|12C Anniversary Edition -- First Impressions|
Message #1 Posted by Katie Wasserman on 25 May 2006, 10:35 p.m.
I just got one of these and aside from the excellent, 25th Anniversary edition of the manual, I'm very unimpressed. (I haven't seen or used the later version of the Platinum so I don't know how (or if) it differs from this one.)
The calculator looks nice and the undo feature is welcome but:
- The color scheme, although better than recent version, is nowhere near as readable as the original 12C.
- The keys have a good 'click' but are made from low density plastic and feel really cheap.
- All the edges on the keys and calculator are sharp, feel terrible and some will snag clothing.
- The display contrast while adjustable is only so-so but what's much worse is the horrible shadow that the display crystals make on the substrate.
The case looks nice too but is not very functional:
- It's hard to put the calculator in it.
- It doubles the overall thickness of the calculator.
- It has strong magnetic latches that will almost certainly wreak havoc with credit cards.
- It doesn't fully protect the calculator, the corners and edges stick out!!!
This is likely to be "just a collectible" for me, I greatly prefer the original 12C.
Sorry for the low-quality pictures, but here they are: