HP50G: Recommendation for equation manager to organize equations
01-14-2024, 01:29 PM
HP50G: Recommendation for equation manager to organize equations
Hi everyone, long time lurker here. I know the HP50G is not very popular here but these days it still might be the only place frequented by people using the HP50G.

Just recently I got back to my HP50G after I tried for quite some time to make the HP Prime my workhorse for quick calculations. I ported my extensive collection of equations from the HP50G to the HP Prime and used it with SolveSys from Han Dong (HPSolo). While SolveSys is a great program and makes working with equations on the Prime a lot easier I realized that I still prefer the HP50G over the Prime. But going back to the HP50G I have to say not everything is perfect (for me) on the HP50G either.

My equations on the HP50G are stored in different directories (by topics) and I use them either directly with the built in numerical solver or if I need multiple equations with SolveSys (The one by Sune Bredahl). But sometimes I have to check my notes to figure out what a certain variable is for and sometimes I delete equations by accident or (worse) change them without noticing. Usually no big deal as I have the equations stored in the flash rom anyway. Still I would prefer to have my equations either stored or at least managed by a lib so I can also add some info regarding the variables.

I'm aware that some good equation managers are already out there and so I tried quite a few of them (most of the ones listed on hpcalc.org). Some do more or less what I'm looking for. EQL+ (by Arnaud Amiel & Wolfgang Rautenberg) is almost what I'm looking for but I don't have use for the (big) equation library included. There is also EQLu a stripped down version of EQL+ (which would be perfect) but it seems to be missing some lib as it only works properly if EQL+ is installed along as well.

What are my best options in order to achieve the following work flow:
-Store my equations in a nested list along with infos regarding the variables used (I don't plan to create grobs, text will do) for use in an equation manager like EQL+ (or EQLu)
-Browse the equations (topics and at least subtopics) fast similar to the one provided by HP or EQL+
-Put the equations on the stack either to solve them later with SolveSys or with the numerical solver. I don't care too much about MES-functionality but if that feature should be included in the equation manager I would prefer it to work.

I considered splitting EQL+ with OT49+ and rebuilding it without the equation library so that it only contains the equations added by me (UsrBox) but I doubt I'm able to decompile and change any code should that be a necessity. And besides it might be considered rude to alter someone else's code.

I would like some recommendations or comments on how to achieve what I'm looking for. I'm aware that there is at least one equation manager commercially available and I didn't try that one yet.

Thanks for your advice, recommendations or comments on the matter.

Regards
Roman
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2024, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2024 11:51 AM by ramon_ea1gth.)
RE: HP50G: Recommendation for equation manager to organize equations
On my side, I'm going to give PEQM a try. It's a small program from Tim Wessman and looks convenient, as it allows units, some notes and the equation solver can be launched. Previously I was using the commercial version of Treebrowser, which works nicely, but cannot be run in an emulator. And apparently, the software development at Software49g, in charge of Treebrowser among other excellent applications, looks stalled since 2020 (from my experience, there is at least a glitch in the OSE main library of that software that restarts the calculator when working with the stack).

Ramón
Valladolid, Spain
TI-50, Casio fx-180P, HP48GX, HP50g, HP Prime G2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-21-2024, 11:44 AM
I use PEQUM as well.
It integrates nicely with HP50 built in solver and MES, but not with Solvesys and built-in equation library.
It handles uom, notes, variables explanation and pictures
01-22-2024, 08:27 PM
Thank you for your comments. I considered PEQUM and had a look at its documentation. Unfortunately the documentation is missing the NOTE feature which allows you to add some text to your equations. Initially I skipped PEQUM because I couldn't see how to add infos regarding the variables but installed it anyhow at some later point and found the NOTE feature.

The reason that I won't use PEQUM is because I prefer the equation library in the EQL+ style. So it's really only a personal preference and not missing functionality on PEQUM.

I did also consider TreeBrowser as I mainly read good things about it. I wasn't aware that it won't run on an emulator though but I figured that having three HP50Gs (one for work, one at home and a spare one) and two HP49Gs is a disadvantage for once as the software is bound to the S/N of the calcutor.

So far I wasn't able to make EqLU work properly and also failed to strip EQL+ down (removing the included library) so I'm using unmodified EQL+ now. I really like its fast equation browser and the option to create topics and subtopics. EQL+ can also be used with units but I almost never use this functionality. To speed up the process of entering the equations I made use of DebugX (DebugX --> Emulator --> SD-CARD --> HP 50G).

regards
Roman

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)