|Comments on HP status|
Message #1 Posted by Tim Wessman on 20 Aug 2011, 11:55 a.m.
I wanted to write a short message to everyone and hopefully allay some concerns. This is not any sort of official statement from HP, but just some observations that are relevant to those whom visit here for love of calculators.
1. We (everyone here on this sit and within calcs) have always known that calculators are not really a good fit within HP anymore. In fact, I think calculators is the oldest group left within HP by far. In the past decade or so, it has been shuffled around quite a bit trying to find a fit. Currently, we are under accessories which does both aftermarket consumer things (mice, keyboards, audio, etc) and things like batteries, docking stations, power cables and the like. This as been a very good fit for calcs, and there has been a ton of support to grown the business and do exciting things.
2. Accessories falls under PSG which is being looked at with this announcement. Nobody really seems to have any idea what will be happening, but if you look at the analysts it ranges from completely selling PSG, to doing nothing at all.
3. It will take a long time for any decisions to be made. On Thursday when the announcement came out, a lot of people cleared out of the Ft. Collins office that afternoon. There was a lot of worried talk as it was a big surprise to everyone. By Friday everyone had absorbed the news, and we'd mostly all come to the decision that it really wasn't that bad. In fact, there are some definite upsides.
4. HHC this year is still going on. We will still be there, and there will be some really great things you won't want to miss.
5. Are calculators done? Well, if you've asked some people here they'd say it already happened with the discontinuation of <insert_favorite_unit_here>.
6. What about long term potential for calculators? In all honesty, nothing has changed at all. I was quite worried on Thursday, but I am over that. I am potentially more optimistic now then I was then. Simply due to the strange fit within HP, there has always been the potential someone would decide to shut it down.
I'd just like to encourage everyone to remain calm. More than that though, you should come to HHC. If it does turn out that this is the last one ever (doubtful), let's go out with a bang! :-D
Although I work for the HP calculator groups, the thoughts and comments I express here are my own.
Edited: 21 Aug 2011, 1:57 a.m. after one or more responses were posted