Integration: TI-86 & Casio Algebra 2.0 Plus
03-23-2024, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2024 05:16 PM by carey.)
Integration: TI-86 & Casio Algebra 2.0 Plus
Valentin’s excellent set of 2024 PI day examples for vintage HP calculators includes in the 1st example the integral \( \int_{0}^{1} \frac{tan^{-1} tanh^{-1} x}{x} dx \). When attempting this integral on two of my favorite non-hp calculators, the TI-86 and the Casio Algebra 2.0 Plus, I found it interesting that the TI-86 proceeded (albeit slowly) to an answer (screenshot 1) but the Casio Algebra 2.0 Plus gave an “Ma Error” (math error) if either the lower limit was 0 or, independently, if the upper limit was 1 (only one screenshot shown) and it was necessary to back away slightly from both limits of integration (0 and 1, substituting, for example, 0.001 and 0.999) to obtain a result.

My guess is that the Casio “freaked out” (to use technical language :) at the lower integration limit of 0 because of apparent division by 0 and ignored that the integrand approaches a limit of 1 at x=0. My guess for the Casio balking at the upper integration limit of 1 is that it’s a cusp, and ignored that the integrand approaches a limit of \( \frac{\pi}{2} \) at x=1.

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts about this discrepancy between the numerical integration methods and results for these two calculators. Thanks!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Integration: TI-86 & Casio Algebra 2.0 Plus - carey - 03-23-2024 05:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)