Any hope for that derelict HP-25?
11-12-2017, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2017 05:47 PM by Benoit Maag.)
Any hope for that derelict HP-25?
Just bought on e-bay an as-is HP-25 with the intention to upgrade it with a Panamatik LP

Unfortunately, the machine was in a much worse condition that I expected (see slide 1)
After an hour with vinegar, Q-tips and an old toothbrush, I could get to a slightly cleaner board (slide 2), but there is still some blue corrosion I cannot reach, and some lines on the keyboard PCB are damaged and cut-off

Is there any hope to get it back to life?
Is it realistic to fix the broken PCB lines with conductive paint (like Bare Paint)?
Should all blue corrosion be removed? Any suggestion as to how to do that?
I damaged one of the feet - what is a good replacement? (eraser cut to size, caulk...)

Please help - Thank you

Attached File(s)
.pptx  HP-25 Repair v2 - compressed.pptx (Size: 244.04 KB / Downloads: 74)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2017, 11:10 PM
RE: Any hope for that derelict HP-25?
(11-12-2017 05:46 PM)Benoit Maag Wrote:  Just bought on e-bay an as-is HP-25 with the intention to upgrade it with a Panamatik LP

Unfortunately, the machine was in a much worse condition that I expected (see slide 1)
After an hour with vinegar, Q-tips and an old toothbrush, I could get to a slightly cleaner board (slide 2), but there is still some blue corrosion I cannot reach, and some lines on the keyboard PCB are damaged and cut-off

Is there any hope to get it back to life?
Is it realistic to fix the broken PCB lines with conductive paint (like Bare Paint)?
Should all blue corrosion be removed? Any suggestion as to how to do that?
I damaged one of the feet - what is a good replacement? (eraser cut to size, caulk...)

Please help - Thank you

I fix electronic equipment all the time however I'm not in the business (or pastime) of restoring... I'm making the distinction because the approaches can be quite different. If that were my calculator I would remove all the corrosion as possible (I still see a lot), many times I use rubbing alcohol (+90%) and a toothbrush. Sometimes I use solvents but those are more aggressive... in any case, make sure that the plastic exterior parts don't get in contact with any alcohol or solvent of any type... make sure it stays in the PCB. You might need to do some scratching as well, I use a very small flat screwdriver for that (go easy to minimize collateral damage). To connect traces I just use wire-wrap (solid wire, 30 AWG if I remember well) and solder it in a clean part of the trace (before and after the cut), this part requires some skills, I use the soldering iron since I was a kid so it's kind of natural for me to chose this option.

My biggest concern would be the keyboard contacts, have you checked that part? I would evaluate that before starting if possible... you may use a DMM before breaking the rivets

My 2 cents... good luck with your project.
11-13-2017, 03:53 AM
Dear acapde,

Thank you for the tips - really appreciate
I have not checked the keyboard contacts - good point - they do not look great...
11-13-2017, 04:35 AM
Indeed, the keyboard is bad - some keys do not even click right
You mention about rivets -do you mean the small plastic dots? Do I need to break all of them to access the back of the keyboard PCB and the keys?
11-13-2017, 05:08 AM
Those dots are the fabled Heat Stakes. Some one posted that he took the (long) time to shave them down to the size of the holes they go through and pried the board off past them. He said he was able to re-melt them and there was enough material to re-attach the board one time. I'm guessing he is gentle with his key-strokes.
11-13-2017, 01:42 PM
(11-12-2017 05:46 PM)Benoit Maag Wrote:  Just bought on e-bay an as-is HP-25 with the intention to upgrade it with a Panamatik LP

Perfectly suitable for the LP. The broken keyboard lines can be repaired with small copper wires. The corrosion of the main board doesn't matter at all. But if the display is corroded internally you need a replacement.

Good luck
Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
11-15-2017, 06:29 AM
Den,
I do not think I will have the patience - so I will probably slice the post tops with a thin razor blade, clean-up the keys if I can and find a way to glue back the keyboard to its PCB

Bernhard,
Great news - can’t wait for the LP to become available - do you have a pre-order list?
11-15-2017, 06:43 AM
Den,
I do not think I will have the patience - so I will probably slice the post tops with a thin razor blade, clean-up the keys if I can and find a way to glue back the keyboard to its PCB

Bernhard,
Great news - can’t wait for the LP to become available - do you have a pre-order list?
11-15-2017, 07:33 AM
(11-15-2017 07:04 AM)Benoit Maag Wrote:  Bernhard,

There is no pre-order list. Nevertheless I will check all posts here. Please order by email (see thread "Woodstock Low Power") Thanks.

see also my keyboard fix at this thread:
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5936-page-2.html

Bernhard

11-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Bernhard,

Just to confirm: do you need to cut all the post tops to separate the keyboard from its PCB, or just the ones that should show with a green arrow?
11-15-2017, 11:11 PM
(11-15-2017 08:18 PM)Benoit Maag Wrote:  Bernhard,

Just to confirm: do you need to cut all the post tops to separate the keyboard from its PCB, or just the ones that should show with a green arrow?

To separate the keyboard from the PCB you have to cut all tops. I recommend to fix all of them with glue. I observed that the middle keys had a soft feeling after some time, therefore I added glue to all of them (also the not green marked) at a later time. This fixed the keyboard and key feeling durable. Be also careful not to glue them too tight together. I had another case were the two slider switches moved a little bit hard after fixing. A small amount of silicon grease at the slider contacts can be used.

Bernhard

11-23-2017, 06:08 AM
I separated the keyboard from its PCB. While cleaning the keyboard, I broke one of the small metal key frames (see picture). What is the best strategy to fix this?

Thank you

Attached File(s)
.pptx  hp-25 keyboard - compressed.pptx (Size: 177.68 KB / Downloads: 21)
11-23-2017, 07:52 AM
(11-23-2017 06:08 AM)Benoit Maag Wrote:  I separated the keyboard from its PCB. While cleaning the keyboard, I broke one of the small metal key frames (see picture). What is the best strategy to fix this?

Thank you

As long as the electrical contact is still there, I don't see a need (and possibility) to fix it. But I have no experience, whether this could influence the tactile response, but I don't think so.

Bernhard

11-23-2017, 08:00 AM
(11-23-2017 06:08 AM)Benoit Maag Wrote:  I separated the keyboard from its PCB. While cleaning the keyboard, I broke one of the small metal key frames (see picture). What is the best strategy to fix this?

Thank you

If you wanted to, a small dab of Araldite or similar glue should do it, right on the point where it broke.

Make sure none gets under the raised contact.

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)