hp20s simulator or similar
03-19-2014, 11:40 PM
hp20s simulator or similar
hello
does anyone know of an hp20s simulator for mac, an app for the 20s on an ipad or iphone, or a calculator with similar keys? i run a land surveying program. the 20s is a little thin and thus problematic, never mind discontinued.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2014, 10:07 AM
RE: hp20s simulator or similar
HP 39gs calculator is an algebraic calculator in a more heavy-duty package. It's not real expensive and might be worth a try. I have no experience with it but after taking a quick look around at what the 20S is it appears somewhat similar.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
03-20-2014, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 02:02 PM by Ron Ross.)
As Hp67 stated, an Hp39Gs may be your best option, especially when you mention/clarify your needs by stating the Hp20s is thin. Thin physically? or metaphorically ie wimpy in functions? Keep in mind all graphing calculators are EOS, which an Hp 20s user might not want.

The Hp 20s is AOS; Algebraic Operating System. EOS is Equation Operating System or other acronyms, but basically you see the equation as it is typed and no mixing postfix with prefix ie trig functions as in AOS. EOS is more textbook like than AOS.

Sadly Hp discontinued this fine basic pocket calculator and they are getting difficult to find or replace. My own suggestions will be for a pocket scientific as I don't really care for graphing calculators, especially in the field or traveling.

The Ti-36 pro is an excellent alternative and is readily available and inexpensive. The Ti-30 Multiview is another excellent choice. Both are EOS, however Ti still offers the lower end Ti-30xa for about $10. If you find an older Ti-36 model, (will have a segmented, defined LCD display) they are also AOS like your Hp 20s.

For about the cost or often less you might consider the Hp 33s. In Algebraic mode (which is AOS) it is actually a step up in many features while still being very similar to the Hp 20s while also providing much more RAM and a more features. It isn't a pretty calculator, but I have used it and was surprised that I liked it. I would NOT suggest the Hp 35s for a replacement as it is an EOS calculator in algebraic mode without an equals key in the conventional location of the lower right corner. A serious design flaw for selling to the Algebraic user.
03-20-2014, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 02:36 PM by HP67.)
There's a nice writeup on the 33S that Ron suggested here:

http://www.hpcc.org/datafile/V23N3/33S.pdf

I'm with Ron in not having much use for graphing calculators but I find their larger screens help me immensely in at least two areas. You see more of the stack on long calculations and writing programs is so much easier when you can see a few lines of code at a time.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)