Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants available!
06-24-2023, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2023 03:50 AM by spiff72.)
Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants available!
UPDATE 11/14/23:
Hello all - quick update on pricing...

Due to some changes I made recently to the WP34S overlays, I have to increase the price of that one because I only get two overlays per sheet of material. I am changing the price from $5 to $6 to account for this. (I was getting too many unusable overlays with the old method of embedding the key labels in the openings of the background overlay because the cutter had to make two cuts very close to each other and would often pull the label off the sheet).

The key labels are now printed and cut separately from the backgrounds, reducing the yield.

At some point in the future I may re-do the WP31S, but that one is lower volume and is a lower priority right now. (It involves a complete redesign of the source images and SVG file -- a lot of work!)

So pricing as of now is as follows:

WP31S: $5
WP34S: $6

newRPL:
50g: $5
39gs: $5
40gs: $5
Prime (G1): $5

C47 (all variants -- tabbed and adhesive): $5
DB48x/DB50x (all variants -- tabbed and adhesive): $7
WP43S (all variants -- tabbed and adhesive): $7

UPDATE 10/11/23:

DB48x/DB50x UPDATE:

Due to some changes that were included in the v0.4.6 release, I have had to make some adjustments to the DB48x overlays which will render any existing overlays provided prior to now obsolete. (I am sorry for this, but I did include a disclaimer stating that this project was still in very early development stages and that things were subject to change).

In addition to the layout changes, I have worked closely with @c3d to get thing tuned and cleaned up from the previous version. I think the changes were well worth it, and the resulting overlay is much better looking than the last version.

The new version is now available for orders (in both the tabbed and adhesive versions) at the same price as before ($7 each). Additionally, there is an additional "DB50x" overlay available for the DM32 variant. The background overlay is identical to the DB48x, with the exception of the logo at the bottom reading DB50x instead of DB48x. The DB50x overlay will include the additional key labels needed to account for the difference between the DM42 and DM32 hardware key labels. Pricing is the same at $7 each.

Here's a photo of the new tabbed DB48x on my own DM42:
https://imgur.com/gallery/Mfxjo7S

UPDATE 8/31/23:

I am keeping the option of ordering either the "Original" version of the overlay or the "Big Alpha" version due to popular demand. This is a comparison image showing them side-by-side (Original is on the left and Big Alpha on the right):
https://imgur.com/gallery/VAmO35O

When you order any C47 overlays, please specify which style you want! I include the same question in my standard email reply template to order inquiries when I provide payment option info.

MULTIPLE UPDATES 8/10/23:
The production pause is over and I am able to make overlays again now.

I am also adding 2 new overlays to the catalog:

DB48X (for DM42)
This project is still in the alpha/beta stage, but looks VERY interesting to me since I went through college with a 48SX (so it holds a warm spot in my heart). There are a LOT of features that are not yet implemented but a framework is in place with most of the basic functionality implemented. This overlay will be available as both a fully adhesive version or a "tabbed" version.

Both options will include the key labels for the keys that need new identifiers (printed and cut with the stronger adhesive vinyl), and the non-tabbed overlay background version will be printed from the weaker adhesive vinyl.

Keep in mind that this overlay may change in the future, so there could be changes needed over time. This could be a handy option for any devs who may be working on this project. I already sent a freebie to Christophe (the dev for the project).

Pricing for these will be slightly higher due to the extra labor and print/cut jobs required for multiple materials ($7 each instead of $5 plus shipping).

Overlay Pic (adhesive version):
https://imgur.com/gallery/NjO7IIv

Github Link:
https://github.com/c3d/DB48X-on-DM42

WP43 Overlay (for DM42)
I finally have a WP43 overlay sorted now. See images at the link below:
https://imgur.com/gallery/42Ny99f

Oops - there was an error in the above overlay images, but I have corrected it now. The Orange label on the Roll down key was mistakenly "CST". It is shown correctly in the image below:
https://imgur.com/gallery/c2E8JV0

The calculator photo in the link above represents the tabbed overlay kit. I installed that one because I am frequently switching between firmware on my DM42.

This one is a bit more complex because it has key labels (compared to the C47 which doesn't need them), and also includes a screen bezel adhesive label.

Adhesive Overlay Kit:
- Background overlay using my older, less sticky adhesive vinyl
- Key labels and screen bezel using my newer better adhesive vinyl (because the keys and the screen bezel can use the extra adhesion)

Tabbed Overlay Kit:
- Background tabbed overlay using 45# photo paper with lamination front/back
- Key labels and screen bezel using the newer better adhesive vinyl (because the keys and the screen bezel can use the extra adhesion)

These are a bit more labor intensive than the other and require two separate print/cut jobs for each kit (due to the different materials used), so I have to price these a bit higher - so cost for these is $7 instead of $5 (plus the usual shipping).

I am also opening up "standard" orders for the tabbed C47 overlay at normal $5/each pricing (instead of the 2/$5 pricing I offered as part of my trial run).

Most of the people reported they were able to install them after following my video demo of the installation process and some tips for making them work, but I had at least one person report that it just didn't fit. All is not lost in the rare case that the tabs don't fit. You can always cut off the tabs and apply your own 2-sided tape to hold the overlay card in place. The back is covered in a clear lamination sheet so it should be durable enough for this.

Keep in mind - the one downside to the tabbed overlays is that they aren't quite as uniform in appearance when laid side-by-side next to a vinyl adhesive overlay. There is something about the way the matte finish lamination sheets stick to the vinyl better and gives a smoother appearance. It's hard to describe without seeing the difference in person.

One last update is that I am going to implement a running change to the C47 overlay graphics.
I redesigned these overlays from scratch so I could better control position of labels, colors, etc. I tried to honor the design intent of the original as best I could, but I did adjust colors slightly for better readability, and I made the alpha characters larger - I call these the "big alpha" version now. Any C47 overlays ordered from today forward (8/10/23) will be the new "big alpha" version! The following image shows a tabbed "original" overlay next to a sheet with the new "big alpha" vinyl adhesive version:
https://imgur.com/gallery/WIWbb1z

UPDATE 8/05/23:
Thanks to a botched software update from Cricut for their DesignSpace software, I am now unable to make any more overlays. Their software automatically updates itself, and it has a bug that causes all of the cuts to misalign with the printed graphics by about 1.5mm in two directions! There are a lot of angry Cricut users out there unable to fill orders, and I am one of them. As a result, I am going to be putting a hold on accepting any more orders until this software is updated again to fix the issue. You can still email me at the link in this post to hold a place in line for future orders, but I won't be sending my PP/Venmo info in response so I won't have to hold your money while we wait for a fix.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

EDIT (7/28/23):
I am opening up for orders on the C47 overlay for the SwissMicros DM42 calculator!
The same pricing applies for this one as all the rest - $5 each plus shipping (see below for details on shipping). Construction is the same as all the others, with the exception of the vinyl used. For these C47 overlays, I will be using the older vinyl with the weaker adhesive. My reasoning is that the problem I was seeing with the material lifting was only on curved surfaces (namely the key tops of the HP30b calculator, which have a sharp chamfer/bevel on the front edges). Since the small labels had to wrap around the bevel, the weaker adhesive would let go on the sloped part and lift up. For the C47, the faceplate is perfectly flat, so this won't be an issue. I also recommend that if you need to peel one of these off (another reason for the lighter adhesive), to protect the stock faceplate from lifting away from the calculator frame, I recommend pushing the stock faceplate against the calculator as you peel. My DM42 only appears to have a line of adhesive on the top and bottom edges holding the stock faceplate in place. Pressing it down as you peel helps keep from pulling the stock faceplate free of this adhesive and causing any damage.

Picture link below (the "real" one is installed on the calc in this photo - the one that is on the left is an older trial with a different color scheme and is not available):
https://imgur.com/gallery/LYsnM0I

EDIT (6/28/23):

I am re-opening for orders on the updated vinyl overlays! I have enough confidence in the adhesive that I am comfortable moving forward once again.

I am NOT doing the glossy lamination sheet option - satin matte is the only option.

Variants available:
WP31S (I have ONLY tested this on the 30b calculator - not a 20b)
WP34S (I have ONLY tested this on the 30b calculator - not a 20b)
HP 50g newRPL
HP 39gs newRPL
HP Prime (G1) newRPL (*this KB layout is subject to change, so this overlay is too!)
HP 40gs newRPL (*new as of July 1, 2023)
C47 (for DM42) - both an adhesive and a "tabbed" overlay without adhesive
WP43 (for DM42) - both an adhesive and a "tabbed" overlay (includes key labels and a screen bezel label
DB48X (for DM42) - both an adhesive and a "tabbed" overlay (includes key labels)

Imgur Link to gallery of all variants.
- Note that some of these may differ slightly from the final product due to variation in cutting accuracy, and minor tweaks that take place over time.

Pricing (including shipping within the US):
For WP43 and DB48X overlays:
$8 for the first overlay
$7 for each additional (up to a total of 4).

(If you want more than 4 just assume that overlay number 5 will be $8 and additional are $7, etc.)

For all other overlays (not the WP43 and DB48X):
$6 for the first overlay
$5 for each additional (up to a total of 4).

(If you want more than 4 just assume that overlay number 5 will be $6 and additional are $5, etc.)

Pricing for international shipping with be determined on a case by case basis.

I can accept payment via Paypal or Venmo (just pick the option for sending to a friend to avoid them taking out fees).

Ordering:
Send me an email at:
calc.overlays @ gmail.com. State "Overlay order" in the subject line, and specify how many of each overlay variant you want, and let me know your location (if not in the US). I will reply with Paypal and Venmo IDs to send payment. Once payment is received, I will make every effort to ship them within 2 business days - but special circumstances may extend timing occasionally.

Disclaimers:
- I can't accept returns, since these are very easy to apply incorrectly. The newRPL are probably the trickiest (since the overlay is larger and key cutouts are a bit less forgiving that the WP variants). If these eventually peel, I can't replace them (these are as good as I can get them!).
- My Cricut cutting machine isn't perfect, and there are occasional minor misalignments between the cuts and the printed content. As long as no text is cut off, I will still ship an overlay (but I do my best to keep this to a minimum). An example of a cosmetic defect might be a bit of color bleed onto the edge of a key label or the perimeter of a key cutout on an overlay. See the 39gs photo from the imgur link above for an extreme of slight alignment issues. This one was caused because I tried to salvage a vinyl sheet that partially printed, and when I ran it through printer a second time the registration marks were distorted and didn't scan accurately in the Cricut. I probably would have scrapped that one if it was not for my own calculator.
- These are mailed via first class USPS letter service (non-trackable). There is no insurance on this, and I can't be liable for lost mail (hasn't happened yet, but you never know).
- Since the HP Prime newRPL KB layout is still in its infancy, I can only account for the current state of the layout. I can't be held repsonsible if this layout changes in the future, but I will update it as time goes on and the Prime newRPL firmware matures.
- The 40gs overlay for newRPL is considered a "beta" right now. I had someone request it, and to accommodate them, I took the 39gs layout and applied the 50g color scheme. So it is "beta" from a color-match perspective, only.
- If you are ordering the 50g/39gs/40gs overlays, I STRONGLY suggest ordering a spare at the same time. These are by far the trickiest to apply, and it's easy to mess them up (trust me - I know from experience). In some cases you can use a sharp x-acto knife to trim around key openings after application if the key doesn't "feel" right because of too much material of the overlay obstructing key movement.

Requests will be filled on a first paid, first shipped basis. My first shipments will be to replace prior requests after I found the issue with the adhesive (about 6 sheets worth).

Original post follows (with details on the construction). Photos of overlays are available in subsequent posts.

Hello all,

I am staring a new thread for this in the hopes it will tidy things up a bit...

I shared some info in another thread, including the fact that I was pausing taking any orders for the templates until I am more comfortable with the adhesion of the overlays and especially the key labels. See here (and you can scroll up for more info):
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-19...#pid174143

I was finding that some of the more recent overlays and labels that I had installed on my 31S and 34S had a tendency to start lifting at the bottom of the keys (and to some extent at the bottom edge of the overlay on the 31S/34S because of the curvature of the housing).

I have obtained some new vinyl sheet material that is supposed to be one of the best options out there, and I printed some more overlays for my 31S, 34S, HP Prime G1 (newRPL) to give them a trial. I plan to just leave them alone and not use them to see if the key labels start peeling away from the beveled front edges of the keys.

I will post updates in this thread in the future when I have some results. Initial impressions were quite good - they do seem to stick more than the others I recently made.

Attached are some photos of the overlays after installation. These are made with the new vinyl sheet material with a satin matte finish self-adhesive laminating sheet applied, and then they are loaded into my Cricut Maker to do the cutting.

If this all works, I expect to offer these up for members here - pricing is still TBD, but will likely be higher than the 4-overlay sheets I sold for a bit previously.

Thanks for your patience!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2023, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2023 02:54 AM by spiff72.)
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - WP31S, WP34S, HP Prime (newRPL) possibly available soon
EDIT: Added photo of the HP39GS overlay! I haven't had a chance to apply to my calc (I left it at work), but I will try to remember to bring it home tomorrow and post a post-install photo.

One added overlay option will be the variants of other calcs that can use newRPL - specifically the HP 50g and the 39gs.

I have a working overlay set up for the 50g (see attached). I will also develop one for the 39gs with a different color scheme to better suit that light-colored calc. I created one previously for my 39gs, but it was a manually cut one. Now that I have the 50g template set up, I can adjust the colors and make a new "automated" one for the Cricut. EDIT: This is done!

I must offer a big "Thank You" to user lmamakos for granting me permission to use the SVG files he shared previously in this thread (and on his web site):
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-16487.html

He did most of the heavy lifting, and I ran with it to make various adjustments to the geometry, fit, graphics, colors, etc!

I will post another update if I get a modded version of that newRPL template on my 39gs. EDIT: This is done!

I will also look at the other calcs that are compatible with newRPL and may try to incorporate options for those too.

A few things to note with newRPL:
- If you never heard of it, it's pretty neat. I have had it on my 50g and on a 39gs for several years. Check out the thread here: newRPL
- The 50g is better suited to running it compared to the 39gs (from an overlay standpoint) because only 10 keys on the 50g need labels. The 39gs needs far more (I don't have mine in front of me, but it may need labels on most if not all of the keys).
- On the other hand, the 39gs can be gotten much more cost effectively than a 50g lately. You get a smaller screen with the 39gs, but functionally they are very similar.

06-25-2023, 08:08 AM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - WP31S, WP34S, newRPL variants possibly available soon
Looks great! I am interested in H50g, HP39GS an WP34 overlays
06-25-2023, 09:22 AM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - WP31S, WP34S, newRPL variants possibly available soon
(06-25-2023 08:08 AM)Gilles Wrote:  Looks great! I am interested in H50g, HP39GS an WP34 overlays

And WP43 obviously. DM42‘s and then DM 32‘s should be optimal conversion candidates down the road…
06-25-2023, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2023 07:40 PM by spiff72.)
If I had a DM42 I would certainly make one. It's on my wish list for certain. I already have a mockup file for the C47 conversion created and ready to cut. However, I think this one wouldn't need adhesive, since that calc has the notches in the body to accept a "snap-in" overlay. I wonder if I could print it on card stock, and then apply the protection layer of laminating sheet? Not sure how thick the overlay can be for that calc...

I looked at the WP43, too, but I wasn't sure whether the C47 would supersede it or live in parallel to the WP43 (now that SM has stated that they wouldn't not be manufacturing the WP43). The WP43 would be trickier since the overlay needs to surround the screen too. The C47 would only require the overlay and no key labels at all.

(06-25-2023 09:22 AM)anetzer Wrote:  
(06-25-2023 08:08 AM)Gilles Wrote:  Looks great! I am interested in H50g, HP39GS an WP34 overlays

And WP43 obviously. DM42‘s and then DM 32‘s should be optimal conversion candidates down the road…
06-25-2023, 08:34 PM
(06-25-2023 07:35 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I wonder if I could print it on card stock, and then apply the protection layer of laminating sheet? Not sure how thick the overlay can be for that calc...

Like others on the forum I printed the overlay on inkjet photo paper and cut out the key holes by hand. Tedious work!

The 48/71/75 overlays are made of thin flexible plastic stock that's easily bent to put their tabs in the keyboard retention slots. Something like that would be more suitable than card stock, particularly in terms of wear if the ink can be protected.

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
06-25-2023, 09:11 PM
I posted a question on the Swiss Micros forum to see if anyone knows the max stock think was that will fit in the frame slots.
06-25-2023, 11:54 PM
(06-25-2023 09:11 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I posted a question on the Swiss Micros forum to see if anyone knows the max stock think was that will fit in the frame slots.

Looking at my DM32, the max thickness would have to be very thin. Regular copy paper fits in 2 of the 3 slots on one side and 1 of the 3 on the other side but you'd need something thinner than that to fit in the remaining slots. I don't think it was designed for an overlay, or else the manufacturing process is so imprecise that mine was made in such a way that an overlay wouldn't be feasible. I think an adhesive overlay is the only practical option on the DM32 if mine is representative.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-25-2023, 11:58 PM
(06-25-2023 11:54 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(06-25-2023 09:11 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  I posted a question on the Swiss Micros forum to see if anyone knows the max stock think was that will fit in the frame slots.

Looking at my DM32, the max thickness would have to be very thin. Regular copy paper fits in 2 of the 3 slots on one side and 1 of the 3 on the other side but you'd need something thinner than that to fit in the remaining slots. I don't think it was designed for an overlay, or else the manufacturing process is so imprecise that mine was made in such a way that an overlay wouldn't be feasible. I think an adhesive overlay is the only practical option on the DM32 if mine is representative.

Interesting info - thanks! I got a response to the question I posted on the SM forum and I was given numbers of 0.4mm and 0.35mm, but I also saw something earlier in some linked posts that mentioned that they weren't toleranced. Maybe that is what they meant! I guess I can't count on the slots then, and must stick with adhesive options. That may be OK, since after 1 day my latest test overlays haven't started peeling yet. (In some cases that peel at the key bevels would happen in less than 24 hours).
06-26-2023, 09:29 PM
I'm definitely interested in a 50g newRPL overlay. How much will it be?
06-26-2023, 10:39 PM
(06-26-2023 09:29 PM)The Shadow Wrote:  I'm definitely interested in a 50g newRPL overlay. How much will it be?

I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking maybe $6/each with additional templates for $5/each? (Including postage to the US - international mailing will be on a case by case basis).

After 48+ hours post-application, the adhesive on the new label stock looks to be holding strong so far. I will give it a few more days here before I open up for orders again.

I may have to include a disclaimer that long term durability is at the risk of the buyer (or something along those lines), but this is the best material I have been able to track down!
06-27-2023, 03:06 AM
Quick update:
I added a photo of the uninstalled 39gs template above to this post:
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20...#pid174204

I will post a photo of the overlay after installation in the next day or so...

If anyone has one of the following calcs, and are interested in getting a newRPL template made for them, please send me a good high-res image of the calc (with bright lighting) so I can extract colors from it (it won't be perfect, but I can at least get close. I am assuming that the following all use the same keyboard layout and dimensions as the 50g and 39gs, so I can just change color schemes accordingly:
HP 39g+
HP 40gs (this one might work with the 50g color scheme "as-is")
HP 48gII (the silver color of the background keyplate might be tricky)
06-28-2023, 03:35 AM
Quick update for anyone following this thread...

- Adhesive is still holding well on the WP31/4 calcs, so feeling more and more confident that the new material should work out.
- I caught a mistake on the 39gs overlay I showed a photo of yesterday (I missed a bunch of the alpha characters because I forgot that the 39gs doesn't show any of them on the keys. I based the new 39gs template on my 50g and forgot to add the alpha characters back.
- In working on the 39gs, I am also making some other tweaks to fonts, graphics, etc. I am now in the process of rolling those into the 50g overlay too.
- I will post updated images for the newRPL overlays when these are complete.
06-29-2023, 12:04 AM
OK everyone...

I am ready to re-open the overlay sales again. I feel confident enough in this new adhesive to start taking orders again. I am going to update the original post with the details.

I have the new HP 39gs newRPL overlay printing on the cutter right now and will update with a new photo later tonight.

I am not going to print/cut the latest 50g newRPL until I get an order for one since materials are slightly limited. It is identical to the 39gs, but with a modified color scheme, and I remove the all alpha characters from the overlay background except for G, H, I, J, K, L, M, and P (since they are the only ones that get covered up on the key tops by replacement key labels). It will look very similar to the 50g image I already posted, but with very minor color and font tweaks.
06-29-2023, 08:41 AM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - WP31S, WP34S, newRPL variants now available!
(06-29-2023 12:04 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  OK everyone...

I am ready to re-open the overlay sales again. I feel confident enough in this new adhesive to start taking orders again. I am going to update the original post with the details.

Good news! How to order ? What is the price?. I want to order both one Hp50g and 39gs overlays
06-29-2023, 11:36 AM
(06-29-2023 08:41 AM)Gilles Wrote:  
(06-29-2023 12:04 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  OK everyone...

Good news! How to order ? What is the price?. I want to order both one Hp50g and 39gs overlays

See first post in this thread - I added ordering info, pricing, etc.
07-03-2023, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2023 03:17 AM by spiff72.)
Just FYI - I updated the first post in this thread to add the option for the HP 40gs newRPL overlay. This one is still untested from a color-match standpoint, but functionally it should work fine.

It is based on the 39gs overlay, but with the colors changed to that of the 50g since the 40gs is a black (or at least dark gray) color scheme. It also includes all of the alpha characters on the background overlay since they don't have them on the keytops on this model.

Thanks!
07-06-2023, 04:10 AM
(06-25-2023 09:22 AM)anetzer Wrote:  

The DM42 is definitely on my radar! If I sell enough of these overlays to fund it, I will be ordering myself a DM42 to try out C47 and possibly WP43 (that overlay may be trickier, but I think I could come up with a way to make it work).

I originally planned to do the C47 with the little tabs to engage into the slots on the frame/bezel of the DM42, but the more I read, the less confident I am that it will work. The vinyl option should be no problem though. I already have an SVG built and a Cricut file set up to try - but I can't do so until I have a physical calc to test on.

The WP43 with the outline around the screen (or at least the "wings" that color code the edges of the menu) will be step 2!
07-08-2023, 05:03 PM
Well - I finally caved and ordered a DM42. I can't justify paying 70 CHF for expedited shipping, so I should have it in 3-4 weeks. Once it arrives, I will do a test print of my C47 overlay for it, and make any tweaks necessary.

I will then add that to the "catalog" of available overlays here.

WP43 will probably follow after that, so stay tuned!
07-12-2023, 01:22 PM
Chiming in a as a happy customer--I purchased a set of WP 34S stickers from one of spiff72's initial print runs, and they went out of their way to send me replacement stickers with the improved adhesive. I applied a set recently and am pleased with how it turned out. The adhesive feels good. I'd like to thank spiff72 for their attention to detail and dedication to getting it right! I really appreciate it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)