HHC 2022 - Programming Contest - no responses until after 6am Monday 6am CENTRAL
09-15-2022, 02:17 PM
RE: HHC 2022 - Programming Contest - no responses until after 6am Monday 6am CENTRAL
(09-15-2022 01:33 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  
(09-14-2022 06:41 PM)John Keith Wrote:  No.

Good question, Wikipedia has an entry for Lycrel numbers .

I was about to post with what I found via the internet-search-engine search that I should have done prior to my initial inquiry, but Craig beat me to it while I was preparing my response. Since I found some info, I'll go ahead and provide:

Quote:A Lychrel number is a natural number that cannot form a palindrome through the iterative process of repeatedly reversing its digits and adding the resulting numbers.

It is conjectured that 196 and other numbers that have not yet yielded a palindrome are Lychrel numbers, but no number in base ten has yet been proven to be Lychrel. Numbers which have not been demonstrated to be non-Lychrel are informally called "candidate Lychrel" numbers.

As Craig noted, 196 is the smallest candidate Lychrel number, having been reversed and added to create a number with a billion digits with no palindrome yet found.

Dave - My mind is going - I can feel it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HHC 2022 - Programming Contest - no responses until after 6am Monday 6am CENTRAL - Jeff O. - 09-15-2022 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)