Update of Emu28 to v1.28
03-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Update of Emu28 to v1.28
Emu28 v1.28 is available at http://hp.giesselink.com.

This is a maintenance update. A complete list of bugfixes and changes is available here.

Christoph
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2014, 10:22 PM
RE: Update of Emu28 to v1.28
Thank you Christoph. I think everyone here really appreciates your dedication to this emulator. I know I do. Thanks again.
Find all posts by this user
03-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Is there any hope of getting a native UNIX or Linux version of your emulator?

I haven't tried it because I don't have a Windows box and haven't for over a decade but I understand it is extremely good and helpful with writing code before downloading to the device.

I just started using X48 and it's nice but I do not know what it is capable of yet.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
03-20-2014, 10:09 PM
(03-19-2014 08:17 PM)HP67 Wrote:  Is there any hope of getting a native UNIX or Linux version of your emulator?

No there isn't. The emulator family base (Emu28, Emu42, Emu48, Emu71/Win) is highly optimized to the Windows OS environment. It's one of my personal developers philosophy. Restrict yourself to only a couple of programs and environments (in this particular case to Win x86 or x64, at the moment for Win9x until Win8), but then make it right with no compromises.

The big problem of these program are, the share a quite large amount of source code, but they don't have a common repository; the code is copied. So for every change in these common parts I have to do the same fix 7 other times. :(

One solution to use these programs in the UNIX world (Linux or Mac) is using wine. Especially Emu42 was tested with WineHQ some time ago (you may have a look at the wine AppDB).

(03-19-2014 08:17 PM)HP67 Wrote:  I just started using X48 and it's nice but I do not know what it is capable of yet.

At start of my Emu48 maintain development in 1997 I compared Emu48 v1.0 with x48 v0.4.0. In general both programs had been on an equal level at this time, with advantages in some aspects on x48 and in other aspects on Emu48. But I ported these advantages of x48 (disassembler, debugger, serial port emulation, ...) to Emu48 combined with massive work on the emulation quality over the years.

And that's the big difference, nobody invested the time (over years) I spend on Emu48 to improve the x48 base. And this also a problem of Droid48 (which base on x48 source code) for the Android platform. The emulation base was never, or only in parts, updated to the knowledge of Emu48.

And that's a fact, many small Open Source projects have died, not because of bad source code, they died because no follower continued the work...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Thank you. I appreciate the explanations and I agree with your approach, even if I don't have a good way of using your excellent work at the moment.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
03-21-2014, 03:08 PM
(03-21-2014 11:37 AM)HP67 Wrote:  Thank you. I appreciate the explanations and I agree with your approach, even if I don't have a good way of using your excellent work at the moment.

Wine is a very good way to use emu*. I have tested them all without issue.

If you are using a non-x86 processor, then Wine will do you no good.

Emu48 has been ported to OS/X (Intel and PPC) and iOS (ARM). Thankfully Emu* is open source allowing for any that want to make the effort to port to another platform.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)