German translation of the HP 48S and HP 48G user guide
10-18-2018, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2018 02:45 PM by burkhard.)
RE: German translation of the HP 48S and HP 48G user guide
(10-18-2018 02:33 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(10-18-2018 07:44 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Not with printed material. All you'll get by scanning printed documents at that resolution is a faithful reproduction of the print screen and a load of moirage.

Only with poor quality downsampling algorithms. As long as your image viewer uses something like the Lanczos algorithm (or better) it's not a major problem. And with higher DPI screens becoming more popular, it is becoming less and less of a concern. I'm all in favor of scanning at 300 dpi.

I agree. It drives me batty to finally locate a PDF of some scarce old manual and then find that somebody scanned at it 100 dpi. In the interest of squeezing the file, the images are often worthless. That happens all the time with slide rule manuals, where it REALLY is important to see those fine lines in the drawings :-) It astounds me that people put all that effort in and then don't (apparently) themselves look through the file afterward to see that it's utility is severely compromised by their byte-frugality.

I understand for things that were scanned in the 1990s, but storage today is cheap. Don't waste your time scanning archive material at such low resolution.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: German translation of the HP 48S and HP 48G user guide - burkhard - 10-18-2018 02:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)