HP Forums
integrales de funciones trigonometricas hiperbolicas - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: integrales de funciones trigonometricas hiperbolicas (/thread-12815.html)

integrales de funciones trigonometricas hiperbolicas - eduardo_MO0@hotmail.com - 04-16-2019 09:13 PM

I recently tried to calculate an integral with hyperbolic trigonometric functions and I got the result wrong, please notify me of this to hp to solve it in the next firmware update, so I think I only think that the tanh (x), the sinh ( x) and the cosh (x) are fine, I do not know if more things fail[/size][/font]

RE: integrales de funciones trigonometricas hiperbolicas - Wes Loewer - 04-17-2019 04:18 AM

Please indicate which specific integral gave you the wrong result.

RE: integrales de funciones trigonometricas hiperbolicas - Tim Wessman - 04-17-2019 04:28 AM

I suspect "wrong result" will simply be "not in the form I think it should be", but we shall see...

Unless you provide your input, and expected output. Nobody can help in any way.

RE: integrales de funciones trigonometricas hiperbolicas - Aries - 04-17-2019 06:17 AM

(04-16-2019 09:13 PM)eduardo_MO0@hotmail.com Wrote:  I recently tried to calculate an integral with hyperbolic trigonometric functions and I got the result wrong, please notify me of this to hp to solve it in the next firmware update, so I think I only think that the tanh (x), the sinh ( x) and the cosh (x) are fine, I do not know if more things fail[/size][/font]

Could you please show any example ?
Thanks and best,

Aries Wink

RE: integrales de funciones trigonometricas hiperbolicas - Carlos295pz - 04-20-2019 02:02 AM

At integrating an equivalent to tanh(x)' the result is not as expected. There is no problem with sinh and cosh.

[Image: 46923421524_872517f26b_o.png]

Observation, using an equivalent expression returns the same result.

[Image: 46923421474_c4177df590_o.png]

RE: integrales de funciones trigonometricas hiperbolicas - Wes Loewer - 04-20-2019 04:21 AM

If I were doing this integral by hand, I would do the following:
∫(1-tanh(x)^2) dx = ∫sech(x)^2 dx = tanh(x)+C

The Prime CAS gives the result as -2/((e^x)^2+1)+C

At first glance, these might look different, but since tanh(x) - 1 = -2/((e^x)^2+1), then the two expressions differ only by a constant. This means that the two expressions are both correct, they just have different integration constants.

If you look at other CAS's, you'll see different but equivalent results.
Maxima: 2/(e^(-2*x)+1)
Nspire: −2/(e^(2*x)+1)
WolframAlpha: tanh(x)

When my students say that they got a different answer than the textbook, I encourage them to graph both results. If they get the same graph but shifted up or down, then they can be reasonable certain that their answers are equivalent.

RE: integrales de funciones trigonometricas hiperbolicas - Wes Loewer - 04-22-2019 06:43 AM

I was asked privately about the integral ∫tanh(x) dx

The Prime gives
∫(tanh(x),x) --> ln((e^x)^2+1)-x
which is correct.

By hand I would have done the following:

∫tanh(x) dx = ∫sinh(x)/cosh(x) dx = ln(cosh(x))+C

but this can be rewritten as

= ln((e^x+e^-x)/2) + C
= ln((e^(2x)+1)/(2e^x)) + C
= ln(e^2x)+1) - ln(2e^x) + C
= ln(e^2x)+1) - ln(2) - ln(e^x) + C
= ln(e^2x)+1) - x + (C-ln(2))
= ln(e^2x)+1) - x + D

Once again, the correct answers can be rewritten such that they differ by only a constant.

I've learned over the years that whenever a CAS's antiderivative looks different than mine, it's usually that they differ by a constant, or my antiderivative is wrong. :-)