Graph analysis
03-20-2015, 11:40 PM
Graph analysis
I'm very new to the Prime and have become used to the Nspire CX CAS over the past 18 months and there are very obvious differences between the machines, UI-wise. I've grown accustomed to being able to analyze graphs from a short menu chain with a long list of analysis types. I see something similar on the Prime in the function app/Plot but with fewer options readily apparent. For example, I used the advanced graphing to type in the formula for a hyperbola and tried to find a way to analyze it, specifically to graph the asymptote, but didn't see an option for it. I've read a lot of postings, I remember some of them, but I don't remember seeing if there was a menu somewhere with different analysis methods. Is analysis something that can be performed via menu in the advanced graphing app or is it limited to the function app? Just trying to find my way around this device and help is always appreciated. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2015, 07:44 AM
RE: Graph analysis
The difference here is that the Nspire has the conics as specific graph types: function, polar, parametric, hyperbola, ellipse, ... The Advanced Graphing App is a very powerful relation grapher, but it has no knowledge of specific graphs, such as hyperbolas.

I love the way the Adv Graph App allows you to explore things like:
- If x^2+y^2=r^2 is a circle, what would x^4+y^4=r^4 look like?
- An ellipse/hyperbola is the set of point whose distances to two fixed points add/subtract to constant. What if the product was a constant? Or the quotient?
- What if you had the set of point whose distances to three fixed points add to constant?

The Geometry App has some of what you're looking for. From the Plot screen, select Cmds, Curve, and you'll see options for graphing the conics. I could be wrong, but I don't see anything for graphing the asymptotes and such.

To do what you're asking for would require something like a Conics App, something that seems strangely missing for such a powerful calculator.
01-17-2018, 03:37 AM
RE: Graph analysis
I agree with that, some time ago I sent a suggestion but nobody paid attention ... The conics are very useful in practical life and in mathematics, they even teach in the courses of calculation in the university, and the HP Prime does not It has tools to analyze them, such as concavity, focus, axis of symmetry, asymptotes, directrix, etc. And I should have an application for that, called maybe so "conics" would be great, and as necessary as the application for triangles that the calculator already incorporates from the factory.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)