Integration Issues
10-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Integration Issues
I just purchased my first HP calculator. I thought I'd test out a few integrals, but I kept getting the incorrect answer when I input the expression shown in the photo linked below. Am I formatting something improperly?

https://imgur.com/gallery/Jdv8T
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2017, 03:46 PM
RE: Integration Issues
You should post the input and the output instead of a picture. Why do you believe there is an issue?
10-02-2017, 04:11 PM
(10-02-2017 03:46 PM)parisse Wrote:  You should post the input and the output instead of a picture. Why do you believe there is an issue?

Sorry I’ll do that next time. Were you able to view the input and output through the link? When I did the problem by hand I got (3x^(4/3))/4 + (x^2)/2. Checked Wolfram Alpha and got the same result as when I did it by hand. I realize the latter portion of that result given from the HP is correct, but the first portion is what is confusing me. Why did it leave the ^3sqrt(x) in the answer?
10-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Why not? It's correct as well...
10-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Ok I see what it did. Basically split it into x^1 and x^(1/3). So same thing as what I got manually. Thanks
10-03-2017, 01:22 AM
So since we are on this, what command would you use to combine the roots into 4/3?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-03-2017, 01:55 AM
(10-03-2017 01:22 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  So since we are on this, what command would you use to combine the roots into 4/3?

To be honest I have no idea. Even doing x^(1/3)*x^(3/3) won’t yield x^(4/3). You instead get x*x^(1/3). Maybe there is a setting that allows solutions to have improper fraction powers? Although I haven’t seen such a setting.
10-03-2017, 06:11 AM
You can't rewrite as x^(4/3) because fractional powers are rewritten as x^integer_part*(x^(1/d))^n with n<d.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)