Poll: How do you use yours
Collector
Daily driver (user)
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Collector or daily user
10-21-2017, 06:47 AM
RE: Collector or daily user
(10-21-2017 01:32 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  My HP-42S used to be my daily driver, until concern about the dwindling supply of these machines prompted me to preserve them in software, by writing Free42. Now Free42 is my daily driver, and my HP-42S is retired and lives in a desk drawer, next to my HP-25 and HP-67. I still get out all three of those machines from time to time, but that is just for fun. I never use them in the sense of getting something done. I do like having them, though. Whether that makes me a collector or not, I couldn't say.

Interesting bit about the birth of free42

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2017, 04:36 PM
I'm a daily driver, for sure. As a student, I don't think I'll use my calculator more in my life than now. I use the HP-12C (modern version) for my accounting class. I use my HP 50g for everything else.

If my HP-12C was to break, I can buy a new one and call it a day.

If my HP 50g breaks, I have a spare in my drawer in its package. It has been used only once to confirm the key quality, what version is on there, what apps are on there, get the batteries out of there so they don't explode, etc. I bought my current HP 50g for 65 U.S dollars and my spare was bought a month later at 68 U.S dollars.
10-21-2017, 05:08 PM
I collect them and use them too. In fact I bring a different one with me almost daily for my work needs. I mostly use the Spice series, like the HP-33E I have right now in front of me. Yes I am at work on Saturday :-(

Back to work­...
10-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Should shave a third vote header: user and collector.

Cycle through the cockpit based on most to least, the first two always with me:
  • HP 01 (now with the Panamatik module, before the standard HP version)
  • HP 41CL + IR printer. (Before CL was the CX)
  • HP42s. + IR printer. (32k memory)
  • DM42. + IR printer (beta testing but need stopwatch function)
  • HP 29E. + IR printer. (GPS IR ENHANCED PANAMATIK!!!!)
  • DM41. (No printer option)
  • WP34. + IR printer
  • HP71B
  • HP 67
  • HP 34
  • HP 19C
  • HP 48GX + IR printer
  • HP Prime

Plus whatever I take to HPPC in London or feel like showcasing on the flight deck. Even the 97.

Geoff
10-21-2017, 11:58 PM
(10-21-2017 07:33 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Should shave a third vote header: user and collector.
Hello Geoff,
I has the same thought but then I realized that we could select both options, which I did.
The list is made out of check boxes instead of radio buttons.
Sylvain
10-22-2017, 12:37 AM
yeah, I saw the poll options would allow for multiple choices.

So I picked up a non working 48sx from ebay hoping I can cobble together a working one from it and mine.
10-22-2017, 06:45 PM
Oops,

Talk about regimented! I did not even consider the and/or option!
10-22-2017, 08:45 PM
(10-22-2017 06:45 PM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  Oops,

Talk about regimented! I did not even consider the and/or option!

Heh. Even my good Kiwi self noticed that! He would only have had to have the "both" option if he'd used radio buttons instead of checkboxes. As it is, he chose the simpler route.

I was grateful, because it's obvious that most of us are not just collectors. My opinion is: what's the point in collecting if you never use them? I've also noticed with this poll that there aren't many "pure" collectors, most collectors also use theirs to some extent. Trying to get my head around the hp41Cx eco-culture with all its ROMS etc could have me seriously wondering about the general level of sanity among hp41Cx collectors, so I'm grateful I've got my 50g.

(Post 121)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-22-2017, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2017 09:03 PM by bshoring.)
I've got 6 usable HP calculators (5 of them with LED's). I rotate them so all get used as my "Go To" machine, but remove the batteries from them when they are not being used. For the last few months, my main one is the HP-80 and I do currently have an HP-35 fired up as a backup. Being retired, my day to day calculating needs are quite simple.

I do have all of Cuvee's HP simulators on my phone, and sometimes I use one to figure a tip in a restaurant.

There are other times I really get into writing programs for them, but I've been distracted lately.

Regards,
Bob
10-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Owning more than 3 and less than 10 (HP) calcs, I'm most probably a collector.
I'm also a daily user, circulating mostly between my Prime, 50G and 35S.

I will, however, extend my calculator collection with the SM 42 as soon as it is available for us non-beta-testers.

Esben
28s, 35s, 49G+, 50G, Prime G2 HW D, SwissMicros DM42, DM32, WP43 Pilot
Elektronika MK-52 & MK-61

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)