New Multi Calculator
10-16-2017, 02:08 AM
New Multi Calculator
Hi all,

I'm still fiddling around with the calculators.

I have put together a new calculator that emulates the original microcode of the following 19 models all on a single $4.00 chip.

Classics - 35, 35 (bug), 45, 55, 65, 67, 70, 80,
Woodstock - 21, 22, 25, 27, 29c,
Spice - 31e, 32e, 33e, 34c, 37e, 38e

The HP65 and 67 have a small memory card that can store up to 51 programs, but might soon have storage for up to 819 programs.

Once in menu mode you can scroll through each model and select the one you want to use. As the ROM code is already in memory it is ready to use immediately.

The picture shows the calculator waiting for the user to select the HP-67 as the operational model.

Still a couple of minor issues to iron out with the continuous memory models, but seems ok so far.

cheers

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2017, 02:32 AM
RE: New Multi Calculator
Glad to see your still active!
10-16-2017, 07:44 AM
Very interesting!

Do you plan to make some available for us, at a cost, of course, when you finish this prototype?

TIA
10-16-2017, 10:09 AM
It would be nice if this could be used with the case and keyboard from a real classic series calculator! I love the real keyboards particularly....

Nigel (UK)
10-16-2017, 10:47 AM
(10-16-2017 07:44 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  Very interesting!

Do you plan to make some available for us, at a cost, of course, when you finish this prototype?

TIA

The new chip is compatable with the original circuit design that is part of the cce33 download from teenix.org

I don't have access to producing kits any more so I can no longer get cheaper parts. I did make the PCB available at cost which is all I can do.

cheers

Tony
10-16-2017, 10:54 AM
(10-16-2017 10:09 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  It would be nice if this could be used with the case and keyboard from a real classic series calculator! I love the real keyboards particularly....

Nigel (UK)

This could be a possibility from another forum member.

This new program is compatable with that interface, so theoretically you should be able to run a HP67 from inside a HP35 case as long as the keyboard and LED controller still work. Key overlays would be an issue tho :-)

The PRGM/RUN, TMR, BEG/END DEG/RAD switches can be set to operate mechanically or via the keyboard from the menu system

cheers

Tony
10-16-2017, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2017 02:16 PM by Harald.)
(10-16-2017 10:54 AM)teenix Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 10:09 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  It would be nice if this could be used with the case and keyboard from a real classic series calculator! I love the real keyboards particularly....

Nigel (UK)

This could be a possibility from another forum member.

This new program is compatable with that interface, so theoretically you should be able to run a HP67 from inside a HP35 case as long as the keyboard and LED controller still work. Key overlays would be an issue tho :-)

The PRGM/RUN, TMR, BEG/END DEG/RAD switches can be set to operate mechanically or via the keyboard from the menu system

cheers

Tony

I guess Tony is talking about me Smile

I have made a replacement board for the classic series claculators. A couple of forum memebers already have one as beta testers, but I was holding back on making it available because I was not happy with it yet. But once Tonys new software is finished (and I must say he once again impresses me with his progress!!!) I will switch to his new PIC controller and software.

This will be a drop in replacement for the existing Classic PCB.
You can find some info here.
10-17-2017, 06:06 AM
(10-16-2017 02:08 AM)teenix Wrote:  I have put together a new calculator that emulates the original microcode of the following 19 models all on a single $4.00 chip.

Hi Tony,

Congratulation! My highest respect for your emulator especially for your coding in assembler. I use a lot of assembler code too, but only for the time and space critical parts in the PIC16F1618/19.

I'm working on a similar project, running the same multi calculators on a small hardware "Woodstock Low Power", which can be used in any woodstock calculator. Still I have to bring together the emulators for classic woodstock spice and HP-01 in one code piece.

Which processor did you use to get all the firmware into one chip?

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
10-17-2017, 07:20 AM
(10-17-2017 06:06 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 02:08 AM)teenix Wrote:  I have put together a new calculator that emulates the original microcode of the following 19 models all on a single $4.00 chip.

Hi Tony,

Congratulation! My highest respect for your emulator especially for your coding in assembler. I use a lot of assembler code too, but only for the time and space critical parts in the PIC16F1618/19.

I'm working on a similar project, running the same multi calculators on a small hardware "Woodstock Low Power", which can be used in any woodstock calculator. Still I have to bring together the emulators for classic woodstock spice and HP-01 in one code piece.

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

I am tempted to get a Woodstock low power as well Smile

Tony is using a PIC18F47K40.
10-17-2017, 08:35 AM
(10-17-2017 06:06 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Hi Tony,

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard

Thanks

As Harald mentioned PIC18F47K40, 128KB ROM

I had to compress the microcode slightly to fit it all into memory but there is now ample room for the software to run.

The chip is a new type and I haven't used the architecture before, so it's been a bigger job than I thought. Getting there tho :-)

cheers

Tony
10-18-2017, 11:26 AM
So did you do rom dumps of the calculators and write an emulator in the PIC or did you code each function out?
10-18-2017, 12:25 PM
(10-18-2017 11:26 AM)EugeneNine Wrote:  So did you do rom dumps of the calculators and write an emulator in the PIC or did you code each function out?

The PIC emulator runs the original microcode from each model.

It works the same as the emulators at teenix.org. You can synchronously run a program from (say) the 67 emulator running on windows and the same program separately from the PIC chip and see both displays flicker exactly the same while the calculations are done.

I got the menu system fully working today which means if the PIC is used in a classic case without TMR/PGM/RUN switch you can select the function(s) from the keyboard. The top left key works normally, unless you hold it down for more than 1/2 second, which then halts the microcode running and swaps to menu mode. From there you can select a switch position like the timer in HP55, select a calculator model, or select a program to run for the HP65 or HP67. These and other functions can also be done from the PC emulator via the USB port.

I had to reorganise some memory space for the continuous memory models today but that is now completed, and the 29C and 34C will continue when power is turned back on or after selecting one of those models to use, bearing in mind that some things are reset like LastX register and running programs stop. Just like the real thing, if the power is removed while running, those models will restart from scratch on the next power on and display Error.

cheers

Tony
10-18-2017, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2017 07:34 PM by EugeneNine.)
Ok, I hadn't seen the teenix site, looks like the software is all just windows stuff though.

I wonder if I could compile x48 onto a PIC Smile
looks like I'd need to move up to a pic24 to have enough rom unless I went external, I haven't tried any of the 16bitters might be fun. Like I need another project Smile
10-20-2017, 03:49 PM
So interesting idea. about half of the x48 files compiled fine in MPLABX. Couple minor errors like ram and rom variables being reserved already for PIC so a simple rename to HPram and HProm let those compile also. Only real issue is when I got to where it wants to allocate a bunch of RAM which a PIC isn't going to have Smile
10-20-2017, 05:54 PM
(10-20-2017 03:49 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  So interesting idea. about half of the x48 files compiled fine in MPLABX. Couple minor errors like ram and rom variables being reserved already for PIC so a simple rename to HPram and HProm let those compile also. Only real issue is when I got to where it wants to allocate a bunch of RAM which a PIC isn't going to have Smile

You'll get hooked and won't be able to stop ;-)

I got the continuous memory working for the 29C in the PIC today and it functions like the real calculator. 34C is next in line.

cheers

Tony
10-23-2017, 07:11 AM
I applaud your efforts on the low power and multi-calc fronts, on all of the fronts actually.
Having had a peek at Bernhard code I see the amount of work the different models need. (I only dissected the 25 and the 67). An enormous amount of work.
10-23-2017, 09:32 PM
(10-23-2017 07:11 AM)Alejandro Paz(Germany) Wrote:  I applaud your efforts on the low power and multi-calc fronts, on all of the fronts actually.
Having had a peek at Bernhard code I see the amount of work the different models need. (I only dissected the 25 and the 67). An enormous amount of work.

I couldn't agree more, developing the PIC code is not without its headaches, but I find it interesting :-)

cheers

Tony
10-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Hi, very interesting project.

Can I ask what is the speed relative to the original models ? Especially the programable ones ?

Thank you.
10-29-2017, 04:01 AM
(10-28-2017 08:40 PM)emersone12 Wrote:  You should collaborate with Swiss Micros to have this multi calculator produced as a production model as it would be very popular.

It would need displays on the keycaps to support all the different models properly.

Pauli
10-29-2017, 05:03 AM
(10-28-2017 08:22 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  Hi, very interesting project.

Can I ask what is the speed relative to the original models ? Especially the programable ones ?

Thank you.

As close as I can get to the original.

cheers

Tony

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)