - 09-13-2015 08:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)