Different cases for the 41 series?
09-28-2017, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2017 09:07 AM by BarryT.)
Different cases for the 41 series?
Hi all,
. Does anyone know how many different cases were made for the 41 series? Almost every one of them that I've seen are the longer brown case with zipper, like THIS ONE.

. However, my 41cv has a case that resembles what you see with the 55\65\etc series. It's the black case with two tabs and the velcro fold over flap... but unlike the case that my 55 has, this one has no front pouch for the pocket guide book. Apart from the missing front pocket, they're identical.

. Was this a common case for the 41s? If so, does anyone know approximately when hp switched from the black 55 style and started using the newer brown style case?

Thanks everyone Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2017, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2017 09:21 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: Different cases for the 41 series?
(09-28-2017 09:06 AM)BarryT Wrote:  Hi all,
. Does anyone know how many different cases were made for the 41 series? Almost every one of them that I've seen are the longer brown case with zipper, like THIS ONE.

. However, my 41cv has a case that resembles what you see with the 55\65\etc series. It's the black case with two tabs and the velcro fold over flap... but unlike the case that my 55 has, this one has no front pouch for the pocket guide book. Apart from the missing front pocket, they're identical.

. Was this a common case for the 41s? If so, does anyone know approximately when hp switched from the black 55 style and started using the newer brown style case?

Thanks everyone Smile

'41s only came with the tall brown case (tall to accommodate the attached card reader); they came with a small foam block inserted in the bottom so that the '41 was still at the top of the case if inserted with no card reader attached. There are several minor variations in case coloring and zippers, but these are probably simply sue to different manufacturers rather than a deliberate design change.

The black leather case was never included with new '41s, but they are much nicer than the zipper case (IMHO) and many folks use them for their '41. The style with no pocket came with the HP-35 (there was no QRG, so no pocket needed) and possibly with some of the early HP-80 units.

The black leather classic model cases are much nicer then the zipper style and I use them for all my '41s.

Edit: BTW, if you have the black leather classic case style that does have the pocket, the original (shorter) plastic HEX/Byte table by Keith Jarett is a perfect fit in the pocket, which also helps to prevent accidental key-press when the '41 is in a briefcase, or drops, etc.

--Bob Prosperi
09-28-2017, 02:49 PM
(09-28-2017 09:06 AM)BarryT Wrote:  Does anyone know how many different cases were made for the 41 series?

As Robert said, only one case type was ever produced for the HP-41.
I use the HP-41 case when I bring my calculator with the card reader, otherwise I use the case from the Spice/Spike series.
Sylvain
09-28-2017, 07:39 PM
I never used the card reader (I used the tape drive instead), so I didn't need the extra length; but I do wish the case were thicker, to accommodate lots of QRGs and keyboard overlays for the various modules, and the synthetic-programming card from Synthetix. Same thing for the 71. It's a bit of a challenge to get everything in the existing cases!

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-28-2017, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2017 08:27 PM by brickviking.)
(09-28-2017 07:39 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  I never used the card reader (I used the tape drive instead), so I didn't need the extra length; but I do wish the case were thicker, to accommodate lots of QRGs and keyboard overlays for the various modules, and the synthetic-programming card from Synthetix. Same thing for the 71. It's a bit of a challenge to get everything in the existing cases!

There's a simple solution for that, though it requires two cases. One for the calculator, one for the QRGs and perhaps a couple of modules and overlays.

(Post 104)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
09-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone!!! Smile
Good to know what case I actually have... I do like it, it does look good and fits quite nicely.
09-29-2017, 11:59 AM
(09-28-2017 09:06 AM)BarryT Wrote:  ...
Was this a common case for the 41s? If so, does anyone know approximately when hp switched from the black 55 style and started using the newer brown style case?

As others already said: the brown zipper case was standard, and even early 41Cs came with it. So did my 1980 tall-key 41C. Including the mentioned foam insert.

But let me point this discussion in another direction. Cases like these are used for many different devices: cameras, mobile phones, GPS receivers and many more. Sometimes a case for a completely different gadget fits very nicely for a particular calculator. So at the next visit at your favourite camera story you may bring your 41 and see if you can find something that fits. Maybe even someone here can recommend such a case that originally was intendend for something completely different?!

Dieter.
used to store a Metz 40CT-4 flashgun in a Braun shaver case. ;-)
09-30-2017, 04:50 AM
I've seen the long brown 41 cases with what looks like f(x)=-sin(x) on them. Has anyone else noticed this?

Try CC41!
09-30-2017, 01:21 PM
(09-30-2017 04:50 AM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  I've seen the long brown 41 cases with what looks like f(x)=-sin(x) on them. Has anyone else noticed this?

Is the equation itself, or a plot of that equation, found on the cases? I've never noticed but I have a few cases I can inspect, if I know what to look for. Any idea if the cases you've seen it on are early or late production, small or large zipper handle, etc. ?

--Bob Prosperi
09-30-2017, 03:25 PM
(09-30-2017 04:50 AM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  I've seen the long brown 41 cases with what looks like f(x)=-sin(x) on them.

Where do I look to possibly confirm this observation: transversal, logitudinal, top, bottom, middle, side, front, rear, etc.? I have a few 41 cases & am willing to look. Do you recall any more specifics?

Best!
SlideRule
09-30-2017, 04:43 PM
I us the HP 67 case with the pocket inside. It is thick enough to allow my overlays to be carried in the internal pocket and is the plushest of all the fabric cases.
09-30-2017, 05:38 PM
(09-30-2017 04:43 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  I us the HP 67 case with the pocket inside. It is thick enough to allow my overlays to be carried in the internal pocket and is the plushest of all the fabric cases.

Yes, but that means your '67 is bare!

Hope you're feeling much better, we missed you in Nashville.

--Bob Prosperi
09-30-2017, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2017 06:58 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Ah, five 67s and seven pouches. What to do, what to do!

Thanks for the well wishes, missed you all, timing is everything damn it. Just got the all clear to return to work. Cleaning up the tech room and found the screw driver set you gave me, Yahoo, they don't make that one anymore.

Next year!

Geoff
09-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Good to have your back, Geoff. Hope you are 100% again.

John
09-30-2017, 08:42 PM
(09-30-2017 06:57 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Ah, five 67s and seven pouches. What to do, what to do!

So, 5 with '67s tucked inside, 1 with a 41... seems like there is still 1 extra - send it to NY!

(09-30-2017 06:57 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Cleaning up the tech room and found the screw driver set you gave me, Yahoo, they don't make that one anymore.

Yeah, I've looked high and low, but none left; they replaced it with a cheap imitation set. Fortunately, I bought several when they were still available, so I still have a few new ones.

And yes, just kidding about sending the case....

--Bob Prosperi
10-01-2017, 07:36 PM
A friend of mine has two 41 c/cx cases with the sin(x) on them, found this one on the web. My 41cx case does not have this image on it.    

Try CC41!
10-01-2017, 07:57 PM
(10-01-2017 07:36 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  A friend of mine has two 41 c/cx cases with the sin(x) on them, found this one on the web. My 41cx case does not have this image on it.

Thanks for posting that to clarify Craig. This is not seen on any of my '41 cases, and though an argument could be made that it's just random coloring (w/over-eager imaginations), I'd agree that this was likely deliberate. Of those you've seen, are the images identical, in the same location, etc. or maybe the same image was moved around to protect the innocent?

--Bob Prosperi
10-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Here's two more, note the orientation is not the same.

Try CC41!
10-01-2017, 11:23 PM
In a word; pariedolia. A large vinyl leatherette sheet with repeating design. Each new section for the next panel in the pouch may, may not or may have a partial 'X'

Similar to laminate flooring or anything manufactured with a pseudo natural image stamped on it.

Probably many such patterns, but the mind sees the 'X' and not the repeating squiggle that is reminiscent of nothing recognizable.

Geoff
10-02-2017, 12:56 AM
Mine has that but in the top end, closer to the zipper.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)