Scientific calculators that have formula/equation memory
06-06-2018, 11:53 PM
RE: Scientific calculators that have formula/equation memory
(12-06-2017 03:50 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 01:16 PM)pier4r Wrote:  "Virtually all the scientific/financial calculator manufacturers have created pocket models able to do formula entry". Can you list a couple that are still produced?

Hi, Pier4r,

. . .

But then Casio has got newer models like the fx-991 X Classwiz series that, despite limited to what the built-in algorithms can offer, also have continuous memory and a solver.

Casio also offers the current top of the line, scientific, non-graphic, programmable fx-5800P pocket calculator. Not only it is programmable as it offers a solver and formulas as well.

The Casio fx-991X does not have continuous memory in regular COMP mode. When it times out after several minutes of non-use, all of your calculation history is lost; deleted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2018, 02:18 AM
Darn, I really wish I'd taken notice of this thread sooner.

Unfortunately, the only calculator I have that's a formula-storing non-graphical calculator is a rather ugly Canon F-804P. That Canon's also no longer in production, and I don't know if there's a modern Canon equivalent. If there is, I haven't got it. I covered it (and others) in my blog post over on blogspot. The calculator comes with 27 variables (A-Z, Theta), 38 baked-in formulae, 10 physics constants, and the ability to both store formula and solve those formulae, but there's a limit (that I haven't yet hit) of up to 99 formulae including the 38 already installed in the calculator. Presumably the formulae use the existing 26 variables for their variable recalling and prompting. It's also the smallest calculator I have, at only 140mm high, 80 mm wide and 11mm thick. This would already have made it a daily driver, except for two things: the fascia is one of the ugliest I've come across in a calculator, and the English portion of the manual was not translated very well at all. It also (apparently) only has 145 functions, unlike the 240 that the Casio FX-82MS advertises.

(Post 241)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2018, 01:57 PM
(06-06-2018 11:53 PM)Lonewolf Wrote:  The Casio fx-991X does not have continuous memory in regular COMP mode. When it times out after several minutes of non-use, all of your calculation history is lost; deleted.

Also, spreadsheets are lost, which is quite annoying if you have a use for them rather than treating them as a gimmick.
06-07-2018, 02:18 PM
(06-07-2018 01:57 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(06-06-2018 11:53 PM)Lonewolf Wrote:  The Casio fx-991X does not have continuous memory in regular COMP mode. When it times out after several minutes of non-use, all of your calculation history is lost; deleted.

Also, spreadsheets are lost, which is quite annoying if you have a use for them rather than treating them as a gimmick.

Yeah, if they had given it even 32KB continuous memory for storing a few spreadsheets, I'd definitely get one. You could do simple finance, probability, etc. worksheets.
06-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Of course, it's for use in exams. With no continuous memory it is extremely easy for an invigilator to clear it!

Nigel (UK)
06-07-2018, 07:56 PM
(06-07-2018 02:18 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(06-07-2018 01:57 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Also, spreadsheets are lost, which is quite annoying if you have a use for them rather than treating them as a gimmick.

Yeah, if they had given it even 32KB continuous memory for storing a few spreadsheets, I'd definitely get one. You could do simple finance, probability, etc. worksheets.

In my opinion Casio's "state-of-the-art" fx-991EX is nothing more than a gimmick next to the TI-36X Pro... Without memory safeguard you are left with nothing after the 991EX times-out after a few minutes of non-use, or if you must change calculator Modes, —and then return to your original Mode.

It's why I never bought one.
`
06-07-2018, 08:16 PM
(06-07-2018 07:56 PM)Lonewolf Wrote:  In my opinion Casio's "state-of-the-art" fx-991EX is nothing more than a gimmick next to the TI-36X Pro... Without memory safeguard you are left with nothing after the 991EX times-out after a few minutes of non-use, or if you must change calculator Modes, —and then return to your original Mode.

`

Yup, the 36X Pro will happily save all of your stat data until you deliberately clear it. Casios and Sharps, as nice as some of them are, will rarely do that if they aren't graphers.
06-09-2018, 01:38 PM
(06-07-2018 07:56 PM)Lonewolf Wrote:  In my opinion Casio's "state-of-the-art" fx-991EX is nothing more than a gimmick next to the TI-36X Pro... Without memory safeguard you are left with nothing after the 991EX times-out after a few minutes of non-use, or if you must change calculator Modes, —and then return to your original Mode.

`

Thanks for the info, I did not know that modern calc "high end entry level" are without continuous memory. My sharp el-506w has it, as long as I don't change mode (I can understand that changing mode clears everything) so I was assuming the new ones had it too.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
06-09-2018, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2018 06:18 PM by Lonewolf.)
(06-09-2018 01:38 PM)pier4r Wrote:  

`

Thanks for the info, I did not know that modern calc "high end entry level" are without continuous memory. My sharp el-506w has it, as long as I don't change mode (I can understand that changing mode clears everything) so I was assuming the new ones had it too.

My Sharp El-506W does a useful trick (besides having memory safeguard). The EL-506W doesn't need batteries to operate but can operate solely on its solar cells. I use a lamp in low-light conditions when ambient light is insufficient, with no batteries.

All of the EL-506 series scientific calcs have memory safeguard, as for example does my early model, EL-506R, the most beautiful and compact of the 506-series with memory safeguard.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)