Change name for →Qπ - please suggest!
11-17-2017, 04:50 PM
RE: Change name for →Qπ - please suggest!
How about "nice()"?

Nigel (UK)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Anyone using exact would prefer to use QPI, as it's better functionality. Besides, you could give it an argument to keep the original functionality....or direct what to use (LN, SQRT, fraction, etc....maybe as a bitmap of flags).
I recommend in Home mode, using QPI, but calling it EXACT and in CAS mode using qpif, calling it exact (look at the original QPI thread).
11-17-2017, 10:10 PM
My high school students suggested some names. Here are the inoffensive ones. Wink

WHATIS
WHOAMI
RECOGNIZE
IDENTIFY

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2017, 10:28 PM
If it looks like EXACT, but is not really, but beyond, why not:
XEXACT
or
X_EXACT

for eXtended EXACT?
11-17-2017, 10:35 PM
(11-17-2017 10:10 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  My high school students suggested some names. Here are the inoffensive ones. Wink

WHATIS
WHOAMI
RECOGNIZE
IDENTIFY

I don't think these are appropriate, please send the offensive ones. Smile
11-17-2017, 10:39 PM
(11-17-2017 10:35 PM)DrD Wrote:  
(11-17-2017 10:10 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  My high school students suggested some names. Here are the inoffensive ones. Wink

WHATIS
WHOAMI
RECOGNIZE
IDENTIFY

APROPOS
UNAME
No, those are not offensive, is it? Smile

∫aL√0mic (IT9CLU) :: HP Prime 50g 41CX 71b 42s 39s 35s 12C 15C - DM42, DM41X - WP34s Prime Soft. Lib
11-17-2017, 11:11 PM
what about these ones :

PRETTY
PRETTYPRINT
OPTIMIZE
STDFORM
REWRITE
EASYPRINT
SIMPLEFORM

primer
11-17-2017, 11:41 PM
(11-17-2017 02:31 AM)Han Wrote:  QFORM

I do not have a better proposal than this one.

Regards.
11-18-2017, 12:41 AM
Code:
n/m
11-18-2017, 01:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2017 02:12 AM by compsystems.)
(11-17-2017 11:11 PM)primer Wrote:  what about these ones :

PRETTY
PRETTYPRINT

it is not feasible for now, because the print() command , still does not print in prettyprint (2D), only linearly 1D

print(prettyprint(−0.69314718056) returns ln(1/2) linearly =(

print(prettyprint(2.35619449019) returns 3/4*pi linearly =(

output pi
[Image: wp6ioyn.gif]

output root
[Image: o8teUQN.gif]

output ln
[Image: 4Grab77.gif]

output e
[Image: bNNYFZ2.gif]

THE BEST NAME QPIRLN
11-18-2017, 06:04 AM
(11-17-2017 10:35 PM)DrD Wrote:  

The only offensive one which was also reasonable was WTH (What The Heck). Imagine it: A student gets some bizarre result, and looks at it in bewilderment and says "WTH is this?" and then presses the WTH key to find out, and the Prime tells the student WTH the result was. Perfectly natural, and reasonable, but outrageously inappropriate... at least the way the student spelled it, which wasn't "WTH". Dodgy

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
11-18-2017, 09:39 AM
TransNum()... Transform a number.
NumRw().. Number rewrite.
AltAprox()... Alternate approximation
11-18-2017, 10:33 AM
(11-18-2017 06:04 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(11-17-2017 10:35 PM)DrD Wrote:  I don't think these are appropriate, please send the offensive ones. Smile

The only offensive one which was also reasonable was WTH (What The Heck). Imagine it: A student gets some bizarre result, and looks at it in bewilderment and says "WTH is this?" and then presses the WTH key to find out, and the Prime tells the student WTH the result was. Perfectly natural, and reasonable, but outrageously inappropriate... at least the way the student spelled it, which wasn't "WTH". Dodgy

I like that explanation, but I fear no one would remember What The Heck WTH stood for.
They would remember What's The Fraction, even though it can do much more than than just fractions.
Perhaps WHAT IS would be less awkward.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
11-18-2017, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2017 10:49 AM by DrD.)
And we could use LOL() as a drop in replacement for the simplify() command.

Oh, and an OMG() command would have worked fine for [Help], but help is getting better, so [FYI] might be better. It could be very funny creating programs using some of these things!
11-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Since exact does the same thing in some circumstances, I think it should be exact, but I was playing around with both the exact and the QPI command, and I found differences depending on how many digits you go with in the floating point input. So, there should be an option specifying the number of decimal places.
So, in HOME we should specify EXACT(float,digits,flags), where float is the input, digits is the number of places to the right of the decimal point and flags should give it some clues directing the function....like bit 0 might be fraction, bit 1 ln, bit 2 nth root...maybe even allow combinations.
EXACT(float) and exact(float) should be the same as they are now, and exact(float,digits,flags) should be like qpif and is a CAS command.

...just a suggestion.
11-18-2017, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2017 07:20 PM by Fortin.)
I think we (myself included) are overthinking the naming of this feature. We set the entry mode to "Textbook" for a 2D display, we set "Textbook" in Home settings for the history display. Couldn't it follow to also set the representation of the floating point (numeric) output to "Textbook" as well?

I can imagine a student wanting the floating point number to match the nice result in the textbook. So...

Would calling TEXTBOOK() on a floating point be too abstract an idea? If it isn't, the name could allow for future expansion of the capabilities without becoming misunderstood.

(I also like the simplicity of EXACT() )
11-27-2017, 04:16 PM
IDENTIFY() works for me. It is a means for identifying a numerical value in more easily-recognized algebraic form. In fact, a few online number recognition sites use identify as their command name. Perhaps ID() for short

ALGEBRAIC() would also work for me. Or ALG() for short

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
11-28-2017, 04:19 AM
(11-18-2017 06:04 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(11-17-2017 10:35 PM)DrD Wrote:  I don't think these are appropriate, please send the offensive ones. Smile

I like the WTH name.
11-28-2017, 04:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2017 05:26 AM by chromos.)
Three pages of suggestions. Thank God Tim didn't ask for more than one function to rename. :-)

Prime, 15C CE
11-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Hello !

I don't think it's a good idea to have "rat" in the name, fractions containing Pi or sqrt are not rational numbers.

QPI seems good...

Reto

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)