TI Bans all Assembly Programming, Casio Limits Add-ins. Please don't follow suit HP.
06-02-2020, 06:58 AM
TI Bans all Assembly Programming, Casio Limits Add-ins. Please don't follow suit HP.
(06-02-2020 04:38 AM)medwatt Wrote:  You might be right, but I don't see the point in waiting for 5 years for something like this when something like the Nspire CAS II will be having it soon.
Not only you certainly won't be waiting for 5 years before the Prime grows Python capability (a build containing an early Python implementation become available for a short amount of time months ago, and there's high market pressure for Python... I have no inside information, I'm not a beta-tester, but I wouldn't be surprised if a HP Prime OS version made available around the BTS season provided something)... but also, the Nspire series is actually a great example of users having to wait for years for TI to implement highly wanted features, you know Wink
Namely:
* 12 years for the Nspire TI-Basic to provide some graphics drawing commands. Users had been requesting them right from the beginning, because the Nspire's TI-Basic was inferior in that regard to the TI-81's Basic from the early 1990s;
* nearly, or more than, 6 years for Python... the feature was requested directly to TI management at the end of 2014 (I participated in writing the presentation), and I can't know whether we were the first ones requesting it.

Both features are only provided on the CX II (CAS), despite the fact that the CX I would be able to run all of the improvements that TI is intentionally reserving for the CX II, albeit somewhat more slowly. The CX II (CAS) hardware has neither more RAM, nor more Flash, nor AFAIK more 2D graphics acceleration than the CX I (CAS) hardware. The sole improvement is on the CPU speed: ~2.5x, from 150+ MHz (on newer OS versions - TI changed the LCD and had to add a task which constantly copies the screen data to the rotated format used by the new LCD, at significant CPU cost) to 400- MHz. Clearly, a 2.5x CPU speedup is nothing to sneer at, but the '2011 CX I would already be so much faster at Python than the '2015 TI-eZ80 series that it isn't funny. Not providing Python and better TI-Basic onto the CX I series is a non-technical decision.

If you don't have one yet, buying a CX II (CAS) would be supporting TI's loathsome policies, and I'm not sure you want to do that, either.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
TI Bans all Assembly Programming, Casio Limits Add-ins. Please don't follow suit HP. - debrouxl - 06-02-2020 06:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)