Exactly how do you update the DM42 Firmware?
12-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Exactly how do you update the DM42 Firmware?
I see where the DM-Tools software is and the Firmware binaries...Exactly what are the steps in upgrading the DM42 Firmware?? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2017, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 04:30 PM by smp.)
RE: Exactly how do you update the DM42 Firmware?
There seems to be instructions right there on their web site...

Here:
https://www.swissmicros.com/firmware.php

and here:
https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42.php

Good luck!

smp
12-28-2017, 04:52 PM
I believe the instructions are found in the DM42 manual under the heading Firmware Update.

But the instructions could certainly use some clarification; I find the included instructions to be sparse and obscure, such that I am hesitant to attempt a firmware update.

ter
12-28-2017, 04:57 PM
(12-28-2017 04:28 PM)smp Wrote:  There seems to be instructions right there on their web site...

Here:

and here:

Good luck!

smp

The directions mention a PROGRAM button. .the DM42 does not have one..???This is why I need exact directions....Do I put the calc in Bootloader mode even after I install the USB driver?....and, where is this Program button mentioned in the upgrade using DM-Tools directions...I need step by step so I can make sure I do everything needed...
12-28-2017, 05:03 PM
(12-28-2017 04:28 PM)smp Wrote:  There seems to be instructions right there on their web site...

Here:

and here:

Good luck!

smp

Also, there is a "
stm32_bootloader_driver.zip" file in the section that lists the tools needed to update the DM42 but I see no directions about installing it....I need answers to all of the exact steps so one can do this.
12-28-2017, 05:12 PM
(12-28-2017 04:57 PM)zeno333 Wrote:  The directions mention a PROGRAM button. .the DM42 does not have one..???This is why I need exact directions....Do I put the calc in Bootloader mode even after I install the USB driver?....and, where is this Program button mentioned in the upgrade using DM-Tools directions...I need step by step so I can make sure I do everything needed...

There is no PGM button and it is not required. Their instructions are incorrect about this and they need to be updated. Also, on a Windows system, you don’t need to press the RESET button either.
12-28-2017, 05:20 PM
The directions mention a PROGRAM button which the DM42 does not have...So I need EXACT directions here...Including details regarding installing the USB driver....I need a complete walkthrough, thanks.

Also, do I put it in Bootstrap mode after I install the USB driver?...Someone posted directions before and said you install the USB driver, but they then did niot say anything about it being in Bootstrap mode when you launch Tools, but the online directions say to put it in Bootstrap mode when you launch the Tools program....I need answers here...there are conflicting directions here. thanks. EXACTLY what does one do it total do upgrade it...I need all the exact steps...when in Bootstrap mode or not, everything...I am asking for detailed directions, since the directions pose questions...
12-28-2017, 05:23 PM
(12-28-2017 05:12 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  
(12-28-2017 04:57 PM)zeno333 Wrote:  The directions mention a PROGRAM button. .the DM42 does not have one..???This is why I need exact directions....Do I put the calc in Bootloader mode even after I install the USB driver?....and, where is this Program button mentioned in the upgrade using DM-Tools directions...I need step by step so I can make sure I do everything needed...

There is no PGM button and it is not required. Their instructions are incorrect about this and they need to be updated. Also, on a Windows system, you don’t need to press the RESET button either.

OK, so with Windows what exactly are correct and incorrect directions for installing the USB driver and Firmware...I need 'correct" directions...Thanks. (How does one update without needing a program button, exactly what does one do????)
12-28-2017, 05:28 PM
(12-28-2017 05:12 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  

Also, the directions say to put the calc into Bootloader mode when launching the DM-Tools program...is this correct or incorrect?....
12-28-2017, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 08:04 PM by Didier Lachieze.)
The instructions in the DM42 manual are pretty detailed, I've followed them closely and I've successfully updated my production DM42 from firmware 3.0 to 3.1.

The only thing that would need some more writing in the manual is that on a production unit you enter the Bootloader mode via the Setup menu then System and Bootloader, this is what you have to do everytime the instructions ask to switch to the Bootloader mode (there is no BOOT0 or PGM button on a production unit).

My recommendation based on my experience (using a Win10 machine):
  • first make a backup of the RAM content in flash with Setup>Calc. State>Save Sate
  • then download the libusb, dm_tool (new version 2.3) and your firmware (the flash file not the qspi file)
  • then install libusb following the instructions on the SwissMicros site. You just have to do this step once, the first time you want to flash the firmware. Note: on Win8/10 you'll need to enable installation of unsigned drivers, be prepared for that before starting. On my Win10 1709 PC, after looking around and testing different ways I succeeded with the Advanced Boot Option as described here.
  • once libusb is installed launch dm_tool and follow the instructions in the DM42 manual to flash the firmware.

Note: once the DM42 is in Bootloader mode the only way to exit if you don't flash the firmware is with a paperclip in the Reset hole on the back. This is where your backup will be useful to restore all your data and programs.
12-28-2017, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 05:40 PM by Michael de Estrada.)
(12-28-2017 05:23 PM)zeno333 Wrote:  
(12-28-2017 05:12 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  There is no PGM button and it is not required. Their instructions are incorrect about this and they need to be updated. Also, on a Windows system, you don’t need to press the RESET button either.

OK, so with Windows what exactly are correct and incorrect directions for installing the USB driver and Firmware...I need 'correct" directions...Thanks. (How does one update without needing a program button, exactly what does one do????)

I have not yet tried a firmware update, so I can’t say for sure. I suggest you post your questions on the SwissMicros forum >>> https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Just ignore the instructions related to the PGM button.
12-28-2017, 05:39 PM
(12-28-2017 05:29 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  The instructions in the DM42 manual are pretty detailed, I've followed them closely and I've successfully updated my production DM42 from firmware 3.0 to 3.1.

The only thing that would need some more writing in the manual is that on a production unit you enter the Bootloader mode via the Setup menu then System and Bootloader, this is what you have to do everytime the instructions ask to switch to the Bootloader mode (there is no BOOT0 or PGM button on a production unit).

• first make a backup of the RAM content in flash with File>Save Sate
  • then download the libusb, dm_tool (new version 2.3) and your firmware (the flash file not the qspi file)
  • then install libusb following the instructions on the SwissMicros site. You just have to do this step once, the first time you want to flash the firmware. Note: on Win8/10 you'll need to enable installation of unsigned drivers, be prepared for that before starting. On my Win10 1709 PC, after looking around and testing different ways I succeeded with the Advanced Boot Option as described here.
  • once libusb is installed launch dm_tool and follow the instructions in the DM42 manual to flash the firmware.

Note: once the DM42 is in Bootloader mode the only way to exit if you don't flash the firmware is with a paperclip in the Reset hole on the back. This is where your backup will be useful to restore all your data and programs.

That's the rub...the directions mention a program button...you say there is no program button, and then say to follow the online directions but I can not do that since there is no program button????
12-28-2017, 05:43 PM
(12-28-2017 05:35 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  
(12-28-2017 05:23 PM)zeno333 Wrote:  OK, so with Windows what exactly are correct and incorrect directions for installing the USB driver and Firmware...I need 'correct" directions...Thanks. (How does one update without needing a program button, exactly what does one do????)

I have not yet tried a firmware update, so I can’t say for sure. I suggest you post your questions on the SwissMicros forum >>> https://forum.swissmicros.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Just ignore the instructions related to the PRG button.

????Well the program button does things in the directions...how does one do what that does without having it?....It says to use it to update the Firmware as the last step...But if one ignore that then one is stuck??? I keep getting conflicting things here....I need to know how to do it. I do not need to know what to ignore doing, that does not tell me what exactly needs done....
12-28-2017, 05:48 PM
(12-28-2017 05:29 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  The instructions in the DM42 manual are pretty detailed, I've followed them closely and I've successfully updated my production DM42 from firmware 3.0 to 3.1.

• first make a backup of the RAM content in flash with File>Save Sate

Wow..thats a big step to get the driver installed in Windows 10 64 bit...Its just not worth all of that....I will not bother upgrading. Just too much involved. I give up....
12-28-2017, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 06:15 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Assuming you have windows 10.xx:

A). Production DM42 does not have PGM pin hole. It does have a reset pinhole. Reset hole t9 be used in a hung state or to exit bootloader mode.

B). To navigate the setup menu on calculator use ‘up down’ keys or line select by pressing associated key aligned with the title in the menu.

C) on your computer create a DM42 folder and sub folders labelled for example:

- backup, dmtool, firmware updates and whatever else you want.

D) failure modes involve bad USB cable, windows update removing unsecured drivers, security scan removing updated drivers. All involve envoking administrator and reinstalling the driver back to the computer.

E). Download and unzip from here: Update 3.1. You may or may not have to envoke administrator permissions to load driver on your computer. This is window fault to avoid hacking, malware and etc. It does make everything awkward.

1) install the correct driver on your computer using these instructions: Driver installation for computer. You may or may not have to restart your computer.

2) plug calculator into computer USB port.

3) on calculator call up setup menu and select.

- SETUP/File>/Activate USB Disk >. **if all is correct you should see your FAT directory on a windows file folder on your computer screen. At this point I create a back folder on the computer and copy the FAT over to a backup folder labelled DM42/backup.

- SETUP/Calc State/Save State. ** if you have programs already installed this will save them for reloading later if required. This should not be required if all goes well.

- eject the USB DISK with the EXIT key on the calculator or eject the USB drive from the computer. Remove the cable from the calculator.

4) install the latest DM42 tool file from: Latest dmtool for dm42

5) on computer, once dmtool is loaded by the windows wizard, envoke (call) dmtool.exe.

6) on calculator:

- connect the calculator to the computer. Remember, dmtool is called first then calculator is plugged into computer USB.

- SETUP/System/Enter/Bootloader.

- on dmtool window on computer screen you should see a handshake between the calculator and the computer.

- select browse on the dmtool window and find the updated firmware file on your computer.

- select the file.

- select program on the dmtool window.

-watch the magic.

Geoff

P.S. once you have done a few of these it becomes muscle memory which is why the old hats (beta testers) at this breeze through it.
12-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Didier,

Just one correction in your first bullet, the sequence should be SETUP > 2. Calc.State > 2. Save State.
12-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Well, you give up!

I would keep trying. I am not a c9mputer guru but have noticed the driver issue on the computer is a windows operating system failure, not Swiss Micros. I hate having to tell the computer that I am the administrator.

I have successfully updated the beta unit from the intial to this final version of the firmware. I have never used the PGM pinhole button. My only problems occurred when Windows or Norton security did an update to the system and nixed the driver as unsecured.

Others have had USB cable problems including not being inserted completely into the calculator. The fix involved shaving some of the plastic off the mini USB plug to compensate for the calculators slant at the USB port.
12-28-2017, 06:10 PM
(12-28-2017 05:58 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Assuming you have windows 10.xx:

A). Production DM42 does not have PGM pin hole. It does have a reset pinhole.

B). To navigate the setup menu on calculator use ‘up down’ keys or line select by pressing associated key aligned with the title in the menu.

D) failure modes involve bad USB cable, windows update removing unsecured drivers, security scan removing updated drivers. All involve envoking administrator and reinstalling the driver back to the computer.

D). Download and unzip from here: Update 3.1

1) install the correct driver on your computer using these instructions: Driver installation for computer. You may or may not have to restart your computer.

- SETUP/File>/Activate USB Disk >. **if all is correct you should see your FAT directory on a windows file folder on your computer screen. At this point I create a back folder on the computer and copy the FAT over to a backup folder labelled DM42/backup.

- eject the USB DISK with the EXIT key on the calculator or eject the USB drive from the computer. Remove the cable from the calculator.

5) on computer, once dmtool is loaded by the windows wizard envoke (call) dmtool.exe.

6) on calculator:

- connect the calculator to the computer. Remember, dmtool is called first then calculator is plugged into computer USB.

- on dmtool window on computer screen you should see a handshake between the calculator and the computer.

- select browse on the dmtool window and find the updated firmware file on your computer.

- select the file.

-watch the magic.

Geoff

Thanks for the info..I need more info on the installuing the USB driver though...the directions just mention selecting the stm32 file....I see the zip file for that in the files needed to update...What does one do with that stm32 zip file? the directions mention nothing about what to do with it..Does one unzip it?? what does one then do???Where does one put the file or files after one unzips it?...the river directions show the stm32 file being selected, but what does one need to do to get to that point??...And what is meant by your saying to 'call or invoke" the tools program, I do not know what that means. I know about starting a program, is that what you mean?
12-28-2017, 06:17 PM
I’m sure glad my PC runs on Windows 7 !
12-28-2017, 06:23 PM
(12-28-2017 05:58 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Assuming you have windows 10.xx:

A). Production DM42 does not have PGM pin hole. It does have a reset pinhole. Reset hole t9 be used in a hung state or to exit bootloader mode.

E). Download and unzip from here: Update 3.1. You may or may not have to envoke administrator permissions to load driver on your computer. This is window fault to avoid hacking, malware and etc. It does make everything awkward.

- SETUP/Calc State/Save State. ** if you have programs already installed this will save them for reloading later if required. This should not be required if all goes well.

5) on computer, once dmtool is loaded by the windows wizard, envoke (call) dmtool.exe.

6) on calculator:

- select the file.

-watch the magic.

Geoff

P.S. once you have done a few of these it becomes muscle memory which is why the old hats (beta testers) at this breeze through it.
So does one install the stm32-bootloader driver first?...The directions do not say hat to do with that zip file....it just mentions selecting it in the setup wizard, I need to know what to do to get to that point of being about to select the stm32 boot driver....

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)