Repairing HP mini data cassette
03-13-2024, 07:04 PM
RE: Repairing HP mini data cassette
Dear all,

Tony Duell's tape repair guide, as suggested by Dave, was very helpful for repairing the mini cassette. As Tony expected and described, 2 parts had a problem:
- the transparent starting tape became separated from the magnetic tape by loosing the adhesive power of the adhesive tape. That was rather easy to repair, using a 1/8'' splicing block, as is used in tape audio splicing;
- the pressure felt, used for pressing the tape against the magnetic head, had loosened from the copper spring. It was easy to repair by cleaning and gluing the copper spring and felt together again.
I missed one thing in Tony's guide which I learned from looking at repairing an audio cassette tape on Youtube: the tape tends to unroll from the tape centre disk. The tape can be easy kept in place by putting a small adhesive part of a (yellow..) note sheet on top of the uprolled tape and disk. Afterwards it is easy to remove because of its small adhesive power.
The tape now runs in my digital cassette tape, can be initialized and be written and read like a new tape...
Thank you for your suggestions.

Kindest regards,
Henk Schellen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Repairing HP mini data cassette - hesc - 03-07-2024, 06:55 PM
RE: Repairing HP mini data cassette - hesc - 03-08-2024, 06:58 PM
RE: Repairing HP mini data cassette - hesc - 03-08-2024, 08:10 PM
RE: Repairing HP mini data cassette - hesc - 03-13-2024 07:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)