RPN mode
01-12-2014, 06:04 PM
RPN mode
So what I have figured out is that commands like HMS> and >HMS do not work in RPN MODE ?
HMS > does not work at all in either mode. I just don't understand this calculator . It's like they added a little bit of RPN just to appease the millions of happy HP users , but this and I'll be nice a let down from a Professional user.. I will donate this to some good cause if anyone knows a good one or a school . I can't use it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 06:29 PM
RE: RPN mode
This is apparently a sore subject but I think what's driving it is the intended market for this calculator....students. And math students, not engineering students.

If they had a "legacy RPN" mode making the RPN and stack behavior emulate something like the HP48 I believe they would gain thousands more sales but this doesn't seem to be a topic for discussion.

Part of this may be the complexity of comprehensively integrating RPN to the overall 'system' of the Prime.

I would be pleased with a legacy RPN that did not integrate into everything else the Prime does. Simply an engineering/legacy RPN mode allowing replacement of failing HP41's, HP48's, HP15's, etc. It would seem to be very simple compared to the overall challenge of all the Primes' potential capability and would easily make more money for HP.
01-12-2014, 06:30 PM
This calculator was mainly aimed towards hi-school students, in attempt to compete against the TI-Nspire CX/CAS, ClassPad II, TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition and Casio FX-cg10/20 models.

RPN/SysRPL were not made as default because younger users generally find them way too hard to learn and use compared to algebraic/BASIC. I don't understand why the RPN mode isn't more complete, though, since with full RPN mode they would have satisfied both userbases.

-Dream of Omnimaga
https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2014, 06:50 PM
(01-12-2014 06:04 PM)Djames Wrote:  So what I have figured out is that commands like HMS> and >HMS do not work in RPN MODE ?

HMS-> and ->HMS work fine in RPN mode. Could you provide an example of the key strokes you are trying to use?

Also, could you please verify that you are using the latest version of firmware? (Help/Tree/About HP Prime)

For me, the HP Prime has become my daily use RPN calculator. Yes, it took a little getting used to. But not really that much effort.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
01-12-2014, 07:15 PM
I figured it out I was trying to put the angle inside the () in RPN mode. So enter the angle and then issue command.. The example showed the angle in the () but that's for the other modes..
01-12-2014, 07:15 PM
I figured it out I was trying to put the angle inside the () in RPN mode. So enter the angle and then issue command.. The example showed the angle in the () but that's for the other modes..
01-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Also the E key has the characters needed to enter angles .i just could not see them before . The shift keys could use some better contrast..
01-12-2014, 07:20 PM
(01-12-2014 06:04 PM)Djames Wrote:  So what I have figured out is that commands like HMS> and >HMS do not work in RPN MODE ?
HMS > does not work at all in either mode. I just don't understand this calculator . It's like they added a little bit of RPN just to appease the millions of happy HP users , but this and I'll be nice a let down from a Professional user.. I will donate this to some good cause if anyone knows a good one or a school . I can't use it.

I may not understand exactly what you are looking for, but as far as I can see both those commands works fine in RPN. You can call them from the Catalog, or maybe better to assign the functions to User keys if you use them a lot. You can also use the Shifted \(a\) \(b/c \) to change the display from decimal to degrees minutes seconds display, at which time you can also add decimal values that are converted on the fly.

Are you using the latest firmware for the calculator? 5447 should be seen if you do; Help Tree About.

Cheers, Terje
01-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks happy now it will also add angles on the fly also that's cool .. Please forgive the rant user error. I will give it a second chance.
08-14-2017, 07:02 PM
(01-12-2014 06:29 PM)Craig Thomas Wrote:  This is apparently a sore subject but I think what's driving it is the intended market for this calculator....students. And math students, not engineering students.

If they had a "legacy RPN" mode making the RPN and stack behavior emulate something like the HP48 I believe they would gain thousands more sales but this doesn't seem to be a topic for discussion.

Part of this may be the complexity of comprehensively integrating RPN to the overall 'system' of the Prime.

I would be pleased with a legacy RPN that did not integrate into everything else the Prime does. Simply an engineering/legacy RPN mode allowing replacement of failing HP41's, HP48's, HP15's, etc. It would seem to be very simple compared to the overall challenge of all the Primes' potential capability and would easily make more money for HP.
You my check out my rpl emulator app which provided an rpl interface like 48/50.

I work with android Prime only for now on my
Galaxy Tab Pro/Note 2
11-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Sorry for offtopic, but topic name is correct.
Is there available tutorial or manual for using Prime in RPN mode? There is very little about RPN in calculators user manual. Searched in this forum, but the information is not in one place. Useful information can be found here, but there is not much special about rpn. Very helpful are Edie’s video tutorials about RPN mode in Prime. Ideally, there would be a special comprehensive guide how to use RPN in Prime. Maybe I do not know how to find it.
Also. How to use Shift Enter in RPN mode. Is there any use for square brackets [] caused after keying Shift Enter.
11-20-2017, 11:14 AM
(08-14-2017 07:02 PM)ji3m Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 06:29 PM)Craig Thomas Wrote:  This is apparently a sore subject but I think what's driving it is the intended market for this calculator....students. And math students, not engineering students.

You my check out my rpl emulator app which provided an rpl interface like 48/50.
I'm trying to use your RPL emulator with the new beta firmware but when I try to enter « I get NULL PROLOG instead.

Tom L
Cui bono?
11-22-2017, 12:39 AM
I'm learning to use HP Prime in RPN mode. Little by little get to know how to use functions and commands in RPN mode. For the moment I have sense that there are not limitations for using RPN in Home view (in comparison with the Textbook or Algebraic entry modes). Perhaps I am mistaken.
About storing variables in RPN mode. For example, store number 4 in the variable A.
Most known method is similar to HP 50g calculator.
4 Enter Shift ' ' ALPHA A Enter Shift Sto
(9 keystrokes)
But there is another method with using «variable := object» notation.
Shift ' ' ALPHA A Enter 4 Enter ALPHA : Shift = Enter
(12 keystrokes, longer way, but maybe it can be useful in some cases. Variable name must be entered first)
11-23-2017, 06:48 PM
How about CAS functions and commands on the Home view in RPN mode? It looks like everything is possible in RPN mode, all CAS functions and commands works. There are some tricks needed in some cases. Unfortunately, RPN is poorly described in the user manual.
Found how to use in RPN mode Simplify, Collect, Expand, Factor... In usual way these commands numerically evaluate the expression with variable value in RPN mode, for example,
'2*X^2-4*X+2' Enter CAS.factor(1) Enter returns 2 if X value is 0.
There must be small letter x, but with small x '2*x^2-4*x+2' Enter causes Syntax Error. Found that expression in double quotes instead of single quotes fits very well.
"2*x^2-4*x+2" Enter CAS.factor(1) Enter returns 2*(x-1)^2
With capital letter X works notation where every X is in single quotes:
'2*'X'^2-4*'X'+2' Enter CAS.factor(1) Enter returns 2*(x-1)^2
Long live RPN Smile
12-06-2017, 05:00 PM
(11-23-2017 06:48 PM)Voldemar Wrote:  It looks like everything is possible in RPN mode, all CAS functions and commands works.
I've gone through all CAS functions in RPN mode. Tested all examples from User Guide. Almost all functions from CAS menu is possible to do from Home view in RPN mode. I did not succeed only two: CAS menu -> Calculus -> Integral -> By Parts v (Cas.ibpdv) and By Parts u (Cas.ibpdu). These commands do not work in RPN mode, also do not work in Textbook/Algebraic modes. May be there is some way to do this, but I did not know how.
12-07-2017, 02:08 AM
(08-14-2017 07:02 PM)ji3m Wrote:  

The RPL emulator doesn't work on my Prime. The « character prints

NULL PROLOG

What's up with that?

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)