Old (new) HP 12C Platinum 2005/6 ON button issue
10-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Old (new) HP 12C Platinum 2005/6 ON button issue
Hello,

I recently acquired an HP 12C Platinum. I believe it was manufactured in 2005/6, however I acquired it new and unopened in its packaging. The calculator seems to be working fine except for one small issue. Sometimes the ON key doesn't work first time. It works if I consciously press it firmly but occasionally when I press it with light to normal pressure (even though it clicks) it doesn't turn the calculator on first time (and sometimes doesn't turn it on a second time either). I have run a self-test and everything appears to be normal. I have not noticed the issue when turning the calculator off so could it be a powering up issue(?). Its not a major issue but it's a bit of an annoyance more than anything.

Do you think the issue could be related to the fact that the battery is old? Because the calculator was made in 2005/6 and hasn't been used until now I assume that the factory installed battery has been there for 11-12 years although the low battery indicator does not show when the calculator is on. When I do change the battery would it be advisable to leave the calculator without a battery for 24 hours? Could static charge be an issue?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sam
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2017, 07:20 PM
RE: Old (new) HP 12C Platinum 2005/6 ON button issue
I would replace the batteries.

If all else fails since you purchased it new and in the package, would it be eligible for warranty coverage?
10-27-2017, 08:35 PM
(10-27-2017 07:20 PM)Dwight Sturrock Wrote:  I would replace the batteries.

If all else fails since you purchased it new and in the package, would it be eligible for warranty coverage?

I agree, replace the 10+ year-old battery before any other testing or conclusions.

The warranty only applies to the original owner; in this case that would likely be whoever sold it (or whoever sold it to that person, etc.), as no authorized dealer would still have 10+ year-old stock.

--Bob Prosperi
11-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Thanks for these replies. I changed the battery and the ON button still works only intermittently. Is it worth leaving the battery out overnight as a next attempt at a fix or is this most likely a mechanical/hardware issue? If that's the case then I'll just live with it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)