|Re: 28C corrosion|
Message #4 Posted by Ed Look on 9 Aug 2007, 1:33 p.m.,
in response to message #3 by Vincze
No real need to worry about that- it's like the argument with antibacterial hand soap, whether it's really necessary. The real answer is that it's not, for washing away germs is as good as killing them on your skin (and let's not even go into the whole issue of antibiotic resistance).
Besides, you can't really determine exactly how much dried electrolyte you have in the battery compartment, so you may respond with too little or too much base/acid (depending on whether the electrolytic paste was acid or base) and you then have the same problem again.
Most of this stuff is at least moderately soluble in water, so wiping away with a wet paper towel, then finally wiping with a good clean wet one, before drying is all you need. But water is corrosive for most metals, especially ferrous ones, so drying is very necessary.
And in the future, if there is more crud, it means that either your new batteries are leaking or there is stuff from behind the battery compartment you couldn't see the first time, which would require the more radical step of performing calculator surgery and opening the case.