HP-15C CE woes: 1 bug, 2 limitations, 3 questions
08-08-2023, 08:28 PM
RE: HP-15C CE woes: 1 bug, 2 limitations, 3 questions
(08-08-2023 05:34 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  3) Is the HP-15C CE upgradable by the user (or someone else offering the service,) using this or that cable and this or that connection to a laptop, say ? And if yes, could the embedded HP-16C's buggy code be patched and uploaded to the CE ?

It is entirely technically possible. Issues are:
1. There is no commercially available cable
2. It is unknown whether updated firmware will ever be made available by HP.

It is my speculation that the 16C issues are demonstrative of a bug in the Nut emulation code, as I doubt that HP has touched the 16C microcode at all. If this is the case, it raises the possibility that there could be very subtle effects on the 15C (and 12C) as well.

Possibilities for firmware fixes:
1. HP could fix it.
2. A third party could reverse-engineer the HP ARM firmware and fix it. (fairly difficult)
3. A third party could write or port a different Nut emulator to the HP hardware (less difficult, but could lose performance compared to the highly-optimized HP Nut emulator)

I am slowly working on #3, motivated less by bug fixes than by providing more advanced features.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-15C CE woes: 1 bug, 2 limitations, 3 questions - brouhaha - 08-08-2023 08:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)