HP Forums
Safari book online account shared. - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not remotely HP Calculators (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Safari book online account shared. (/thread-9024.html)

Safari book online account shared. - pier4r - 09-09-2017 08:47 PM

Based on the discussions arose in this thread: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-8989.html

What do you think if we do a safari book online account that is shared (that is, a reliable person owns it and we share the costs)?

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/

I mean 400€ per year are a bit too much for some of us (there are already so many good suggestions that 400€ can be spent on books to buy without risking that are not good enough). But if we are 10, we can go down to 40€/year that is affordable.

Would it be an option?

An alternative that I found is ACM (association of computing machinery) digital library, but it is less filled with interesting books (according to the claim of O'reilly).

RE: Safari book online account shared. - Dave Britten - 09-10-2017 01:29 AM

I would be very surprised if that didn't violate their terms of service.

RE: Safari book online account shared. - Mark Hardman - 09-10-2017 02:25 AM

(09-10-2017 01:29 AM)Dave Britten Wrote:  I would be very surprised if that didn't violate their terms of service.

It does.

In the Service's Membership Agreement, under:

1. SCOPE OF USE.

"The Service is provided for your personal use only. Sharing user names, passwords, memberships, and/or accounts is prohibited."

RE: Safari book online account shared. - Paul Dale - 09-10-2017 05:46 AM

I've got a safari books online account through my work, there is no problem viewing books page at a time in a browser but the number I can download for offline use is severely limited and, for many books, completely unavailable.

Pauli

RE: Safari book online account shared. - pier4r - 09-10-2017 06:18 AM

For the terms of service . I did not check it but I suspected it . Still I find it a bit better than going to sci hub.

Pauli. Good to know that you are limited to online view, mostly.

RE: Safari book online account shared. - AlexFekken - 09-10-2017 06:35 AM

Unless I am really bad at searching Safari does not currently have "The Mathematical-Function Computation Handbook". So no excuse to become criminals...

FYI, I was offered an annual subscription for A$250 (locked-in) after being a intermittent (but legal) month-to-month subscriber for a while.

RE: Safari book online account shared. - Paul Dale - 09-10-2017 07:39 AM

(09-10-2017 06:35 AM)AlexFekken Wrote:  Unless I am really bad at searching Safari does not currently have "The Mathematical-Function Computation Handbook".

Wrong publisher.

Pauli

RE: Safari book online account shared. - pier4r - 09-10-2017 08:01 AM

(09-10-2017 06:35 AM)AlexFekken Wrote:  Unless I am really bad at searching Safari does not currently have "The Mathematical-Function Computation Handbook". So no excuse to become criminals...

FYI, I was offered an annual subscription for A$250 (locked-in) after being a intermittent (but legal) month-to-month subscriber for a while.

Well, I was not thinking about that book in particular but books in general. I did some searches using engineering mathematics and it did not look bad.

RE: Safari book online account shared. - AlexFekken - 09-10-2017 09:48 AM

(09-10-2017 08:01 AM)pier4r Wrote:  Well, I was not thinking about that book in particular but books in general. I did some searches using engineering mathematics and it did not look bad.

I certainly agree with that and probably wouldn't have taken an annual subscription just for the IT books.

RE: Safari book online account shared. - AlexFekken - 09-10-2017 10:05 AM

(09-10-2017 07:39 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Wrong publisher.
Perhaps.

I have tried to find a complete list of publishers on Safari but can't find one. It certainly does include the IT books of Apress, which is "a division of Springer". But I can't find any Springer-branded books, such as the Graduate Texts in Mathematics or the Heidelberger Taschenbucher series, so you are probably right.

RE: Safari book online account shared. - d b - 09-12-2017 04:40 PM

Dave and me talked a bit about this thread. I see nothing wrong with sharing knowledge and Dave is all about that. That's what the MoHPC is about. We and two others are a bit worried about POSSIBLE violations of safari's TOS being facilitated here. It does sound like there are at least two different types of account with their own different TOS though, and maybe more.

I'm going to lock this thread but leave it with all posts and links up. One link is internal to this site anyway and the other is free advertising for safari. I hope that's enough. If Dave, Gene, or Katie find more info, we might unlock or delete it. Gene knows a bit about textbook publishing specifically.

No blame or problem. It's just that the museum might look like a target for some hungry lawyer, even though this is a less-than non profit organization where people regularly post ideas (such as this one) to be dissected.