|Re: 41CL installation on machine with zebra strip|
Message #12 Posted by David Ramsey on 30 Dec 2011, 1:05 p.m.,
in response to message #11 by Randy
I would love a set (or two) of those screws, thanks! I just ordered extra rubber feet on eBay so I can pass on those.
The cement I used was a thick gel similar to what we used to call "airplane glue." However I used very little of it. I guess the stuff I should use is a rather thin liquid, right? Guess I'll have to find that online.
I see Geoff's paper wherein he not only glues the post but puts plastic shavings down the hole and a drop of solvent on top of that. I can try that as soon as I get the correct glue and some screws.
In other news, I installed the 41CL board in a 41C I had. It wasn't my first choice due to a slightly mushy "1" key (but it still works perfectly). The CPU board was actually held in by two silver nuts threaded over the plastic posts. I initially thought this was something someone had done to the machine, but the inside of the back case was different, too: on the other machines I've looked at, the plastic posts on the keyboard half fit into recesses on the back, and the back is designed to apply pressure to the CPU board when it's on. This back wouldn't work that way; it's obvious the nuts provide all the pressure.
Not only is this more reliable, it means cracked posts should be less of a problem.
In any case it all went together easily and now I have a working 41CL, finally! Now all I have to do is repair the 41CV I screwed up.