Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants available!
10-13-2023, 03:13 PM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants ava...
(10-13-2023 02:57 PM)johnb Wrote:  
(10-13-2023 01:39 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I prefer the "feel" of the 3d printed case I designed around the taller keys (since the kit I bought was the "tall" key version, the existing 3d printed case that was available didn't work). I stuck with that 3D print case version of the 41C...

Does the "tall key" version just have longer posts on the keys?

I could see how that would be annoying, and how the 3D printed case would be preferable!

Just curious.

Yeah - the PX15C (and other similar variants like PX41C) are offered with a choice of buttons -- a "short" version and a "tall" version. They also offer the aluminum plates and a pre-printed bumper (to close off the sides of the aluminum plate version), and this one requires the tall buttons. This was the one I ordered. They also offer a version with the short buttons, and that one is compatible with a 3D printed case that they offer for sale, but also offer up the files to print your own case if you prefer.

I used the available files for the printed case and made modifications to it (basically remodeled it from scratch) to make it work with the version with the tall buttons. The case that they provided unfortunately didn't fit because the board was a bit larger than the case geometry, too. I think it may have been built around an older version of the PCB that was a slightly smaller footprint.

Eventually I was planning to add my "remix" of the case to Thingiverse for others to use, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't have a version of my case (that fits the newer PCB) that will work with the short key version (yet). I don't have anything to test it with to confirm fit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2023, 04:54 PM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants ava...
(10-13-2023 02:57 PM)johnb Wrote:  
(10-13-2023 01:39 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I prefer the "feel" of the 3d printed case I designed around the taller keys (since the kit I bought was the "tall" key version, the existing 3d printed case that was available didn't work). I stuck with that 3D print case version of the 41C...

Does the "tall key" version just have longer posts on the keys?

I could see how that would be annoying, and how the 3D printed case would be preferable!

Just curious.

The "tall" keys are 11mm tall and short keys are 7mm tall.

The 3D case design files for the newer boards with short keys, like the ones Guido used can be downloaded from Thingverse.
10-13-2023, 05:07 PM
(10-13-2023 04:54 PM)agarza Wrote:  
(10-13-2023 02:57 PM)johnb Wrote:  Does the "tall key" version just have longer posts on the keys?

Just curious.

The "tall" keys are 11mm tall and short keys are 7mm tall.

The 3D case design files for the newer boards with short keys, like the ones Guido used can be downloaded from Thingverse.
Thanks for clarifying!
11-12-2023, 11:26 PM
Just wanted to share that I bought a number of these overlays for DM42 and DM32. I installed the WP43 on the DM42 (minus the display sticker) and the DB50x (=DB48x) on the DM32 without a problem. Nice fit, easy to install. I got the tabbed versions. Thanks!

I may order a HP Prime G1 NewRPL overlay one of these days too. How do RPL lovers like NewRPL? I'd really love to have NewRPL on the DMs.
11-13-2023, 10:47 PM
(11-12-2023 11:26 PM)Doug (NYC) Wrote:  Just wanted to share that I bought a number of these overlays for DM42 and DM32. I installed the WP43 on the DM42 (minus the display sticker) and the DB50x (=DB48x) on the DM32 without a problem. Nice fit, easy to install. I got the tabbed versions. Thanks!

I may order a HP Prime G1 NewRPL overlay one of these days too. How do RPL lovers like NewRPL? I'd really love to have NewRPL on the DMs.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I really like newRPL and used it almost exclusively before I got a DM42 (which is currently running DB48x). The DM42 is my go-to now. I have newRPL on a 39gx at work, and I have it on a 50g at my home office, along with a Prime G1 flashed with newRPL. I really prefer newRPL on the non-prime hardware - the battery drain issue is a bit frustrating. If I forget to charge it for more than a week or so, it will drain completely and I have to restore it with the SDRESTORE command. Functionally it works great, but the toggling of the menu buttons gets confusing sometimes.

If you are using the Prime G1 with newRPL frequently it's probably easier to remember to charge it when needed.
11-13-2023, 10:54 PM
(11-13-2023 10:47 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I got a DM42 (which is currently running DB48x). The DM42 is my go-to now.

I have to say, my DM32 with DB50x with your overlay is now my favorite "current" calculator. c3d is doing a great job with regular updates and improvements lately too, it's really impressive. Thanks again!
11-15-2023, 03:53 AM
Pricing Update - WP34S increase
Hello all,

I just wanted to post here to let you know that I had to update the price of the WP34S to account for a "manufacturing change" that reduced my yield on these from 4 overlays per sheet of material to 2 overlays/sheet.

As a result, the new price for the WP34S is now $6 each (up from $5).

All other pricing is the same. The first post has been updated accordingly.

Thanks!
02-21-2024, 08:34 AM
Hi @spiff72

As I started working on key assignment, I noticed that there is a minor bug on the overlay for the “USER” feature (yellow shift for key 2). It is a function and not a menu.

It is correct in my version (the one on the web site)

It is marked as a menu in your overlay.

Now, I see two ways out of this: fix it on my side, or fix it on yours. And that’s where the “thinking about key assignment” came into play.

Remember our past email discussion about the label for the “CONST” menu, which you thought was the “CST” (custom) menu of the HP48? Well, maybe we can combine user mode and custom menu, and then we don’t need to change your overlays. And that's where I'm calling other people on the forum to share their opinion.

Here are the options that I am considering, (where "CustomMenu" is the menu invoked by the CST key on the HP48, UserMode is an HP48-like user mode with custom key assignments for any key, and USER is the feature activated by shift-2):

1/ Get CustomMenu by pressing twice on VAR key when VariablesMenu is shown (i.e. VAR toggles between VariablesMenu and CustomMenu), USER toggles UserMode. This option would require an overlay change on your side.

2/ Get CustomMenu by pressing SHIFT 2 (labelled "USER"), UserMode is a flag under the ModesMenu. This option would require an overlay change on my side.

3/ Like option (2), but relabel ASN as USR and make it toggle UserMode. I don't think ASN is a frequent-enough feature, it could be moved to a softkey in the UserInterfaceMenu.

I'm also considering having key assignments be defined/saved in a CONFIG/KEYS.CSV file that could override any key with any feature. This would save the ASN state, and could be used to edit custom keyboard layouts more comfortably.

I must admit that I've never been a heavy user of key assignments on the HP48. It always felt "dangerous" to me. But maybe others have a different opinion?

As an aside, 0.7.0 should also feature a file-based ConstantsMenu, very much like the file-based UnitsMenu.
02-21-2024, 12:51 PM
Thanks for offering the community a choice.

I prefer #1. I assign keys often (especially when writing something new for easier testing) so prefer ASN stay as-is and like the 48-stytle USER mode. In short, most like the 48 is preferred,

--Bob Prosperi
02-21-2024, 01:20 PM
(02-21-2024 08:34 AM)c3d Wrote:  Hi @spiff72

As I started working on key assignment, I noticed that there is a minor bug on the overlay for the “USER” feature (yellow shift for key 2). It is a function and not a menu.

It is correct in my version (the one on the web site)

It is marked as a menu in your overlay.

Now, I see two ways out of this: fix it on my side, or fix it on yours. And that’s where the “thinking about key assignment” came into play.

Remember our past email discussion about the label for the “CONST” menu, which you thought was the “CST” (custom) menu of the HP48? Well, maybe we can combine user mode and custom menu, and then we don’t need to change your overlays. And that's where I'm calling other people on the forum to share their opinion.

Here are the options that I am considering, (where "CustomMenu" is the menu invoked by the CST key on the HP48, UserMode is an HP48-like user mode with custom key assignments for any key, and USER is the feature activated by shift-2):

1/ Get CustomMenu by pressing twice on VAR key when VariablesMenu is shown (i.e. VAR toggles between VariablesMenu and CustomMenu), USER toggles UserMode. This option would require an overlay change on your side.

2/ Get CustomMenu by pressing SHIFT 2 (labelled "USER"), UserMode is a flag under the ModesMenu. This option would require an overlay change on my side.

3/ Like option (2), but relabel ASN as USR and make it toggle UserMode. I don't think ASN is a frequent-enough feature, it could be moved to a softkey in the UserInterfaceMenu.

I'm also considering having key assignments be defined/saved in a CONFIG/KEYS.CSV file that could override any key with any feature. This would save the ASN state, and could be used to edit custom keyboard layouts more comfortably.

I must admit that I've never been a heavy user of key assignments on the HP48. It always felt "dangerous" to me. But maybe others have a different opinion?

As an aside, 0.7.0 should also feature a file-based ConstantsMenu, very much like the file-based UnitsMenu.

I'm open to whatever the community decides, but I would suggest continuing the discussion in your DB48x thread rather than in this overlay thread - I think it will get more traction that way...

To me, removing the box around the USER function on my overlay background isn't going to obsolete a bunch of overlays people already have.

WP31S/WP34S, WP43/C47, newRPL (various), and DB48X adhesive and tabbed overlays:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20113.html

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)