41CL self-update via embedded serial port
12-03-2017, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 12:34 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
41CL self-update via embedded serial port
To the 41CL v5 owners and to the other beta/v2/v3/v4 owners as well ...

Monte has put on his web site, the latest version of the CL Update (v1.1.0) Java program that has v5 board support.
As the previous version, this program only works with the 41CL embedded RS-232 serial interface.

Best regards,

Sylvain

clupdate-1.1.0.zip file content
Code:
clupdate-1.1.0.jar
clupdate-1.1.0-release-notes.txt
clupdate-1.1.0-readme.txt

clupdate release notes

clupdate v1.1.0
Code:
- official release date 2017-12-02
- most commands upgraded to support v5 board (--manual, --list, --validate, --diff, --update)
- list and validate reports have been redesigned
- 41CL:CDBEXP outdated ROM report has been redesigned
- 41CL:CDBIMP and 41CL:CDBEXP requests now show estimated scan/update time
- commands are now more resilient to invalid or incomplete distribution files (rom_files_yymmdd.zip)

clupdate v1.0.0
Code:
- official release date 2017-09-03
- embedded help included through "--help" command
- embedded short manual included through "--manual" command
- list content of a distribution file (rom_files_yymmdd.zip) or folder through "--list" command
- validate content of a distribution file (rom_files_yymmdd.zip) or folder through "--validate" command
- show difference between distribution files or folders through "--diff" command
- update beta, v2, v3 & v4 boards through "--update" command (to be used with YUPS functions)
- send a ROM image file through "--upload" command (to be used with 41CL: YIMP)
- receive a ROM image file through "--download" command (to be used with 41CL: YEXP)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2017, 03:14 AM
RE: 41CL self-update via embedded serial port
(12-03-2017 02:52 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  To the 41CL v5 owners and to the other beta/v2/v3/v4 owners as well ...

Monte has put on his web site, the latest version of the CL Update (v1.1.0) Java program that has v5 board support.
As the previous version, this program only works with the 41CL embedded RS-232 serial interface.

The new version 1.1.0 of clupdate server worked great with my V5 41CL. Everything went as expected, I installed the latest 171202 updates with no issues. And the new feature of reporting the estimated time to complete the update was dead on.

Great work, thanks as usual.

--Bob Prosperi
12-04-2017, 04:31 AM
Impressive! Thanks for this Sylvain!

Cheers

Peter

Cheers,

PeterP
12-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Please provide some hints for the utterly dense, like me.

The directions refer to a file UPDAT-3B.ROM. I have UPDAT-2B.ROM left over from last time. Where do I get UPDAT-3B.ROM?

Also, where do I look to get the files and the directions for installing YUPS?

Thanks. Sorry for being such a dummy on this.

smp
12-05-2017, 05:02 PM
(12-05-2017 04:38 PM)smp Wrote:  The directions refer to a file UPDAT-3B.ROM. I have UPDAT-2B.ROM left over from last time. Where do I get UPDAT-3B.ROM?

Also, where do I look to get the files and the directions for installing YUPS?

All CL-specific ROMs (from Monte) are on the Software page on Monte's website:

http://www.systemyde.com/hp41/software.html

UPDAT-3B.ROM is the 6th one down. But it's also included in the newest ROM sets (see below).

YUPS is the UPDAT-3B ROM file; this is just the internal 4-char name for it. Once installed in flash (the 2B version is installed in yours) you install it just like any other ROM, using one of the various forms of the PLUG command.

I think you can do an update with the clupdate server software using the latest ROM set (171202, which would also include UPDAT-3B) and your current UPDAT-2B. But I'd wait for Monte or Sylvain to confirm for sure...

--Bob Prosperi
12-05-2017, 07:10 PM
I am currently at work and will be at home late evening. (GMT-5)
I will check if you can use UPDAT-2B.ROM directly then, but IMHO I do not see any issue over it, but let me check first just to be sure.
In case of doubt, I will downgrade one of my board and test the upgrade. What board version do you have ?
Sylvain
12-05-2017, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 07:56 PM by smp.)
Hi folks, and thank you for all your attention.

I'm getting quite frustrated with this update, it's not going well for me.

I have downloaded the UPDAT-3B.ROM file.

I am following the clupdate-1.1.0-readme.txt file. All of the preliminary Java commands on my Mac work just fine for listing things and comparing two ROMs and all. Then I get to the real stuff, and things go awry.

I start from a MEMORY LOST state. I then go to the section on loading the UDPAT-3B.ROM file into my CL.

MMUDIS -> works
MMUCLR -> works
"YFNX" -> works
PLUG1L -> works
MMUEN -> works
SERINI -> works
BAUD48 -> CL reports NONEXISTENT

Obviously, I am doing something completely wrong here. Why should this be happening with such a simple set of commands?

smp
12-05-2017, 07:55 PM
I just tried again, very carefully typing everything without any typing errors.

I believe I've found my errors.

BAUD48 -> CL reports NONEXISTENT

BAUD and then 48 -> works

TURBO and then 50 -> works

Looks like i am incredibly dense and need to be much more careful using commands that I rarely use.

Sorry for the hassle...

smp
12-05-2017, 09:19 PM
(12-05-2017 07:55 PM)smp Wrote:  BAUD48 -> CL reports NONEXISTENT

This has never happened to me. Ever. Not even each time I go back and use these rare commands...

--Bob Prosperi
12-05-2017, 10:09 PM
I can report success!

Thanks very much, Rob and Sylvain for attempting to assist me. I very much suspect my relatively poor eyesight and fumble fingers probably contributed to mixing up some letters, such as 'Q' and 'O', during my typing, especially as my frustration rose. Then the issue with BAUD and TURBO, if it is even an issue, I don't know.

At any rate, I am again successfully updated. Thank you so much to Sylvain and Monte.

At the end of the update, as the calculator reported the update was finished, I did the CDBEXP and saw in the report that I still have one outdated file: YFNZ. I did another FLUPD, but the calculator came right back and reported the update was complete again. I finished the cleanup activities and then re-initialized my MMU.

Here's hoping my notes are good enough this time, so when we do this again in another 6 months, I won't have to whine and cry for help again. 8-)

smp
12-05-2017, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 11:36 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(12-05-2017 09:19 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 07:55 PM)smp Wrote:  BAUD48 -> CL reports NONEXISTENT

This has never happened to me. Ever. Not even each time I go back and use these rare commands...

FYI

YFNZ 41CL Extra functions: (default module when MMU is disabled)
Code:
PLUG1, PLUG2, PLUG3, PLUG4, PLUG1L, PLUG2L, PLUG3L, PLUG4L, PLUG1U, PLUG2U, PLUG3U, PLUG4U, PLUGP, PLUGH, 
UPLUG1, UPLUG2, UPLUG3, UPLUG4, UPLUG1L, UPLUG2L, UPLUG3L, UPLUG4L, UPLUG1U, UPLUG2U, UPLUG3U, UPLUG4U, UPLUGP, UPLUGH
are replaced by the YFNX 41CL Extreme functions: (module used in the procedure when MMU is enabled)
Code:
PLUG (interactive) and PPLUG (using value in ALPHA register and optionally value in X register)

Code:
BAUD12, BAUD24, BAUD48, BAUD96
are replaced by the YFNX 41CL Extreme functions: (module used in the procedure when MMU is enabled)
Code:
BAUD (interactive) and PBAUD (using value in X register)

Code:
TURBOX, TURBO2, TURBO5, TURBO10, TURBO20, TURBO50
Code:
TURBO (interactive) and PTURBO (using value in X register)
12-05-2017, 11:36 PM
(12-05-2017 10:09 PM)smp Wrote:  At the end of the update, as the calculator reported the update was finished, I did the CDBEXP and saw in the report that I still have one outdated file: YFNZ. I did another FLUPD, but the calculator came right back and reported the update was complete again. I finished the cleanup activities and then re-initialized my MMU.

YFNZ is one of the OS ROMs, so is protected from erasing unless you specifically allow it to do so. In the UPDATE ROM manual, see the commands OSPROT and OSUPDT on p. 37. Basically, you just need to enable OS updates via OSUPDAT, do the update again (for YFNZ), then use OSPROT to restore the protection.

Of course, also make sure you do not have YFNZ enabled when doing so.

--Bob Prosperi
12-05-2017, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 12:03 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
(12-05-2017 10:09 PM)smp Wrote:  I can report success!
Great! Smile

(12-05-2017 10:09 PM)smp Wrote:  Thank you so much to Sylvain and Monte.
Your are welcome and thank you for using it.
Our goal was to have a simple and easy way to upgrade the 41CL board Flash so that users will be able to do it by themselves.

(12-05-2017 10:09 PM)smp Wrote:  Here's hoping my notes are good enough this time, so when we do this again in another 6 months, I won't have to whine and cry for help again. 8-)
If you do not understand something on how to use the application, you can come whine here anytime. Wink

After reading the manual as Robert suggesting, you can read the initial update thread and the questions/answers about the OSUPDT/OSPROT functions.

Sylvain

edit: typo and a missing answer that got lost in the post
01-01-2018, 06:29 PM
(01-01-2018 03:36 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Sylvain,

Could you supply the source code for the UPDATE module?

try here: http://systemyde.com/hp41/updat-3b.zip
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)