|Re: Cleaning an hp48 keypad|
Message #2 Posted by Randy on 24 May 2004, 7:54 p.m.,
in response to message #1 by andy
Distilled water will not bother them, 15 minutes max each rinse is all you need. There is only one electrolytic, the 1000uf battery bypass/backup cap.
Warm water is better (95-100°f max. Remove the battery and port covers, soak, take out, shake out water, push all the buttons, resubmerge in same water then repeat with fresh water three times. Shake out well, leave to dry in a warm place for two days. A fan blowing on it helps.
Pop usually washes out okay. You need the warm water to dissolve the sugar. Pushing the buttons alot while submerged helps drive the crud out of the keydomes.
If the batteries where left in and it was really, really saturated with liquid it could be toast as the ON switch traces will open due to electrolysis. If it's dead after it's dry, that's usually the reason.
Edited: 24 May 2004, 7:58 p.m.