What to do with my Collection?
11-09-2017, 06:03 AM
RE: What to do with my Collection?
(11-09-2017 03:52 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 02:45 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Pics 3 and 4 are labeled "CMT EPROM Programmer", but it doesn't look like one I've seen before. It's pictured with a CMT MC-II which does accept a Pod. Could it be the Pod?
Dave,
If I remember correctly, it is the EPROM programmer for the CMT MC-II EPROM modules.
As you have assumed, it connect to the port extension in the back of the MC-II.
I used one in the 80's to burn my MC-II C applications on EPROM's.
I do not remember if a software was needed to do the burning thought.
Sylvain

I agree with Sylvain
The contacts do not correspond with either HP-41, 71 or 75 modules. The size of the programmer also seems to be clother to the CMT MC-II.
There are two contacson two different positions. This only makes sence if the programmer is pluged onto the MC-II maschine..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Matthias,

I looked for one in your collection for reference, but didn't find one. Will you, perhaps, be adding one in the near future? Smile

Dave
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2017, 10:18 PM
(11-09-2017 07:46 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Matthias,

I looked for one in your collection for reference, but didn't find one. Will you, perhaps, be adding one in the near future? Smile

Dave

A CMT MC-II? No, In my collection/database there are only calculators of HP - accessoires excluded.
My money is too limited to also collect other brands, even I have one or two non-HPs ....
11-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Thanks Sylvain! Very cool, can it burn only EPROMs for the MC-II or also for other devices?

Cheers

PeterP

Cheers,

PeterP
11-11-2017, 02:15 PM
(11-10-2017 07:19 PM)PeterP Wrote:  Very cool, can it burn only EPROMs for the MC-II or also for other devices?

It was specific for the MC-II.

FYI, if you open up an EPROM module you will find that it contains an standard EPROM.
Hitachi HC27C101AG-20 (1Mbits or 128Kx8bits, 200ns) [datasheet]
Any standard EPROM programmer can program them.

Emmanuel a French member here (3e0_rtn) has done exactly that.
He has successfully reprogram the module and has posted his pictures on the HP-41 French users group site here
You must be logged in to see the pictures, if you cannot, I am sure if you contact him he can send you the pictures.

Sylvain
11-11-2017, 05:55 PM
(11-11-2017 02:15 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  He has successfully reprogram the module and has posted his pictures on the HP-41 French users group site here

When I opened the webpage, Chrome offered to translate the page, so I clicked the button and was surprised to find that Google does a very good job at translating the website. Anybody know if Google Translate will translate a response to a post?

Dave
11-11-2017, 08:48 PM
(11-11-2017 05:55 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(11-11-2017 02:15 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  He has successfully reprogram the module and has posted his pictures on the HP-41 French users group site here

When I opened the webpage, Chrome offered to translate the page, so I clicked the button and was surprised to find that Google does a very good job at translating the website. Anybody know if Google Translate will translate a response to a post?

Dave

Het lijkt er niet op. Ik heb het zojuist geprobeerd, door de taal van mijn iPhone op Nederlands te zetten, en dan deze pagina in Chrome te openen. Chrome bood aan de pagina in het Nederlands te vertalen, en ik zei ja, en de pagina werd vertaald. Toen klikte ik op Quote om op jouw bericht te antwoorden, en in het tekstvak verscheen jouw bericht in het Engels. Zo te zien vertaalt Chrome de inhoud van tekstvakken niet. Ik probeer nu daadwerkelijk iets te posten, waarvan de eerste helft in het Nederlands en de tweede in het Engels.

It would appear not. I just tried it by setting the language of my iPhone to Dutch, and then opened this page in Chrome. Chrome offered to translate the page to Dutch, and I said yes, and the page was translated. Then I clicked Quote to reply to your post, and in the message composition box, your post was shown in English. It looks like Chrome leaves text editing boxes alone. Now I'll try to actually post something, the first half of which is in Dutch and the second in English.
11-23-2017, 11:02 AM
What to do with my collection and ERAMCO Rambox and HP41 CW anyone?
Hi, wanted to give an update.

Going through the process of enumerating all parts of my collection has indeed stirred a lot of latent passion up again. Yet with the help of a few great people here on the forum I feel that it would be best to pass the collection back into the community where they can be enjoyed and treasured. All items should have a new home come Christmas and New Year.

However, as a shrine of remembrance to the countless hours of fun and friendship I enjoyed over the years with the HP41 in particular, I've decided to create a very small showcase of some of the most special items from the machine which has always been most dear to my heart (sorry Valentin!), the HP 41.

The showcase is envisioned to have the following 4 rows:
  1. HP41
    • HP41 C - With Bugs
    • HP41 CV Fullnut
    • HP41 CX Halfnut
    • HP41 Blanknut
    • HP41 CW
    • HP41 CY
  2. Iconic Modules
    • PPC
    • CCD
    • Zenrom
    • Paname
    • Hepax
  3. Iconic Cardreader Extension
    • Cardreader
    • W&W Rambox
    • HHP EPROM
    • ERAMCO Rambox
    • ERAMCO RSU2
  4. Service Modules
    • HP41 C (Service 1a)
    • HP41 CV (Service 1c)
    • HP41 CX (Service 2a)
    • Printer Service
    • HP-IL Monitor

So here are a few questions to you:
  1. Are there any iconic historical pieces missing from the display?
  2. I am considering including the Devil (HP IL Dev) module in the "iconic module" row. Thoughts?

Lastly, the two items I do not have and asking if anyone would be willing to sell/trade (see anything on my list you like?) are the ERAMCO Rambox and the HP 41 CW for the completion of the display. I have all other items. If you do, a PM will be much appreciated!

I've purposefully excluded all "modern" marvels, wanting this to be a historic display. There could be a parallel display showing the enduring value and community around this machine, with the MLDL2000, Clonix, NoVram, and CL.

Thanks for your kind advice (and maybe even help in completing the display), as always!

Cheers

PeterP

Cheers,

PeterP
11-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Excellent choices, these depict the full history and amazing breadth of support the 41 family enjoyed from the community and 3rd-party developers.

The only essential missing item IMHO is the AME Port-Extender. Certainly all 41 power users of the day got one and confused both themselves and the 41 bus while learning to set all the dip-switches.

Arguably the Advantage ROM should also be added to the list of Iconic Modules, but this is a matter of taste and purity.

If you're considering the Devil ROM you probably should have the HP-IL Module too; on second thought, this should probably be included anyhow.

--Bob Prosperi
11-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Thanks Bob, the HP-IL module is a good idea, indicating the connectivity to the rest of the world (all the way to the bulletin boards via the acoustic coupler!)

Cheers

PeterP

Cheers,

PeterP
11-23-2017, 05:58 PM
I regard the Time module truly iconic.

HP-IL, Wand and perhaps Extended I/O module. Advantage module and IR-module, the two late modules from HP.

82166C, the prototype kit for HP-IL with components and development module.

If you have an early MLDL product, that could also be considered.

For history, a memory module and quad memory showing how it progressed.

A rugged case?
11-23-2017, 06:16 PM
Ok, it's not iconic, but the logical sequence: The HP41Cl is missing, as well as a MLDL200 and a Clonix....
11-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Happy to hear that you'll keep the 41CY. I've never seen a 41CW, maybe it only existed in ads and was never really produced because the price gap between the 41CY and 41CW was too small (DM 1499 vs. DM 1378 in March 1987).
01-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Chrismas & birthday in one single day Wink
Finally Peters raisins found a new home. The parcel is incredible - I think, I will need some days for the unboxing, testing, playing and inventory.... An update of hp-collection.org is required. Hope you enjoy the rambox as well.
01-18-2018, 08:40 PM
(01-18-2018 05:56 PM)HP-Collection Wrote:  Chrismas & birthday in one single day Wink
Finally Peters raisins found a new home. The parcel is incredible - I think, I will need some days for the unboxing, testing, playing and inventory.... An update of hp-collection.org is required. Hope you enjoy the rambox as well.

My sincere pleasure!! While currently I'm only dreaming about it and how I'll restore the OS and all the fun things I can do for the display, I still need to wait for all my stuff to arrive from US and UK to my new home. Oh sweet anticipation...

Cheers,

PeterP
01-18-2018, 09:33 PM
(11-11-2017 08:48 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(11-11-2017 05:55 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  When I opened the webpage, Chrome offered to translate the page, so I clicked the button and was surprised to find that Google does a very good job at translating the website. Anybody know if Google Translate will translate a response to a post?

Dave

Het lijkt er niet op. Ik heb het zojuist geprobeerd, door de taal van mijn iPhone op Nederlands te zetten, en dan deze pagina in Chrome te openen. Chrome bood aan de pagina in het Nederlands te vertalen, en ik zei ja, en de pagina werd vertaald. Toen klikte ik op Quote om op jouw bericht te antwoorden, en in het tekstvak verscheen jouw bericht in het Engels. Zo te zien vertaalt Chrome de inhoud van tekstvakken niet. Ik probeer nu daadwerkelijk iets te posten, waarvan de eerste helft in het Nederlands en de tweede in het Engels.

It would appear not. I just tried it by setting the language of my iPhone to Dutch, and then opened this page in Chrome. Chrome offered to translate the page to Dutch, and I said yes, and the page was translated. Then I clicked Quote to reply to your post, and in the message composition box, your post was shown in English. It looks like Chrome leaves text editing boxes alone. Now I'll try to actually post something, the first half of which is in Dutch and the second in English.
I selected the Dutch text, right-clicked and then and clicked Translate Text. The following came out:

‎It doesn't seem like it. I have just tried, by the language of Dutch, and then my iPhone on this page in Chrome. Chrome offered to translate the page in Dutch, and I said yes, and the page was translated. When I clicked on Quote to your message in the text box, and appeared to answer your message in English. So see translates the contents of text boxes not Chrome. I now try actually posting anything, of which the first half in the Dutch and the second in English.‎

Tom L
Cui bono?
01-18-2018, 10:33 PM
(01-18-2018 09:33 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I selected the Dutch text, right-clicked and then and clicked Translate Text. The following came out:

Yes, but what I was trying to address was this question:

If I set the language of my system to some-language-that-isn't-English, say, Dutch, and allow Chrome to translate an English-language page, what happens if I post a message, in Dutch, on that page? Does it get translated to the page's original language before being submitted?

That would be nice, because one would be able to interact with a forum in a foreign language, and having all translation from that language to yours, and from your language to that foreign language, be handled automatically. And it appeared, at least when I wrote that, that the answer was no. (Whether or not Google's translations are actually good enough to make this work in practice is another question entirely...)
01-20-2018, 07:49 PM
Today, when I took a closer look at the items I bought, I had to laugh:
The purchased multicase is not only in very good condition, its serial number is even exactly following my second device. Probably there are so few of them that this is almost no coincidence. The two devices are even scratched on the same side of the case in the same font with the owner - equal as well.
Do you also have two devices with following serial number?
01-20-2018, 11:31 PM
I have two BOXED HP-55s with adjacent SNs. Not sure why I hang onto the pair asi don’t think they are more valuable together!
01-21-2018, 01:21 AM
On a similar tangent, some of us are getting, well, greyer (or grayer in USofA).

I think some of us might like to see our collective collections going to a worthy cause, institution or individual; rather than being left in a pile with the rest of our "estate". How do we handle the collections in our will?

Any thoughts?

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)