DM42 vs hp49gp (performance-wise)
12-14-2021, 09:33 AM
RE: DM42 vs hp49gp (performance-wise)
Hello Bob,

(12-14-2021 02:32 AM)roberto_abraham Wrote:  I've got a DM42 and I have used Urania a fair bit on a HP50g.

Has DM42 become your daily driver and/or have you replaced HP50g with DM42?

Quote:I think individual programs based on algorithms in Meeus' book (which is pretty much the gold standard for moderate accuracy positional astronomy on small machines) are pretty easy to find for the HP41, so there are lots of great HP41 astronomy programs for things like planet positions.

I was not aware that Meeus' book is still relevant today.

Quote:And the DM42 definitely has the horsepower needed to calculate things like planet positions without annoying long waits.

Do you consider that DM42 also has enough capacity for the project I intend to do?

Quote:One caveat though is that the astronomy programs I've seen for the HP41 are mostly self-contained things that calculate interesting quantities but they take input and provide output in ways that don't make it easy to chain programs together.

I see...Can I also bet that most of the HP41 programs are not available in the source form?

Quote:As a result, I haven't found anything that can replace Urania on my DM42, though I think if you're keen enough to try to produce such a thing the calculator is powerful enough to allow you to do that.

Hmm...any rough estimation what kind of performance one might expect on DM42 in comparison with similar program written for HP49g/50?

Quote:P.S. I'm an astrophysicist and this is the first time in my life I've ever tried to help somebody cast a horoscope! :-)

Ohh, I sincerely admit it!

In the past (Vedic time), the two sciences were tied very close to each other and actually it was not possible (aka allowed) to someone to study Vedic astrology (Jyotish) before mastering Sanskrit, mathematic and astronomy - take a look at this short article.

Unfortunately, today, every fool can buy/use some application and start with "predictions". Sad

As law of karma is an "extension" of Newton's third law (FA = −FB) explaining there is reaction for each of our deeds.

Many people are despising (Vedic) astrology considering it pseudo-science e.g. mathematics is a language of the physics describing its phenomena, similarly it's not that planets/stars are creating our destiny, but they are just the language which does describe it like the clock's hands "describe" time and not influencing it. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
DM42 vs hp49gp (performance-wise) - gour - 12-13-2021, 02:12 PM
RE: DM42 vs hp49gp (performance-wise) - gour - 12-14-2021 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)