The Mathematical-Function Computation Handbook
09-05-2017, 05:07 PM
The Mathematical-Function Computation Handbook
The Mathematical-Function Computation Handbook - Programming Using the MathCW Portable Software Library

A new book that may be of interest to some. It's quite expensive though.

Code:
@book{DBLP:books/sp/Beebe17,
  author    = {Nelson H. F. Beebe},
  title     = {The Mathematical-Function Computation Handbook - Programming Using
               the MathCW Portable Software Library},
  publisher = {Springer},
  year      = {2017},
  url       = {https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-64110-2},
  doi       = {10.1007/978-3-319-64110-2},
  isbn      = {978-3-319-64109-6},
  timestamp = {Tue, 22 Aug 2017 17:02:37 +0200},
  biburl    = {http://dblp.dagstuhl.de/rec/bib/books/sp/Beebe17},
  bibsource = {dblp computer science bibliography, http://dblp.org}
}
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2017, 07:07 AM
RE: The Mathematical-Function Computation Handbook
Thank you very much for this interesting link. Yes, the printed version really IS expensive (144.28 Euro) but thank God a PDF version can be downloaded free of charge at the link you provided.

Best regards

Karl
09-06-2017, 07:12 AM
(09-06-2017 07:07 AM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  Thank you very much for this interesting link. Yes, the printed version really IS expensive (144.28 Euro) but thank God a PDF version can be downloaded free of charge at the link you provided.

Best regards

Karl

Unless I'm mistaken, each chapter costs 30 $ or the whole work for ~119 $. Free of charge, it seems, are only the indexes.
09-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Try sci-hub ;-)
09-07-2017, 06:56 AM
... my download consists of 1145 pages in a file of 30 MB. Try yourself :-)

Best regards

Karl
09-07-2017, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 07:36 AM by toml_12953.)
(09-07-2017 06:56 AM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  ... my download consists of 1145 pages in a file of 30 MB. Try yourself :-)

Best regards

Karl

I tried and only got the index free. Each chapter is available for sale. Do you have an account with Springer? If so, then that's why you get the entire book at no extra cost.

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-07-2017, 10:23 AM
(09-07-2017 07:34 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  ... only got the index free. Each chapter is available for sale...
My purview revealed slightly more available downloads:
Download Preface 1 PDF (158.3 KB)
Download Sample Pages 2 PDF (311.1 KB )
Download Table of contents PDF (176.3 KB)
Plus a link to Additional Material
however, the remaining links offered either a purchase for $29.95 / chapter OR a preview, in which I could only view the first two pages. I don't have a Springer account: my web visit closely mirrors your post.

Hope this helps, BEST!
SlideRule
09-07-2017, 12:09 PM
maybe he has the springer access, like a student of a university.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-07-2017, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 01:26 PM by SlideRule.)
ALL

As an instructor in Technical Mathematics, my educational institution has instructor / educator courtesy access, so I also have access to the electronic version of the book. A quote from page viii in the preface may be of some interest to this forum:
"because a substantial portion of the human population seems to have a fear of mathematics, or at least finds it uncomfortable and unfamiliar, this book takes care to minimize the reader’s exposure to mathematics. There are many research papers on the elementary and special functions that provide the mathematical detail that is a necessary foundation for computer implementations, but in most cases, we do not need to deal with it directly. As long as you have some familiarity with programming in at least one common language, and you can recall some of your high-school algebra, and are willing to accept the results of a few short excursions into calculus, you should be able to understand this book, and learn much from it".

BEST!
SlideRule

emphasis in BOLD mine
09-07-2017, 07:51 PM
nice!

09-08-2017, 07:00 AM
(09-07-2017 12:09 PM)pier4r Wrote:  maybe he has the springer access, like a student of a university.

... no, I don't have a Special Springer Access. After all These discussions I guess either I was lucky or there was a technical issue on the Springer Server side.

Best regards

Karl
09-08-2017, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2017 12:42 PM by SlideRule.)
(09-08-2017 07:00 AM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  ... either I was lucky or there was a technical issue on the Springer Server side...

Good SNAG, enjoy!

BEST!
SlideRule

ps: I wouldn't mind a 'courtesy' copy of "Aquifer Test Solutions", if you ever give it a confirming go {Smile}.
09-08-2017, 01:29 PM
(09-08-2017 07:00 AM)Karl-Ludwig Butte Wrote:  ... no, I don't have a Special Springer Access. After all These discussions I guess either I was lucky or there was a technical issue on the Springer Server side.

What link (where on the page) did you use?

The "Download PDF" link yields only the Front Pages/Contents. There is also a link on the 2nd page the similarly yields the Final Pages/Index. I don't see other download links. Can you still see/use the same link that worked earlier?

--Bob Prosperi
09-08-2017, 02:39 PM
The book is available through libgen which seems to be a subsidary to the well known sci-hub. Paste the ISBN into sci-hub and follow the links....
09-08-2017, 03:58 PM
...and if you can please make a donation to sci-hub - she's doing a great job of freeing our information against impossible odds.

Richard
09-09-2017, 12:37 AM
(09-08-2017 02:39 PM)rncgray Wrote:  The book is available through libgen which seems to be a subsidary to the well known sci-hub. Paste the ISBN into sci-hub and follow the links....

Where on sci-hub? Pasting into the search box on https://scihub.org/search/
does not yield anything usable, that I could see; wading through all the ads is a pain...

Did you mean somewhere else?

--Bob Prosperi
09-09-2017, 05:25 AM
I think sci-hub moved to the .io domain.
09-09-2017, 07:45 AM
(09-08-2017 03:58 PM)rncgray Wrote:  ...and if you can please make a donation to sci-hub - she's doing a great job of freeing our information against impossible odds.
Our information? What makes you think you have any right to read the book unless you either have the physical book in front of you or the author (or his publisher) granted you access to an electronic copy (either for money or out of courtesy)? It's up to him, who probably spent a few man-years of his time to write the book, to grant or deny you access to his work solely on his conditions, not up to you to declare some non-existant redistribution or even ownership right on it.

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
09-09-2017, 09:08 AM
I was referring to Elsevier's, and others, practice in general. I have to pay them to read my own published research.

Richard
09-09-2017, 11:29 AM
(09-09-2017 12:37 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Did you mean somewhere else?

for sci hub, always check wikipedia. Has uptodate domain names.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)