Beta HP Connectivity Kit v3
12-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Beta HP Connectivity Kit v3
All Betas HP Connectivity Kits plus current HP Connectivity Kit cause this problem for me.

The HP Connectivity kit can not find HP Prime Pro bought from Microsoft Store if I run it on the same Window's 10 computer. It can find HP Prime Pro running on a second Window's 10 computer plus Virtual PC running on HP Prime Kit's computer and others such as a virtual mac version running on this network. See Thumbnail.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2017, 07:48 PM
RE: Beta HP Connectivity Kit v3
This is actually Microsoft stopping you from doing it. Don't blame me! Smile

I'm serious about that. Windows store apps disallow any form of connection from one program to another *on the same device* except with a very limited set of connections they completely control and have defined. Doing custom connections is not possible. The reasoning is that it is a security risk and malware/spyware uses these methods to hijack stuff.

Communication works fine to another device on the network, but can't talk to the connkit running locally.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
12-19-2017, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2017 05:37 PM by lschroeder1947.)
(12-18-2017 07:48 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  ... Windows store apps disallow any form of connection from one program to another *on the same device* except with a very limited set of connections they completely control and have defined. Doing custom connections is not possible. The reasoning is that it is a security risk and malware/spyware uses these methods to hijack stuff.

Communication works fine to another device on the network, but can't talk to the connkit running locally.

Thanks for this explanation and your earlier Chromebook's Google Playstore HP Prime Pro explanation of Pro's inability to access the HP Prime Connectivity Kit.

(12-09-2017 05:50 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  The specific issue here is that we use network broadcast packets for detection and connection to the connkit. Android on chrome specifically blocks network broadcast packets except using when you use the android api (zeroconf/bonjour). It isn't just a simple "change a few functions" but rather "rewrite completely for all platforms" type of change to get it going.

Tim is HP open to looking at places where connkit connectivity works but currently no direct support.

Fire 7, Fire 8 HD, and Fire 10 HD work through an unsupported and likely to be blocked addition of the Google Play Store. Could they be added to the Amazon Appstore and be supported for Fire users, like current support for iOS, Android, and Windows 10 Free/Lite/Pro apps.

The Nexus Player, MBox, Fire TV and other Android based applications work by side loading the Free/Lite or Pro. To use you need a USB or Bluetooth mouse. A keyboard helps as well.

12-20-2017, 01:33 AM
It mainly has to do with the time to test and evaluate things. We don't just "assume" that something will work, so we'd have to get specific devices (or a selection from a family of devices) and run through testing to make ourselves confident that it runs equivalently.

Then the math works down to: is the cost of testing this going to give a large enough return or potential return that we'd use our limited time doing this instead of <something_else>?

That is something they are constantly looking at and evaluating. I will pass on your request and maybe at some future point that equation will be favorable.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
12-23-2017, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2017 03:34 PM by lschroeder1947.)
Problems with Define and HP connectivity kit.

See post using Define.

Reset Windows Pro. Only used with 3 functions given. After working pivmat breaks (attach 1). Define pivmat no longer has M selected (attach 2). Con kit works before M is dropped (attach 3). Then crashes when M is empty. Reselecting M Define's pivmat works, restarting Con kit still crashes. Saved a backup after lineptm, linept1pt2, pivmat initially entered. Restoring backup pivmat no longer crashes Con kit. Continue use I again have problems. Sometimes pivmat is all garbage. Con kit helps me debug. When it displays the calculator info the calculator never crashes. When it does not display and con kit crashes the calculator may work for awhile but will eventually crash.

Is there a problem with pivmat's define. I wanted to use pivmat in Free/Lite to solve Simplex problems. Thought I could use with Pro as well. Is there a problem with using nested functions in Define?

12-24-2017, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2017 08:41 AM by lschroeder1947.)
(12-23-2017 03:03 PM)lschroeder1947 Wrote:  Problems with Define and HP connectivity kit.

See post using Define.

... Is there a problem with using nested functions in Define?
Alternate approach

See part of my post using cas variables for finance operations.

Attach 4 shows CAS variable pivmat from Con Kit and Define Variables linept1pt2 and lineptm, the later 2 created using Define post's technique.

I used notepad++ with prime plug-in to first type the CAS variable pivmat. Shown next. You could use any text editor. Then I use system copy and paste to enter it into the Windows HP Prime Pro app.

pivmat(m,r,c):=
BEGIN
return pivot(SCALE(m,(1/m(r,c)),r),r,c);
END;

I am doing this in immediate mode using CAS view, so that it will work in the Free/Lite version. Notice in attach 3 it does not appear in the Pro's Program Catalog. I have also found it necessary in the Window's 10 Pro version to include BEGIN, return, and END. If BEGIN, return, and END are not included the Con Kit crashes at "CAS Vars". Free on Window's sometimes crashes without BEGIN, return, and END being used for its CAS variables.

Attach 1 show the result of pivmat being pasted into CAS view, followed by its use. Attach 2 shows it also works from HOME view.

12-27-2017, 12:07 PM
(12-18-2017 07:48 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  This is actually Microsoft stopping you from doing it. Don't blame me! Smile

I'm serious about that. Windows store apps disallow any form of connection from one program to another *on the same device* except with a very limited set of connections they completely control and have defined. Doing custom connections is not possible. The reasoning is that it is a security risk and malware/spyware uses these methods to hijack stuff.

Thanks for the explanation! It makes sense, likely MS store app are sandboxed.

Anyway is there a way to have a workaround?

For example exporting the key of the bought app (I have the prime pro) and then sideloading another installation (out of the store) of the prime virtual calculator and putting the key there.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)