HP 41C solver problem
12-08-2017, 05:13 PM
RE: HP 41C solver problem
(12-07-2017 11:37 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 08:15 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Having brought out of the drawer my almost 40 y.o. HP-41C box I was amazed, once more, by the quality of the materials (the box, manuals, module holder, calculator, case, even the Eveready N cells box!, are still in like pristine condition).
And I was reminded of fond memories, while devouring that complete and easily readable manual, coast to coast.

Thank you Hewlett·Packard from the Seventies.

Thank God Massimo... I thought I was the only geek that kept the original battery box!! Big Grin

I am very sure I have that one too, so do not worry, you are normal. Wink

Håkan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2017, 06:58 PM
(12-08-2017 05:13 PM)hth Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 11:37 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Thank God Massimo... I thought I was the only geek that kept the original battery box!! Big Grin

I am very sure I have that one too, so do not worry, you are normal. Wink

Håkan

A battery box?! What does it look like?

My first HP-41C was a demo unit that came with four N-cells in its battery holder. I do not think any of the standard accessories were missing, but I cannot remember something like a battery box. So maybe one of you has a picture...?-)

Dieter
12-08-2017, 07:25 PM
(12-08-2017 06:58 PM)Dieter Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 05:13 PM)hth Wrote:  I am very sure I have that one too, so do not worry, you are normal. Wink

Håkan

A battery box?! What does it look like?

My first HP-41C was a demo unit that came with four N-cells in its battery holder. I do not think any of the standard accessories were missing, but I cannot remember something like a battery box. So maybe one of you has a picture...?-)

Dieter

It is a small paper box that holds the 4 N cells, just the same size as the batteries side by side. I think I got a Duracell one. It was not a HP product, but as it came with the HP-41 in its box, it is also blessed.

I cannot provide a picture of that small paper box at the moment as it lives in a storage closet that is blocked from the outside by far more stuff than I care to move around.

Later on HP introduced the Coma mode on the Saturn, so those machines were delivered with the batteries installed. The Coma mode made the calculator not consume basically any power, which means the batteries were still new when the buyer opened her/his new treasure, months-years after it was manufactured.

Håkan
12-08-2017, 08:04 PM
(12-08-2017 07:25 PM)hth Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 06:58 PM)Dieter Wrote:  A battery box?! What does it look like?

Dieter

It is a small paper box that holds the 4 N cells, just the same size as the batteries side by side. I think I got a Duracell one. It was not a HP product, but as it came with the HP-41 in its box, it is also blessed.

I cannot provide a picture of that small paper box at the moment as it lives in a storage closet that is blocked from the outside by far more stuff than I care to move around.

Håkan

Ok, give me a moment...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2017, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 09:10 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
Notice the warranty...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2017, 09:20 PM
(12-08-2017 08:22 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Notice the warranty...

Big Grin
12-08-2017, 11:16 PM
(12-08-2017 08:22 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Notice the warranty...

I'm not sure how many customers were willing to mail their HP-41 to the battery manufacturer, even if damaged...

I believe my box is different; I will try to dig this weekend to see and post a photo if different.

@Dieter - The boxes are nothing special or noteworthy, just the box HP bought them in and shipped in the 41 box. But it seemed at the time I should save it, in case, oh 30-40 years later, I wondered about it.

--Bob Prosperi
12-10-2017, 04:04 PM
I dug out my original 41 boxes, and both had their original N Cell battery boxes safely inside.

On the left, the box that came with my original 41C (early 1980) and on the right, the box that came with my 41CX (Aug '83), straddling my latest '41, a V5 41CL, sporting a CCD ROM keyboard overlay (for Angel's OSX3 ROM, a permanent part of both of my 41CLs)

I did not recall the "Energizer" brand name went back that far; it appears it was coined between 80-83.

Seems I was both right and wrong about my box differing from Massimo's.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

--Bob Prosperi
12-10-2017, 06:37 PM
(12-10-2017 04:04 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I dug out my original 41 boxes, and both had their original N Cell battery boxes safely inside.

On the left, the box that came with my original 41C (early 1980) and on the right, the box that came with my 41CX (Aug '83), straddling my latest '41, a V5 41CL, sporting a CCD ROM keyboard overlay (for Angel's OSX3 ROM, a permanent part of both of my 41CLs)

I did not recall the "Energizer" brand name went back that far; it appears it was coined between 80-83.

Seems I was both right and wrong about my box differing from Massimo's.

I also did a little bit of digging in that closet of mine and sadly I could not find the battery box for my 1981 41CV. So it appears it is gone!? I am pretty sure it was a Duracell one, but it could be that the shop put it together as they kind of put things back into the box when I bought it.

I did find the battery box for my 1986 41CX Halfnut though, it looks the same as your second one.

Håkan

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)