Exactly how do you update the DM42 Firmware?
12-28-2017, 06:25 PM
RE: Exactly how do you update the DM42 Firmware?
So many questions.

Invoke, call, execute, run...

You need these two files only:

Dmtools for Windows:

https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/tools/dm_tool.exe

Swiss Micros driver:

https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/tools/l....2.6.0.zip

Unfortunately Windows requires some knowledge of unsecured driver installation. No way around that except to complain to programmers at Microsoft that assume we all have the Windows manual memorized.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2017, 06:42 PM
(12-28-2017 05:58 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Assuming you have windows 10.xx:

A). Production DM42 does not have PGM pin hole. It does have a reset pinhole. Reset hole t9 be used in a hung state or to exit bootloader mode.

B). To navigate the setup menu on calculator use ‘up down’ keys or line select by pressing associated key aligned with the title in the menu.

C) on your computer create a DM42 folder and sub folders labelled for example:

- backup, dmtool, firmware updates and whatever else you want.

D) failure modes involve bad USB cable, windows update removing unsecured drivers, security scan removing updated drivers. All involve envoking administrator and reinstalling the driver back to the computer.

E). Download and unzip from here: Update 3.1. You may or may not have to envoke administrator permissions to load driver on your computer. This is window fault to avoid hacking, malware and etc. It does make everything awkward.

1) install the correct driver on your computer using these instructions: Driver installation for computer. You may or may not have to restart your computer.

2) plug calculator into computer USB port.

3) on calculator call up setup menu and select.

- SETUP/File>/Activate USB Disk >. **if all is correct you should see your FAT directory on a windows file folder on your computer screen. At this point I create a back folder on the computer and copy the FAT over to a backup folder labelled DM42/backup.

- SETUP/Calc State/Save State. ** if you have programs already installed this will save them for reloading later if required. This should not be required if all goes well.

- eject the USB DISK with the EXIT key on the calculator or eject the USB drive from the computer. Remove the cable from the calculator.

4) install the latest DM42 tool file from: Latest dmtool for dm42

5) on computer, once dmtool is loaded by the windows wizard, envoke (call) dmtool.exe.

6) on calculator:

- connect the calculator to the computer. Remember, dmtool is called first then calculator is plugged into computer USB.

- SETUP/System/Enter/Bootloader.

- on dmtool window on computer screen you should see a handshake between the calculator and the computer.

- select browse on the dmtool window and find the updated firmware file on your computer.

- select the file.

- select program on the dmtool window.

-watch the magic.

Geoff

P.S. once you have done a few of these it becomes muscle memory which is why the old hats (beta testers) at this breeze through it.

Regarding installing the USB driver, it says.."You have to initiate the device into bootloader mode by pressing BOOT0 button and then RESET." Does one not need to hit reset??...
12-28-2017, 06:46 PM
(12-28-2017 06:25 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  So many questions.

Dmtools for Windows:

Swiss Micros driver:

Unfortunately Windows requires some knowledge of unsecured driver installation. No way around that except to complain to programmers at Microsoft that assume we all have the Windows manual memorized.

So one does not need to unzip the strm32 boot zip file in the needed tools section?...Where does the stm32 boot file that one selects in the driver wizard come from then if one does not install the stm32 zip files???
12-28-2017, 06:48 PM
@zeno333 - With all due respect, relax a bit and please be a bit more patient...

It's only been 2.5 hours since your first post; since then you've posted 10 more times, asking for help about 30 times. As you can see, folks here want to help, but a perfect reply with detailed steps that you can follow may take hours or even days to be posted.

Moreover the update from 3.0 to 3.1 is not too dramatic, and it seems there will be a 3.2 update before long, so you may want to wait for that to avoid doing the update twice.

The original instructions (which clearly do need to updated) were created for the users in the Beta program, and the production units are improved and easier and more reliable to update.

Until then, my suggestions are:

1. Join and add a post on the SM Forum, noting that the available instructions are out of date, and could they please be updated.

2. Find online help about how to install unsigned drivers in Windows 10. This is a windows issue, not a SM issue, and there are lots of sites with these simple instructions. There seem to be a lot of steps, but the process is actually fairly simple.

Please don't give up, use the opportunity to learn something new and expand your skills.

Good luck, and please do report success when you've reached it.

--Bob Prosperi
12-28-2017, 06:53 PM
(12-28-2017 06:25 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  So many questions.

Dmtools for Windows:

Swiss Micros driver:

Windows defender just flagged the Tools program as a virus and automatically deleted it...argh!!!!! It did not give me an option of restoring or keeping it etc....Now what?...this is toooo much....
12-28-2017, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 07:13 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Standby.

Also, stop quoting, takes up to many pages. ;-)

I am going to run the whole thing.

Also, please sign up to the DM42 forum. It is the clearing house for the DM:

https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewforum.php?f=15

also, maybe check out the DM42 beta forum also at the Swiss Micros site:

https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewforum.php?f=3

—————-

My mistake,

STM bootloader driver is required but is loaded automatically using the following link

https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/doc/libusb_install/

The wizard takes care of it. Once the library drivers are installed then follow my instructions on the first post.

Geoff
12-28-2017, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 07:22 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Windows defender did not like the driver and did not trust it. I am not using defender but there should be a button that allows you to trust the installed driver somewhere on the notification window that pops up.

In fact I ran defender and found a pop up window that says “ windows protected your pc”

To the left under the text warning you is the “more info” button. Click here and get a “run anyway” message at bottom right of pop up.

New pop up occurs and click on third option “run program anyway”
12-28-2017, 07:27 PM
(12-28-2017 07:17 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Windows defender did not like the driver and did not trust it. I am not using defender but there should be a button that allows you to trust the installed driver somewhere on the notification window that pops up.

In fact I ran defender and found a pop up window that says “ windows protected your pc”

To the left under the text warning you is the “more info” button. Click here and get a “run anyway” message at bottom right of pop up.

New pop up occurs and click on third option “run program anyway”

I was not referring to that issue..this was much more than that..it flagged it and automatically deleted it...i...that notice you mentioned I get from time to time also, but this was different...Defender quarantined it etc...
12-28-2017, 07:30 PM
My mistake,

STM bootloader driver is required but is loaded automatically using the following link

The wizard takes care of it. Once the library drivers are installed then follow my instructions on the first post.

Geoff
[/quote]
Confused...how does it take care of getting the driver?...So the stm32 zip file is not needed at all then? Where does it get it if I I not install it?....
12-28-2017, 07:42 PM
So when installing the USB driver, does one enter Bootmode and hit reset? I ask since the regular dm42 instructions say that hitting rest cancels being in Boot mode...confused.
12-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Screen 5 of the instructions shows the WINDOWS pop up and the STM file. Wizard does the transfer automatically. You do not need to load the stm file manually. Just let wizard work and follow the pop ups as per the instructions.

Unless I am there with you, I cannot help any more.

Perhaps someone else can explain Windows: wizards, defender, drivers and etc better than I.

Other than Windows complicating everything with respect to drivers, administrator, defender and etc the SwissMicro tools are exemplary for updating firmware.

Defender issue: google the error and see what comes up. It may be that you are not set as the administrator for your own computer; another Windows idiocy.

Cheers
12-28-2017, 07:53 PM
(12-28-2017 07:45 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Screen 5 of the instructions shows the WINDOWS pop up and the STM file. Wizard does the transfer automatically. You do not need to load the stm file manually. Just let wizard work and follow the pop ups as per the instructions.

Unless I am there with you, I cannot help any more.

Perhaps someone else can explain Windows: wizards, defender, drivers and etc better than I.

Other than Windows complicating everything with respect to drivers, administrator, defender and etc the SwissMicro tools are exemplary for updating firmware.

Defender issue: google the error and see what comes up. It may be that you are not set as the administrator for your own computer; another Windows idiocy.

Cheers
I am the Administrator for sure....
12-28-2017, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 08:03 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
One more post.

You are confusing issues here. Reset is for a hung calculator; be it accidentally starting a Bootloader condition from the calculator SETUP menu or a hung program that stalls the CPU..

The calculator should NOT be attached when installing the USB driver on the computer. The reset as explained above is a calculator physical reset restarting a stalled calculator CPU.

It seems that you are having a Windows issue installing the driver using:

That is a windows issue. Maybe turn defender off and any other antivirus you have then try:

As stated it will automatically install the stm driver.

Finally, the order in which to install requisite utilities and firmware:

- install driver,
- install dm_tool,
- download latest firmware,
- execute,call,invoke dm_tool,
- connect calculator to USB.
- SETUP/System/Enter/Bootloader
- see handshake on dm_tool pop up.
- Browse to find firmware (where you saved it).
- Hit program on dm_tool pop up
- watch progress,
- disconnect and enjoy.

Fixing windows problems over a forum is like diagnosing a patient remotely. Very frustrating, and that is Windows fault, not yours.
12-28-2017, 08:05 PM
(12-28-2017 05:59 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Didier,

Just one correction in your first bullet, the sequence should be SETUP > 2. Calc.State > 2. Save State.

Thanks, I've updated my post above to have the correct sequence.
12-28-2017, 08:08 PM
[quote='Geoff Quickfall' pid='87198' dateline='1514490851']
One more post.

You are confusing issues here. Reset is for a hung calculator; be it accidentally starting a Bootloader condition from the calculator SETUP menu or a hung program that stalls the CPU..

The calculator should NOT be attached when installing the USB driver on the computer. The reset as explained above is a calculator physical reset restarting a stalled calculator CPU.

Step 4 says to connect the USB device when installing the USB driver....
12-28-2017, 08:11 PM
I think it would help if you, zeno, write a list of steps that you followed and where you got a problem.

Picking out this or that step in a flood of replies is confusing.

Something like.

- I did A
- then I did B
- then I did C
- at M I got stuck, with this error: error_description .

It can be also useful for other people that may end up in your same situation.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
12-28-2017, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 08:23 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Yes, connect in step 4, after following steps 1 - 3.p not connected. This allows Windows to find the device.

Pier4r is correct and this is leading to repair help being out of order and confused.

We need you to list step by step to the point where it falls apart. Screenshots are helpful also, especially for error messages.

Also, this is better done at the swiss micros dm42 forum:

12-28-2017, 08:31 PM
(12-28-2017 08:20 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Yes, connect in step 4, after following steps 1 - 3.p not connected. This allows Windows to find the device.

Pier4r is correct and this is leading to repair help being out of order and confused.

We need you to list step by step to the point where it falls apart. Screenshots are helpful also, especially for error messages.

Also, this is better done at the swiss micros dm42 forum:

OK, so in step 4 one connects..it also in step 4 says to go to Bootmode and hit reset...Do I hit reset in step 4???
12-28-2017, 08:46 PM
[quote='Geoff Quickfall' pid='87196' dateline='1514490356']
Screen 5 of the instructions shows the WINDOWS pop up and the STM file. Wizard does the transfer automatically. You do not need to load the stm file manually. Just let wizard work and follow the pop ups as per the instructions.

So why is there a ZIP file of the STM Boot driver under things need to update listing then if onehttps://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/tools/ does not need to install it?.... It is at the bottom of this page... https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42/tools/
12-28-2017, 08:56 PM
Hi zeno333,
Given the number of questions you currently have vs. the current level of the instructions to update the DM42 firmware, I would recommend you to just wait until SwissMicros comes up with updated instructions for the production units.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)