HP Prime or HP 50g
01-16-2019, 12:41 AM
RE: HP Prime or HP 50g
Great discussion.

It's very good to see people talking on the most sincere way. This is the voice of the user and it can help a lot on the product development.

By the other side, I must thank the HP team, represented by Tim and Cyrille, for giving their explanations in their most transparent way. This is very useful for us, users, to understand how difficult it is to deliver such an amazing product in such a demanding market.

In my opinion, developers' life is getting harder and harder lately. The nowadays demand goes beyond an outstanding product. Users (consumers) look for frequent improvements, ease of use, interactivity and so on. Besides, it is hard to define the target in terms of customer's satisfaction in matters like user's manual when most users don't even read them. I guess this is the challenge: to survive in a new world where expectations are not clear and change every day.

As user, I've been watching the tech products development in general stepping on mud trying to catch up rumors, competition and users who seek for improvement and the safety of stability at the same time.

Given all this discussion I have to congratulate Tim, Cyrille and all the involved team for the great job they do and, not least, for their peace of mind when explaining us virtually everything we ask.

I keep believing in HP and its products.

Thank you all for this discussion. I've been learning a lot with it.

Regards, Ciro.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2019, 01:38 AM
Hi!, all :
I have many calculator's as … HP67/HP41CV (complete), HP28C/HP75C/HP48G+/HP49G/HP50G and the best of all, the HP PRIME.
However, for work in SysRPL and MASM, IMHO, is the best, the HP50G.
I'm Retired Oil And Gas Engineer, with total know of survey, material's, Industrial Security (STOP), ANSI, ASME, IEEE, IEC, ASTM, OSHA, API, etc …
I create many year ago, much libraries for Engineering Calculus and edited in … https://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=caporalini
01-16-2019, 01:50 PM
(01-16-2019 01:38 AM)informach Wrote:  Hi!, all :
I have many calculator's as … HP67/HP41CV (complete), HP28C/HP75C/HP48G+/HP49G/HP50G and the best of all, the HP PRIME.
However, for work in SysRPL and MASM, IMHO, is the best, the HP50G.
I'm Retired Oil And Gas Engineer, with total know of survey, material's, Industrial Security (STOP), ANSI, ASME, IEEE, IEC, ASTM, OSHA, API, etc …
I create many year ago, much libraries for Engineering Calculus and edited in … https://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=caporalini

Hello Miguel Angel

Congratulations for your library and your career.

I've been through a "quantum leap", moving from HP-41cx toward HP Prime. I haven't used HP 50 and PRL.

I've learned Pascal, Fortran an C++ in university during the 80s and have programmed microcontrollers and PLCs during a long time since then.

Personally, I feel HP PPL very familiar due to its similarity to Pascal and C. I've been able to finish my first program in HP Prime at the same week I bought it. Now, with not much effort, I've written my first App.

Then, I'd suggest you to insist a bit more in order to get more used to HP PPL. I'm positive to say you'll enjoy it.

Best regards,
Ciro.
01-17-2019, 12:22 AM
(01-16-2019 01:50 PM)Ciro Bruno Wrote:  I've been through a "quantum leap", moving from HP-41cx toward HP Prime. I haven't used HP 50 and PRL.

Trust me, now that you have a Prime you probably don't want to use a 50g. Once you use a 50g, it's hard to use anything else. I started off with a 28S back in 1989 and progressed to a 48GX, 50g and then purchased a couple Primes last summer for my kids' educational needs. Nothing beats the Prime for graphing speed or beauty and its CAS is great. But for all else, I still like the 50g. I use the 48GX (128k FRAM card with Meta Kernel) at the office.
01-17-2019, 01:04 AM
(01-17-2019 12:22 AM)JDW Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 01:50 PM)Ciro Bruno Wrote:  I've been through a "quantum leap", moving from HP-41cx toward HP Prime. I haven't used HP 50 and PRL.

Trust me, now that you have a Prime you probably don't want to use a 50g. Once you use a 50g, it's hard to use anything else. I started off with a 28S back in 1989 and progressed to a 48GX, 50g and then purchased a couple Primes last summer for my kids' educational needs. Nothing beats the Prime for graphing speed or beauty and its CAS is great. But for all else, I still like the 50g. I use the 48GX (128k FRAM card with Meta Kernel) at the office.

I believe you. During the first two days with Prime, I've been doing all arithmetics in RPN mode. But I've been soon convinced that it would never pay back that way...

I'm sure I'm not able to discuss about RPL. But I'm pretty sure HP PPL is powerfull enough to take advantage of all resources available in HP Prime. That's why I bet on trying to get used to it. That's a matter of evolution. We invest some time on practicing and then move forward.

Best regards,
Ciro.
01-17-2019, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2019 02:13 AM by informach.)
Hi !, Ciro_Bruno:
He also receives congratulations from me. I have seen the PLCs in the oil fields, but programmed in binary. The HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR calculator is actually an microcomputer of 5a. generation and it is certain that it was conceived basically following the very well applied instructions of the Pascal Language. I believe that soon, the creators of the hardware and software of the same, will launch the instructions for a real programming, counting for now, with the help of Tim, Cyrille, Eddie Shore and others. I send you a great greeting and go ahead with HP, who is in world space (by NASA), circulating the Earth, with the Zbook and HP printers to work without gravity.
Kind Regards.
informach.
Note : I'm Provost, as ID Maké, in HP Spanish Forum, Since March 3, 2015 and Distinguished Professor Since February 17, 2015. in HP English Forum and too, in HP Calculators Forum.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)