ILPER and DOSLINK
04-12-2024, 06:45 PM
ILPER and DOSLINK
How do I create "virdual" media that ILPER/DOSLINK can use.

In other words, how do I copy files from a Windows directory into an ILPER/DOSLINK virtual drive?

Additionally do I need to convert the .ROM files from Systemyide to different format for use by the AMC OS/X+ ROM's READPG command?

Thanks in advance....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2024, 07:58 PM
RE: ILPER and DOSLINK
From the file ILPerAdd.htm that comes in the ILPer .zip distribution:

"The DOSLINK device

DOSLINK is a HP-IL device allowing import and export data to the PC file system. It base on the source code of the DOSLINK interface inside Emu41 published by Jean-François Garnier. So it's completely compatible and operate in the same way like the DOSLINK interface provided by Emu41, Emu71/DOS and ILDoslink.
Interface ID's

AID = 78
ID = "DOSLINK"
default address after AAU = 29

Operations

Data sent to DOSLINK is attached to the given "Out" file. Data received from DOSLINK is read from the given "In" file. Both operations transfer the data as binary files, so it's possible to read/write binary data. To write a text file, use the PRINT instructions and the CR/LF line terminator (see ENDLINE keyword) instead.

By pressing the "C" button or with the HP-IL commands CLEAR :LOOP or CLEAR :DOSLINK you close the output file and rewind the read position of the input file to the beginning. At next write access the data in the "Out" file is overwritten. When changing a file name over the "Out" or "In" button, the corresponding old file is closed before. Be aware, copying or any other external modification of the "Out" or "In" file is not possible without closing the corresponding file. "

Files copied this way need to be 'wrapped' with a LIF header, which is easily done with the attached alifhdr utility. Note that this is intended for use with 71B files (e.g. to import a text BASIC source file) but it probably also works with 41 .rom files.

Note also that there are 2 different primary formats used for .rom files, so you need to be sure your source file and what the x-fer utility is expecting are the same. I believe Joachim Siebold's lifutils tool suite includes tools to convert among the formats.

Attached File(s)
.zip  alifhdr32-V1.2.zip (Size: 28.73 KB / Downloads: 1)

--Bob Prosperi
04-12-2024, 08:26 PM
Bob,

If I understand this correctly DOSLINK allows you to take a single file and transfer it across the PIL-BOX link.

How can I create a virtual media like the ILPER HDRIVE1 or HP9114B uses?

Can I copy from the doslink drive to the virtual meida on HDRIVE1? Copying one file at a time? How would I do this?

Which of the two .ROM filetypes are provided in the rom_files_240305.zip file from systemyide?

Unfortunately, my NoV-64D is stuck in customs in Miami (since April 6th).

What I would like to do is create a virtual media with all of the images I plan on loading with the AMC OS/X READPG command. This command is almost entirely in library #4 so it is compatible with the HEPAX READROM function. Then I can test and modify without having to continually change the DOSLINK input file.

Please forgive me for all of my stupid questions. It is difficult to find all of this documentation in one place. Also, as Sylvain pointed out to me, some of the documentation is out of date compared to how the programs actually work.

Thank you,

Mike
04-12-2024, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2024 09:19 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(04-12-2024 08:26 PM)BitWiz Wrote:  How can I create a virtual media like the ILPER HDRIVE1 or HP9114B uses?
From a previous thread that you have created HP-16C emulator module for HP-41CX

(04-12-2024 08:26 PM)BitWiz Wrote:  Which of the two .ROM filetypes are provided in the rom_files_240305.zip file from systemyide?
Monte's rom_files_YYMMDD.zip image files are in 16-bit padded ROM file format. [.rom]
ROM image file formats are described in my Diego Díaz Clonix & NoV Modules HHC/HPCC 2020 presentation

(04-12-2024 08:26 PM)BitWiz Wrote:  What I would like to do is create a virtual media with all of the images I plan on loading with the AMC OS/X READPG command.
This command is almost entirely in library #4 so it is compatible with the HEPAX READROM function.
Covered in HP-16C emulator module for HP-41CX
AMC OS/X READPG is probably using the ERAMCO ROM file format [.er] and not the HEPAX ROM file format. [.hx]

LIF Utilities Commands

Sylvain Côté
04-13-2024, 12:24 AM
(04-12-2024 09:14 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(04-12-2024 08:26 PM)BitWiz Wrote:  How can I create a virtual media like the ILPER HDRIVE1 or HP9114B uses?
From a previous thread that you have created HP-16C emulator module for HP-41CX

(04-12-2024 08:26 PM)BitWiz Wrote:  Which of the two .ROM filetypes are provided in the rom_files_240305.zip file from systemyide?
Monte's rom_files_YYMMDD.zip image files are in 16-bit padded ROM file format. [.rom]
ROM image file formats are described in my Diego Díaz Clonix & NoV Modules HHC/HPCC 2020 presentation

(04-12-2024 08:26 PM)BitWiz Wrote:  What I would like to do is create a virtual media with all of the images I plan on loading with the AMC OS/X READPG command.
This command is almost entirely in library #4 so it is compatible with the HEPAX READROM function.
Covered in HP-16C emulator module for HP-41CX
AMC OS/X READPG is probably using the ERAMCO ROM file format [.er] and not the HEPAX ROM file format. [.hx]

LIF Utilities Commands
Sylvain,

Thank you for your patience.

I found those instructions, thank you again.

Everything is getting sooo close, now if only US Customs in Miami release the package. They have had it since April 6th. I don't understand how the system works. I have the MultiMedia Unit for my Prusa MK4 3D Printer coming from The Czech Republic, it shipped Thursday (April 11) and it will be here Monday (April 15). Maybe that's the difference between the USPS and DHL.

The READPG in the AMC OS/X ROM uses library 4 functionality to perform this function and is HEPAX compatible as per the AMC OS/X Manual "Note that the file formats on disk will be compatible with the HEPAX functions that perform the same tasks, but not so with equivalent functions from the ML ROM, Eramco MLDL or other EPROMS from the Dutch PPC Chapters. There are thus two “standards” that cannot be intermixed."

Thank you again.
04-13-2024, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2024 02:14 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
(04-13-2024 12:24 AM)BitWiz Wrote:  Thank you for your patience.
My pleasure.

(04-13-2024 12:24 AM)BitWiz Wrote:  The READPG in the AMC OS/X ROM uses library 4 functionality to perform this function and is HEPAX compatible as per the AMC OS/X Manual "Note that the file formats on disk will be compatible with the HEPAX functions that perform the same tasks, but not so with equivalent functions from the ML ROM, Eramco MLDL or other EPROMS from the Dutch PPC Chapters. There are thus two “standards” that cannot be intermixed."
I stand corrected, HEPAX ROM file format it is. (.hx) Smile

Sylvain Côté
04-13-2024, 08:20 PM
Sylvain,

As usual, your instructions were perfect and your help always valuable.

I have everything ready for my NoV-64D board. It is finally out of customs and on it's way from Miami to Chicago. Maybe by Wednesday or Thursday it will get here.

I still need to change the XROM numbers to avoid conflicts.

Thanks again for everything,

Mike

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)