Coburlins new name
12-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Coburlins new name
Our dear friend changed his name on the bay: kobel-co
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2017, 08:57 PM
RE: Coburlins new name
(12-27-2017 08:48 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Our dear friend changed his name on the bay: kobel-co

Thanks Matthias.
Nothing is destroyed, everything is transformed...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
12-27-2017, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2017 09:38 PM by rprosperi.)
Wow, you're quick! I saw the old name earlier today!

Same discount prices... screwing-up and affecting other newb sellers... sigh...

Thanks for the note Matthias.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
12-27-2017, 10:16 PM
I think he has a special affinity for Colorado (whence the co). This is his third eBay ID with co in it.
12-27-2017, 10:30 PM
That will be easy for me to remember, since my niece is a mechanical engineer who was a project engineer at Kobelco! http://kobelcocompressors.com/

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
12-27-2017, 10:41 PM
(12-27-2017 10:30 PM)Garth Wilson Wrote:  That will be easy for me to remember, since my niece is a mechanical engineer who was a project engineer at Kobelco! http://kobelcocompressors.com/

How interesting! Can Kobelco sue kobel-co for his eBay handle????

:-)

Namir
01-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Hi,
but the last nickname was not 'garbocco'?

Ignazio
01-10-2018, 02:02 PM
Odd. Had dealings with a Coberlin many years ago on eBay... Wonder if connected.
01-10-2018, 02:29 PM
(12-27-2017 08:48 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Our dear friend changed his name on the bay: kobel-co

Are you being facetious or serious when you say "dear friend"? Is he a bad seller? I don't know the background.

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-10-2018, 03:08 PM
(01-10-2018 02:29 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Is he a bad seller? I don't know the background.

Good and Bad are subjective.

He/she has a 100% Positive feedback rating so it seems quite acceptable to those buyers. People that have made purchases from this seller (under various seller names) have reported satisfaction with their purchases.

But, ridiculously high prices, very limited product photos and descriptions, and refusal to answer any questions about the listed items (simply no reply at all) has led many buyers to conclude it's best to not buy here.

You can (and should) make your own decision about deciding to buy from any seller. Hopefully these comments will help.

--Bob Prosperi
01-10-2018, 09:24 PM
(01-10-2018 03:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-10-2018 02:29 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  Is he a bad seller? I don't know the background.

Good and Bad are subjective.

He/she has a 100% Positive feedback rating so it seems quite acceptable to those buyers. People that have made purchases from this seller (under various seller names) have reported satisfaction with their purchases.

But, ridiculously high prices, very limited product photos and descriptions, and refusal to answer any questions about the listed items (simply no reply at all) has led many buyers to conclude it's best to not buy here.

You can (and should) make your own decision about deciding to buy from any seller. Hopefully these comments will help.

Good and fair summery about him.
I also bought items from him and I can not say these deals were bad. But I also laugh on his high prices and ever I have a email address from him he strictly does not answer any of my attempts to contact him.
01-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Boy he sure has a lot of stuff for sale. Looks like a complete transfer!
I'm envious Wink
01-12-2018, 08:08 AM
The flip side of Coburlin's high prices were his[?] bottom fishing as a buyer. He bid low on every HP calculator he could find. When I was active on eBay, back in in 2003-10, watching him was a good way to spot auctions that had missed my filters.

I remember getting the impression that "burlin" referred to Burlingame, the SF Peninsula city just north of San Mateo. My mailing address is there, though I live in San Mateo. I'm not sure now how I came by that idea. It may have been due to the shipping address on his auctions, or from some other source.

Regards,
Howard
01-12-2018, 10:05 AM
(01-12-2018 08:08 AM)Howard Owen Wrote:  The flip side of Coburlin's high prices were his[?] bottom fishing as a buyer. He bid low on every HP calculator he could find. When I was active on eBay, back in in 2003-10, watching him was a good way to spot auctions that had missed my filters.

I remember getting the impression that "burlin" referred to Burlingame, the SF Peninsula city just north of San Mateo. My mailing address is there, though I live in San Mateo. I'm not sure now how I came by that idea. It may have been due to the shipping address on his auctions, or from some other source.

Ha ha! Here in northern New York State, with no other clues, we'd think of Burlington, VT

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-12-2018, 10:23 AM
(01-12-2018 08:08 AM)Howard Owen Wrote:  The flip side of Coburlin's high prices were his[?] bottom fishing as a buyer. He bid low on every HP calculator he could find.

Not only that but as soon as you listed something he would contact you directly with a buy-it-now offer outside eBay. People who gave in on that would find their stuff relisted by him a week later for 10 to 100 times the price he paid them...
I know, this is how capitalism works, but in a community of (mainly) hobbyists that kind of behavior does not increase ones popularity.
01-12-2018, 05:47 PM
(01-12-2018 10:23 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 08:08 AM)Howard Owen Wrote:  The flip side of Coburlin's high prices were his[?] bottom fishing as a buyer. He bid low on every HP calculator he could find.

Not only that but as soon as you listed something he would contact you directly with a buy-it-now offer outside eBay. People who gave in on that would find their stuff relisted by him a week later for 10 to 100 times the price he paid them...
I know, this is how capitalism works, but in a community of (mainly) hobbyists that kind of behavior does not increase ones popularity.

I don’t understand why you think someone should not try to profit from selling things in order to become popular. If you are foolish enough to overpay for something that is available from someone else for far less, then shame on you for not doing your research. There are plenty of opportunistic scalpers out there waiting to cash in on suckers with deep pockets and lazy minds.
01-12-2018, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 06:38 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

(01-12-2018 05:47 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  If you are foolish enough to overpay for something that is available from someone else for far less, then shame on you for not doing your research.

Where I live, ripping of "foolish" people is called fraud. And this is what I think of it as well. Imagine my wife or my mom who both know I collect calculators want to buy me a birthday present. They will soon find out that about the only remaining source for such stuff is eBay. Not knowing much about calculators and not knowing much about eBay they may end up buying stuff from people like this (ex) Coburlin. He has good quality products that no one else has and 100% rating. I cetrainly wouldn't want that to happen. And would it really be "foolish" of them to do it? What kind of research are they supposed to do?

Luckily there are other examples of calculator collectors who (at least partly) finance their hobby through buying and selling stuff wihout ripping off the poor "foolish" ones among us. For example "datamath-calculator-museum", "frodo_baggins_uk", "typenkorb" or "waterhosko" (who manufactues and sells mostly home-made replacement battery packs for ridiculously low money) and a few more. (BTW: According to the forum rules we are supposed to state our own eBay name when writing down other people's names. If anyone is interested I will PM them my eBay alias, but I won't write it here next to my real name as every internet harvest bot will then be able to link the two).

Regards
Max
01-12-2018, 06:39 PM
Overcharging for something is not fraud, unless it is somehow being misrepresented. Are you suggesting that all the scalpers selling HP 15C Limited Edition or HP 50g calculators for many times more than they paid for them should be prosecuted for committing fraud ?

As to your relatives who might be fooled when buying something they know nothing about, I suggest you tell them not to do this, because this is a great way to get scammed.
01-12-2018, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 06:57 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
(01-12-2018 06:39 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Overcharging for something is not fraud, ...

In this part of the world it is. If grandma goes to the auto dealer and he sells her a small Toyota for 150,000 Euros he will go to jail for that.

Edit: The German term for this kind of deal is "sittenwidrig". No idea what American legal term that translates into (and no time for googling as I am to to my weekly astronomers meeting - we suffer the same problem that some people are trying to maximise their income from our hobby...)
01-12-2018, 07:10 PM
(01-12-2018 06:50 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 06:39 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  Overcharging for something is not fraud, ...

In this part of the world it is. If grandma goes to the auto dealer and he sells her a small Toyota for 150,000 Euros he will go to jail for that.

Interesting. I guess Germany is not a free enterprise economy, and the federal goverment sets prices ?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)